Come here to laugh at West Spam

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

9th is about the level I would expect from Moyes to be able to take a team.

He had a similar finish the season after finishing 6th. As for getting worse every transfer window, of course the amount spent is important, but it also has to be balanced.

They have the 8th most expensive team, and Newcastle in 7th have a spend of 200m more. I don’t think it’s as simple as “They’re 8th in spend, so a good manager gets them 6/7th” without looking at the teams competing with them and their spend as well.

The only team who spend less than the who are doing better is Villa because they have a good manager and have done good business as well.

In the case of west ham, Moyes and the director had different visions so Moyes wasn’t even able to get the type of team he wanted. He got that at Everton which is why he was able to do better there.
He hasn't built the squad well, they have the 2nd oldest team in the division, and the good players he has bought (and there are a few that I've liked) he has wasted their talents by asking them to play shite football. I'd argue that this is why he has lost the battle vs the DoF.

I remain firmly in the camp that for a football club to maximize and more importantly sustain their performance this can only really be achieved by having a team play greater to the sum of its parts. I've only seen this achieved by Clubs playing a more progressive brand of football. There is a downside to this that has to be built into the Club's plans and that's the players being cherry-picked by the larger Clubs (Southampton, Monaco, Brighton etc have all been raided) but I still think it beats having a manager play a low-block and keep their fingers crossed the shots against don't go in, it's rare for teams to perform consistently in doing this, West Ham prove my point, also look at Leicester (relegation threat -win the league - relegated).

He hasn't built the squad well, they have the 2nd oldest team in the division, and the good players he has bought (and there are a few that I've liked) he has wasted their talents by asking them to play shite football. I'd argue that this is why he has lost the battle vs the DoF.

I remain firmly in the camp that for a football club to maximize and more importantly sustain their performance this can only really be achieved by having a team play greater to the sum of its parts. I've only seen this achieved by Clubs playing a more progressive brand of football. There is a downside to this that has to be built into the Club's plans and that's the players being cherry-picked by the larger Clubs (Southampton, Monaco, Brighton etc have all been raided) but I still think it beats having a manager play a low-block and keep their fingers crossed the shots against don't go in, it's rare for teams to perform consistently in doing this, West Ham prove my point, also look at Leicester (relegation threat -win the league - relegated).
The squad hasn’t been built well due to the disagreement in philosophy between him and the director, that’s the clubs fault.

We know how Moyes plays, don’t recruit those players in that case. And honestly I’d take Moyes and his experience with mid table level clubs in the Prem over this sporting director.

You don’t need to play progressive football to maintain that performance. Here are a few examples.

Charlton Athletic were in the prem for years under Curbishley. He left and the next season they get relegated and have never recovered since.

Allardyce left Bolton in 2007 with two games left in the season when they were in fifth. They finished 16th the next season. Then spent the next five years fighting relegation before finally going down and have never recovered since.

Then he goes to Newcastle, gets sacked after 8 months and they fell off a cliff and got relegated the next season.

Goes to Blackburn when they are in a crisis, saves them from relegation and gets them mid table the next season. Gets sacked the next season while they’re mid table.

Take a wild guess what happens next?

That’s right, they got relegated the next season and never recovered since.

Respect the dinosaurs. They know what they’re doing.

The squad hasn’t been built well due to the disagreement in philosophy between him and the director, that’s the clubs fault.

We know how Moyes plays, don’t recruit those players in that case. And honestly I’d take Moyes and his experience with mid table level clubs in the Prem over this sporting director.

You don’t need to play progressive football to maintain that performance. Here are a few examples.

Charlton Athletic were in the prem for years under Curbishley. He left and the next season they get relegated and have never recovered since.

Allardyce left Bolton in 2007 with two games left in the season when they were in fifth. They finished 16th the next season. Then spent the next five years fighting relegation before finally going down and have never recovered since.

Then he goes to Newcastle, gets sacked after 8 months and they fell off a cliff and got relegated the next season.

