Come here to laugh at West Spam

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm one of those.

The Audi Cup had more prestige than this, on account of the opposition!

We absolutely do not need to be in this competition next season, being out of it enables a new manager to come in and effectively change how we play. Gives him more time on the training ground, understanding his players.

Trudging off to the outer regions of Azerbaijan on a Thursday, followed by a game on Sunday to an ever-increasing level of opposition from the likes of Bournemouth will present itself with a challenge in improving our League Position (the only real measure of how good a team you are). I absolutely do not want to be fighting a relegation battle all season as WH have done.

Whilst I absolutely think this comp is beneath us because it's the Intertot Cup with lipstick, that's not why I want us out of it, it's because it will negatively affect our seasons' performance. Come January do you seriously think the fans would accept us being 17th having just lost 0-1 to Wolves? Whilst licking our lips at the prospect of facing AEK Lamaca? How do you think the fans would treat this, you know the ones that booed Conte' Tottenham off the pitch at his first home game, who boo their own players when being subbed on, the same fans that paint their Twitter profiler purple and gold, are on here posting the same shit almost on a daily basis?

The aim of every club is to want to win every game, so if we are in this comp then the attitude should be just that. To wish not to be in it is a sincere reflection of what is best for the Club.
I'll reiterate a previous point I made: supporters decry the need for "real match time" for players to develop and bed in. Then at the same time say the manager needs "fewer matches" and "more time on the training ground". Supporters, in general, have no consensus on what makes a football team better - they simply want whatever is different than what they have.

I don't subscribe to the silly notion that a single mid-week private chartered flight to Cyprus and back will unwind our season.

West Ham played in Belgium, Romania, Denmark, Cyprus, Belgium, Netherlands, and the Czech Republic to win a trophy.

Anyway, feel how you want to feel. We ain't winning the league or the CL next season, and we're too good for anything else apparently, so I guess that trophy cabinet is gonna remain bare for another couple of decades.

I'll reiterate a previous point I made: supporters decry the need for "real match time" for players to develop and bed in. Then at the same time say the manager needs "fewer matches" and "more time on the training ground". Supporters, in general, have no consensus on what makes a football team better - they simply want whatever is different than what they have.

I don't subscribe to the silly notion that a single mid-week private chartered flight to Cyprus and back will unwind our season.

West Ham played in Belgium, Romania, Denmark, Cyprus, Belgium, Netherlands, and the Czech Republic to win a trophy.

Anyway, feel how you want to feel. We ain't winning the league or the CL next season, and we're too good for anything else apparently, so I guess that trophy cabinet is gonna remain bare for another couple of decades.

Players would rather be playing matches than training.

Managers would rather be playing matches to work on what they have been coaching than playing the under 23s on the practice pitches.

Only time will tell long term if a season out of Europe is a help or hindrance to Ange.

It’s far easier to blood players in the ECL than the PL though. That’s 100% guaranteed.

We might as well just fold the club and all retire to our bedchambers to watch Ajax-Spurs on repeat for the rest of our lives tbf...

I'm not attempting to overpraise West Ham, I'm annoyed at us for being in this competition last year and being so fucking pathetic we went out in the group stage, we should have been comfortably qualified from that in 5 games so that the one that we forfeited didn't matter...

I'm annoyed at us for the number of Europa League campaigns that we limply went out to "farmers" league sides in, funny that the EL was so beneath us previously according to many and yet now that there is an ECL all of a sudden the EL is a serious competition.

Here's an idea for UEFA, invent a 4th Euro trophy (Europa Papa Johnson's Paint Cup???) and al of a sudden the ECL will become prestigious I'm sure...

Anyway, to see us fluff so many opportunities to win a trophy in competitions with such "inferior" opposition year after year, already annoying, was then exacerbated by West Ham just popping along and winning one within a couple of years of qualifying, that's the real annoyance.

It's nothing to do with the perceived prestige of the trophy, or West Ham being great, it's just really fucking annoying.
I do understand what you mean. Each time they shit the bed in Europe I’ve felt it too.

And WH were in a relegation battle literally the entire season, not mentally safe until 4 games from the end of the season but mathematically 2 games from the end of the season.

