Cristian Romero

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Him screaming in Maguire's face put a juju on us, it was like touching the FA Cup as you walk out to play the final. Guaranteed jinx.

If you have to gloat then do it at the final whistle or preferably at the end of the season. Not when there's 10 minutes to go.

Him screaming in Maguire's face put a juju on us, it was like touching the FA Cup as you walk out to play the final. Guaranteed jinx.

If you have to gloat then do it at the final whistle or preferably at the end of the season. Not when there's 10 minutes to go.
It was so obviously stupid I actually expected Maguire to head the winner. If it had been a Chelsea player we would all have been slagging their nasty behaviour

That's why we never win anything. We're too nice, even as a fanbase. Grow a pair you lot! Slagging Romero for shouting at Maguire. It's what top professionals do to get into an opponents head. It didn't work? That's fine, it will another time, but we need to have more Romero/Lamela/Dier types on the pitch than Son/Davies types. It's what Chelsea had with Diego Costa, David Luiz, United with Keane, Evra, Ferdinand etc.

He missed his header, and I pointed out (it's on the last page) that he needs to get better at them, but I have no issues if he keeps shit-talking every opponent for the rest of his career. If I were Conte, I'd encourage others to do the same.

People actually think him yelling in maguires face made us lose? No, giving up a goal off a corner did.
No one thinks him shouting at Maguire did shit. The critique of Romero is his aggression is a plus as is his passing and ball carrying. His marking heading and losing runners has been a minus. Which loads of people have pointed out and why he is about par. Its early but pretending he's the reincarnation of VVD is way premature. The Maguire stuff was performative and silly. At the final whistle great....but then it was dunce

Last edited:
I think he has attributes to be a good defender. He strikes me as a flat track bully.

But whoever is the manager for us needs to spend many hours coaching him on his deficiencies. He himself needs to work on those things.

Aerial ability, a lot of this comes down to positioning and willingness to attack the ball.

Needs to stop the petulance. It's one thing being aggressive and a front foot defender, and also wanting to get into the oppositions head. But it's a totally different matter doing stupid shit like lunging into tackles where he has no chance of winning the ball.

He needs to be more streetwise.

Other than that I think he has ability. He's almost the opposite to Sanchez, good on the ball but doesn't attack it aerially.

Sanchez is shit on the ball but is probably the closest CB we have to attack it in the air. His problem is that he suffers from big lapses in concentration also.

I think we should sign him. With coaching he could become a great defender.
I think we all agree that currently we need to get another CB anyway. If we don't sign Romero, we need to get 2 CBs who are better than Romero. The likelihood of that is very low given we have other positions to fix.

Dawson complemented King so well. One was a ball player, although King was good aerially too. Dawson flung himself in front of everything. I honestly believe if Dawson played yesterday they wouldn't have scored the first goal as he would have charged it down unlike Dier. And wouldn't have scored the 3rd as he would have attacked it.

We need a CB in the summer who is left footed, capable of playing in a 2 and attacks the ball to complement Romero.

How many of those are about? Botman, Bastoni?

It's clear he's got a lot of the tools necessary to succeed in the PL. It's just his decision making and his head that concerns me. He seems like a player that plays on instinct and raw talent. But we all know, that the best defenders have excellent decision making and high football IQ. He needs to be coached and has ample room for improvement.

That's why we never win anything. We're too nice, even as a fanbase. Grow a pair you lot! Slagging Romero for shouting at Maguire. It's what top professionals do to get into an opponents head. It didn't work? That's fine, it will another time, but we need to have more Romero/Lamela/Dier types on the pitch than Son/Davies types. It's what Chelsea had with Diego Costa, David Luiz, United with Keane, Evra, Ferdinand etc.

He missed his header, and I pointed out (it's on the last page) that he needs to get better at them, but I have no issues if he keeps shit-talking every opponent for the rest of his career. If I were Conte, I'd encourage others to do the same.

Kind of agree, but also nice if our Dier types could close a player down and our Romero types could mark properly at set pieces.

He’s a solid young player with room to improve. To sign is a no brainer. The fee is not that big for a player at his age. Maguire was about double? I’ll take that business.

TOP athletes are often respectful of their opponents. Athletes near the top but not quite there, who are up there despite lacking quality or ability to focus on task, pull off that sort of shit.

TOP athletes are often respectful of their opponents. Athletes near the top but not quite there, who are up there despite lacking quality or ability to focus on task, pull off that sort of shit.
This is nonsense. Darnswim 🇦🇱 Darnswim 🇦🇱 listed several TOP players at other clubs over the years who "pull off that sort of shit." The reality is top players come with all different types of temperament. There are players like those mentioned in the post you quoted who play better as they shithouse and there are some, like Kane, who are more reserved and let their feet do the talking.

Sergio Ramos is one of the best defenders of the last few decades and he's a total cunt.

His has some real talent, especially on the ball but if he’s going to be a top CB, he has to be able to head the ball properly and actually mark at set pieces.

Laughing in Maguire’s face yesterday was both childish and eventually embarrassing for him when we lost so he needs to stop that kind of stuff immediately
I'm sorry but I disagree with your feelings towards what he did towards Maguire. I think as a club our teams over the years have been well known to be too soft and a bit of a walk over. I think perhaps as petty as it was for him to do that to Maguire, we need more players like Romero who have passion, fire in their belly and a willingness to use a little bit of the dark arts occasionally to help us come across as a team that no one really wants to play or fuck with. Do I want all our players to behave like he did? No. But having at least two of these sort of players in your team I think is necessary, as a means of intimidating the opposing team players prior and during the game, so that it puts them off their game enough for us to gain a bit more of an edge.

Disagree. We were just playing against arguably the greatest all round player of all time when he was on fire

Back
Top Bottom