Goes to Blackburn when they are in a crisis, saves them from relegation and gets them mid table the next season. Gets sacked the next season while they’re mid table.

Now that was some sexy patterns!!! Your saying West Ham get relegated right!!!

I'm totally the opposite, I'd have Steiden over Moyes any day of the week, have him own the "project" recruiter a manager that plays the way you want and not the other way around, especially when the manager plays a shite brand of football. (This is what happened at Leverkusen and look at them now).

Steiden's only been in place since July 23, he brought in Kudus who I think is great (raw but with huge potential, the PL's most prolific dribbler I believe??). I think Alvarez has been kinda okay too. The CB looks shite so far though. I'm confused as to who brought in Ward-Prose but IMO he's been a shit addition, he offers nothing from open play, he's just good at FK's and now his prowess at these has diminished.

The league has moved on considerably from Curbishly & Allardyce's days, like I said earlier Moyes was great when he was at Everton, doing exactly what these two did, but that was TWENTY years ago.

But I will go back to my initial and fundamental point, West Ham is the 7/8th richest Club in the PL, they should be finishing there every single season. They don't. They don't because they have a dinosaur in charge, playing absolutely unwatchable football.

It's a real shame Moyes has gone because I think they will push on now with Steiden at the helm (I just hope Sullivan does a Sullivan and falls out with him and appoints Noble).

I'm totally the opposite, I'd have Steiden over Moyes any day of the week, have him own the "project" recruiter a manager that plays the way you want and not the other way around, especially when the manager plays a shite brand of football. (This is what happened at Leverkusen and look at them now).

Steiden's only been in place since July 23, he brought in Kudus who I think is great (raw but with huge potential, the PL's most prolific dribbler I believe??). I think Alvarez has been kinda okay too. The CB looks shite so far though. I'm confused as to who brought in Ward-Prose but IMO he's been a shit addition, he offers nothing from open play, he's just good at FK's and now his prowess at these has diminished.

The league has moved on considerably from Curbishly & Allardyce's days, like I said earlier Moyes was great when he was at Everton, doing exactly what these two did, but that was TWENTY years ago.

But I will go back to my initial and fundamental point, West Ham is the 7/8th richest Club in the PL, they should be finishing there every single season. They don't. They don't because they have a dinosaur in charge, playing absolutely unwatchable football.

It's a real shame Moyes has gone because I think they will push on now with Steiden at the helm (I just hope Sullivan does a Sullivan and falls out with him and appoints Noble).
Moyes was definitely the one who brought Ward Prowse. The reason is very simple, set pieces. Set pieces get you points.

I trust his judgement, he knows what type of players are needed for the prem.

I don’t actually think the league has moved on from those types of managers. Crystal Palave brought a 75 year old Roy Hodgson out of retirement because he knows what he’s doing even now.

Pep is literally copying what Tony Pulis and Allardyce were doing 20 years ago.

West ham have been 7/8th for the majority of this season, where you say they should be finishing. They will finish lower because the players have downed tools since they know Moyes is gone.

I’m the opposite, I’m glad Moyes is gone. I actually do think they have potential but more progressive football isn’t necessarily the solution. Even though they have money now and can attract players like Kudus and Pacqueta I’m still not sure if they can consistently shop in that market and constantly get players of that level to push on.

Moyes was definitely the one who brought Ward Prowse. The reason is very simple, set pieces. Set pieces get you points.

I trust his judgement, he knows what type of players are needed for the prem.

I don’t actually think the league has moved on from those types of managers. Crystal Palave brought a 75 year old Roy Hodgson out of retirement because he knows what he’s doing even now.

Pep is literally copying what Tony Pulis and Allardyce were doing 20 years ago.

West ham have been 7/8th for the majority of this season, where you say they should be finishing. They will finish lower because the players have downed tools since they know Moyes is gone.