We have pushed the reset button again. The aim is to go back to a completely different style of football than we have been playing for the past 4yrs. No my expectation isn't that we are going to win a trophy next season because we are changing the way we want to play football. it's a 180 degree change, to facilitate this requires time, time you are not afforded when playing in a European Comp, let alone a tin-pot one designed specifically for lower leagues.

I'm expecting teams like Newcastle, Villa, Woolwich & Brighton (Brighton less so) to struggle next season whilst they juggle European football with an ever-increasingly competitive PL, and all of these teams have already implemented their new identity of playing.

And WH were in a relegation battle literally the entire season, not mentally safe until 4 games from the end of the season but mathematically 2 games from the end of the season.

We have pushed the reset button again. The aim is to go back to a completely different style of football than we have been playing for the past 4yrs. No my expectation isn't that we are going to win a trophy next season because we are changing the way we want to play football. it's a 180 degree change, to facilitate this requires time, time you are not afforded when playing in a European Comp, let alone a tin-pot one designed specifically for lower leagues.

I'm expecting teams like Newcastle, Villa, Woolwich & Brighton (Brighton less so) to struggle next season whilst they juggle European football with an ever-increasingly competitive PL, and all of these teams have already implemented their new identity of playing.
Whatever you say man. We're not winning a trophy in this decade unless we stop turning our noses up at trophies like the EL and ECL. Just being realistic - we aren't going to win the league.

Whatever you say man. We're not winning a trophy in this decade unless we stop turning our noses up at trophies like the EL and ECL. Just being realistic - we aren't going to win the league.
We are not winning a trophy if we don't have a good enough team to get you to a final. The teams that get win the finals are all from the top teams in the league the same teams that have dominated the trophy count for the past 30yrs. You then need a bit of luck to be drawn against Stoke, a relegated Hull, Villa, Watford or Sunderland.

We are not winning a trophy if we don't have a good enough team to get you to a final. The teams that get win the finals are all from the top teams in the league the same teams that have dominated the trophy count for the past 30yrs. You then need a bit of luck to be drawn against Stoke, a relegated Hull, Villa, Watford or Sunderland.
This is true of the league, FA Cup, and CL. The LC is attainable if we don't fuck it up. The EL and the ECL can definitely be won.

We just need to try and win trophies. Tired of the bullshit. This one has been won by Roma and West Ham now, and is tattooed on the arm of Jose Mourinho. It's not below us.

As I've said before, on balance I'd prefer we were in the ECL rather than nothing, and I'd enjoy winning it if we did. You all would despite some pretending otherwise.

I think on balance our new manager might benefit this season from fewer matches. But as a certain manager once alluded to, it's a big shame for Spurs to be out of Europe.

OMG the chavs are treating the rymans league of europe cup like its worth 10 World Cups and 30 Champions League cups in 1 lol ... they will having daily open top ASBO parades for a year lol

OMG the chavs are treating the rymans league of europe cup like its worth 10 World Cups and 30 Champions League cups in 1 lol ... they will having daily open top ASBO parades for a year lol
You haven’t been following this have you.
It might dawn upon some, someday that when you start looking around at other fans forums like city or Liverpool, nobody is doing the belittling of this trophy except here. They’re literally congratulating them and are happy for them to have won a major trophy. Some people should stop pretending that they somehow above it. Then and only maybe then might a trophy be won and fans might stop acting light spoiled idiots. Lower the expectation levels and people might start cheering up a bit.

It might dawn upon some, someday that when you start looking around at other fans forums like city or Liverpool, nobody is doing the belittling of this trophy except here. They’re literally congratulating them and are happy for them to have won a major trophy. Some people should stop pretending that they somehow above it. Then and only maybe then might a trophy be won and fans might stop acting light spoiled idiots. Lower the expectation levels and people might start cheering up a bit.

1. Ngghhhhhh.... Rather not tbh.

2. Probably because they see themselves as operating in a different stratosphere to WH & the ECL; so in some respects their congrats are actually a patronising pat on the proverbial head.

3. They aren't being bitched about by their own fanbase in relation to said victory.

4. They aren't WH's cup final.

5. How are Millwall & Chavs (2 other clubs they claim as rivals) acting towards it all?

Airquotes.gif
Major
Airquotes.gif

Ryan Reynolds Sport GIF by Wrexham AFC

Back
Top Bottom