Come here to laugh at United

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

UEFA posts lists for journalists before each CL ties about which languages that the players speak (for interview purposes). And Bale was listed as only speaking English on the most recent one.

For comparisons sake: Lukaku is fluent in 8 languages and is currently learning to speak Lingala as well.

What the fuck is Lingala? Is that how Lingard speaks?

Some of the United fan backlash to Conte is amusing. People somehow made the Conte = Mourinho v2.0 connection in their head even though it's basically not true outside of them both winning titles at Chelsea.

If United appoint Conte they will win the league next year or the year after, but apparently that's not good enough.

Some of the United fan backlash to Conte is amusing. People somehow made the Conte = Mourinho v2.0 connection in their head even though it's basically not true outside of them both winning titles at Chelsea.

If United appoint Conte they will win the league next year or the year after, but apparently that's not good enough.
It's really odd by their supporters. Conte is absolutely in the top 5 managers in the World, they are a club that could afford to buy (purchase price and salary) any player he needs.

For the record I was completely against him joining Tottenham, whilst acknowledging his abilities as a manager, we couldn't have supported the requirement he needs in the transfer market, his record is winning but only having had one of the biggest spends to underpin it (Inter was no exception to this).

The fit couldn't be any better for each party.

The deep routed issue they have is failing to acknowledge that Fergie was a one-off, or an end of an era of the type of coach. The game has moved on from this but their thinking is governed around looking for a coach that could be around for +10yrs. It's why they are looking at Poch, they think he might be in this mould, I even understand the thinking about him but all the evidence supports that Poch would be no different to a Klopp or Pep or Bielsa or Naglesmann or whoever......Clubs who have embarrassed the transient nature of the head coach succeed because they have already mapped out the succession plan the day the new guy walks into the office.

I think United fans are in a perpetual state of flux. They had arguably the greatest modern manager who unlike Pep didn’t need billions to win things and play great football at the same time. All their managers after that look total shit by comparison.

To make matter worse the only other guy who plays great football and wins things without £2bn spent manages Liverpool. Conte isn’t as a dull as he is being made out but I can see how he doesn’t meet expectations, maybe United fans need to lower their expectations. Fergie is gone and Klopp ain’t managing them either. Perhaps Conte isn’t as good all round as Fergie or Klopp in terms of both success and football style but he is an improvement none the less.

It isn’t really a surprise there were spurs fans doing the same in the summer when he was linked with us. Some people are just thick.

“Reported to the Police” 😂

No doubt someone who reports something like that to the Police will get done for wasting Police time!

Haha. Perhaps Phil would like to be paid like a shop worker for his whole life. If someone paid me £100k a week and I got sacked at the end of the year with a big pay off I could live with it.

It's really odd by their supporters. Conte is absolutely in the top 5 managers in the World, they are a club that could afford to buy (purchase price and salary) any player he needs.

For the record I was completely against him joining Tottenham, whilst acknowledging his abilities as a manager, we couldn't have supported the requirement he needs in the transfer market, his record is winning but only having had one of the biggest spends to underpin it (Inter was no exception to this).

The fit couldn't be any better for each party.

The deep routed issue they have is failing to acknowledge that Fergie was a one-off, or an end of an era of the type of coach. The game has moved on from this but their thinking is governed around looking for a coach that could be around for +10yrs. It's why they are looking at Poch, they think he might be in this mould, I even understand the thinking about him but all the evidence supports that Poch would be no different to a Klopp or Pep or Bielsa or Naglesmann or whoever......Clubs who have embarrassed the transient nature of the head coach succeed because they have already mapped out the succession plan the day the new guy walks into the office.
They apparently want Poch because he seems to be more "controllable" than Conte according to some new reports.

This of course ignores the fact that Poch had a lot of swing and control at Spurs, and was as chill as he was regarding the financials because he and Levy are actual friends outside of football.

I can't see Poch going from being a puppet at PSG, to being another puppet at United. He'll want to go to a club where he has control again.

They apparently want Poch because he seems to be more "controllable" than Conte according to some new reports.

This of course ignores the fact that Poch had a lot of swing and control at Spurs, and was as chill as he was regarding the financials because he and Levy are actual friends outside of football.

I can't see Poch going from being a puppet at PSG, to being another puppet at United. He'll want to go to a club where he has control again.
He will not get that control (he had with us) ever again at a big Club. There isn't a big Club that doesn't have a DoF now. As I write this Real Madrid spring to mind, I don't know if they have one or not now???

Poch earned the right not to have one when he was here but I think this one the one side of his game that I would question if he's any good at. It all depends on what the relationship is like when working with one, how both can complement each other but it a no go from day one if DoF and Head Coach share different philosophies (Poch and McDermott were super tight because they shared the same principles and philosophies (I know he wasn't DoF but using him as an example of a joined-up working principle).

He will not get that control (he had with us) ever again at a big Club. There isn't a big Club that doesn't have a DoF now. As I write this Real Madrid spring to mind, I don't know if they have one or not now???

Poch earned the right not to have one when he was here but I think this one the one side of his game that I would question if he's any good at. It all depends on what the relationship is like when working with one, how both can complement each other but it a no go from day one if DoF and Head Coach share different philosophies (Poch and McDermott were super tight because they shared the same principles and philosophies (I know he wasn't DoF but using him as an example of a joined-up working principle).
Poch 100% wont get the same control that he previously had with us at any other club. But if he returned to us he would definitely be more involved in the decision making than he would be at United or another big club. Levy values him too much.

Regarding Real Madrid they don't have one with that particular title according to transfermarkt. Chendo has been head of football operations since 1998, and José Ángel Sánchez has been the CEO since 2009 so their two main men regarding the day to day stuff have been installed for a long time it seems.

Poch 100% wont get the same control that he previously had with us at any other club. But if he returned to us he would definitely be more involved in the decision making than he would be at United or another big club. Levy values him too much.

Regarding Real Madrid they don't have one with that particular title according to transfermarkt. Chendo has been head of football operations since 1998, and José Ángel Sánchez has been the CEO since 2009 so their two main men regarding the day to day stuff have been installed for a long time it seems.

There’s no way Poch comes back without total control and assurances from Levy. He knows he wouldn’t get that at any other club. Regardless it’s only The Star saying about him going there. So it’s not true.

There’s no way Poch comes back without total control and assurances from Levy. He knows he wouldn’t get that at any other club. Regardless it’s only The Star saying about him going there. So it’s not true.
I don't think that he would be given 100% control if he returned. He would be a if not the key decision maker. But he would have to compromise on scouting and such to Paratici or whoever else is the DOF.

Modern football doesn't allow for managers to have 100% control any more. But at Spurs he would be given as close to it as possible.

Conte had a fairly easy run at it first season with Chavs. He inherited practically all of the 2014/15 title winning side. Guardiola and Klopp were both in their first full seasons and carrying out big overhauls. The standard wasn’t that hectic. Leicester had won it the year before. Year 2 at the Chavs, he wasn’t at the races and quit end of season.

He’s a fairly prickly sort Conte. I’m not all that convinced that he’d be the man for the type of overhaul needed at Old Trafford.

He’s got a poor record in Europe too.

I was not very impressed with United yesterday.

They were poor for 40 minutes and we could have gone ahead twice until Ronaldo beat a league 1 defender for the goal.

The 2nd half was mainly due to our awfulness rather than anything United did.

Back
Top Bottom