I’m the opposite, I’m glad Moyes is gone. I actually do think they have potential but more progressive football isn’t necessarily the solution. Even though they have money now and can attract players like Kudus and Pacqueta I’m still not sure if they can consistently shop in that market and constantly get players of that level to push on.
I'm inclined to agree Ward-Prouse is his signing, a 29yr old set piece taker that offers nothing in open play (basically playing with 10 ten in order to have him on the field).

Can only judge on the position of the club on the final day of the season but they've been kicking around the 7th mark because they had largely played 3 games more than those clubs around them, I think they will finish 11th (his average league position at West Ham) this season although Brighton's remaining games aren't a given. Another season of underperformance, and one where the manager should have his team playing at its best version of his vision given he's been at the club for nearly 5 seasons.

"Pep is literally copying what Tony Pulis and Allardyce were doing 20 years ago"
200w.gif

I rate their DoF finding good players for a system appropriate for a more progressive style of football (there are several versions as we know). They have wasted all this time under Moyes to have Villa, Bournemouth, and Newcastle steal a march on them, I would tentatively include Brighton in this conversation too but they have sold too many of their best players and the so-called gravy train of talent spotting has pulled into the station). It would be interesting to see where Leicester land next year (they probably have to wait another year as they are likely to get a points deduction).

The best endorsement though is Bungle, he's had his say so likely they will properly push on now he's had his say on the matter. hahaha.........................

View: https://x.com/richardajkeys/status/1787818778069192951

I'm inclined to agree Ward-Prouse is his signing, a 29yr old set piece taker that offers nothing in open play (basically playing with 10 ten in order to have him on the field).

Can only judge on the position of the club on the final day of the season but they've been kicking around the 7th mark because they had largely played 3 games more than those clubs around them, I think they will finish 11th (his average league position at West Ham) this season although Brighton's remaining games aren't a given. Another season of underperformance, and one where the manager should have his team playing at its best version of his vision given he's been at the club for nearly 5 seasons.

"Pep is literally copying what Tony Pulis and Allardyce were doing 20 years ago"
200w.gif

I rate their DoF finding good players for a system appropriate for a more progressive style of football (there are several versions as we know). They have wasted all this time under Moyes to have Villa, Bournemouth, and Newcastle steal a march on them, I would tentatively include Brighton in this conversation too but they have sold too many of their best players and the so-called gravy train of talent spotting has pulled into the station). It would be interesting to see where Leicester land next year (they probably have to wait another year as they are likely to get a points deduction).

The best endorsement though is Bungle, he's had his say so likely they will properly push on now he's had his say on the matter. hahaha.........................

View: https://x.com/richardajkeys/status/1787818778069192951

I won’t comment on the other stuff since I’ve already said what I think.

You might be right on the DOF, I don’t really know anything about him.

But as for Pep copying Pulis and Allardyce, absolutely. They were playing with 4 Cb’s 15 years ago. Pep does it this season and he’s a revolutionary.

Look at Woolwich with set pieces, stoke were doing that before as well. They’re even targeting giants in midfield like Pulis and Allardyce used to have.

Their 0-0 draw was hailed as some tactical chess match. I felt like I was watching a mid table pl match from 2007.

I won’t comment on the other stuff since I’ve already said what I think.

You might be right on the DOF, I don’t really know anything about him.

But as for Pep copying Pulis and Allardyce, absolutely. They were playing with 4 Cb’s 15 years ago. Pep does it this season and he’s a revolutionary.

Look at Woolwich with set pieces, stoke were doing that before as well. They’re even targeting giants in midfield like Pulis and Allardyce used to have.

Their 0-0 draw was hailed as some tactical chess match. I felt like I was watching a mid table pl match from 2007.
That’s just football mate. nothing new or revolutionary. If you’re alluding to the media lording it then yeah it’s what they do. As per the 0-0 draw with goons and city, this is what 95% of teams try and do against them, I’m with you I just shrugged watching that.

Back
Top Bottom