Cristian Romero

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm sorry but I disagree with your feelings towards what he did towards Maguire. I think as a club our teams over the years have been well known to be too soft and a bit of a walk over. I think perhaps as petty as it was for him to do that to Maguire, we need more players like Romero who have passion, fire in their belly and a willingness to use a little bit of the dark arts occasionally to help us come across as a team that no one really wants to play or fuck with. Do I want all our players to behave like he did? No. But having at least two of these sort of players in your team I think is necessary, as a means of intimidating the opposing team players prior and during the game, so that it puts them off their game enough for us to gain a bit more of an edge.
I get where you're coming from.

But for me, I think he showed a lack of professionalism and acted like a child.
I'm all for a bit of shithousing but laughing in someone's face is only going to fire up the opposition and make you look like an idiot when you dont win.

I also dont think that this kind of stuff will automatically make us a better team.
At the moment the lack of ability to do the basics (head the ball, defend set pieces) as well as the lack of overall quality in the squad is more of an issue. Also factor in the other mental weaknesses, I dont think Romero laughing in someone's face makes any difference.

I get where you're coming from.

But for me, I think he showed a lack of professionalism and acted like a child.
I'm all for a bit of shithousing but laughing in someone's face is only going to fire up the opposition and make you look like an idiot when you dont win.

I also dont think that this kind of stuff will automatically make us a better team.
At the moment the lack of ability to do the basics (head the ball, defend set pieces) as well as the lack of overall quality in the squad is more of an issue. Also factor in the other mental weaknesses, I dont think Romero laughing in someone's face makes any difference.

Shithousery only works when you win, you look silly when you lose, that's the game - you win some you lose some.

Last edited:
Anyone else starting to get a little nervous that we've committed to spending a lot of money on a one season wonder defender?

No. The guy is pure class and exactly what we need. He needs to adapt further to the English game but even in an injury hit season he has shown what is needed. And the price is cheap too.

60 mill for a defender who lacks aerial presence

when you spend that mcuh you want the full package

if over the next few months he improves on it then sure but defenders are expected to head the ball away from danger as a common trait
He needs to improve certainly but I'd ask where we are going to get the full package for £60mil. Not many of those around that the top clubs aren't snapping up.

He needs to improve certainly but I'd ask where we are going to get the full package for £60mil. Not many of those around that the top clubs aren't snapping up.
evan ndicka

has a bit of speed about him too but has aerial presence also

left footed also

if we get him in addition to romero i will be content because they can both cover each others weakness

I think he's making the same mistakes every week, showing he's not really improving.
He's being bypassed even easier than Dier from crosses and he's getting booked too often for pretty silly reasons.
When you consider he could cost 50-60m he's not a million miles away from the likes of VVD who is vastly better, more consistent and more of a lynchpin in the defence.

evan ndicka

has a bit of speed about him too but has aerial presence also

left footed also

if we get him in addition to romero i will be content because they can both cover each others weakness

I wouldn't say that Ndicka is the full, premier league-ready package although admittedly I haven't seen a great deal of him. Coming from the Bundesliga to the PL he would have the same adaptation process as Romero. His international experience is very limited as well.

I think he's making the same mistakes every week, showing he's not really improving.
He's being bypassed even easier than Dier from crosses and he's getting booked too often for pretty silly reasons.
When you consider he could cost 50-60m he's not a million miles away from the likes of VVD who is vastly better, more consistent and more of a lynchpin in the defence.
He'll never be as good as prime Van Dijk, but Romero is currently the same age as VVD was when moving from Celtic to Southampton. He was still at that stage a flawed player with issues in decision making and positioning.

Romero's issue imo is positioning, getting himself prepared for the moment a set-piece is taken.. he has the actual physical ability to jump and challenge/head the ball.. I think the former is much easier trained into a guy than the latter. Fairly confident he'll end up our best signing since Son, one of the few in our squad who give me some hope despite his issues.

problem is once we sign rom and deki thats 100 mill right there, will levy really spend an extra 150 mill to beef us up on top of that i really cant see much happening thats why we need to be careful

I agree we need to be careful. I just think we don't need to get wobbly on Romero. The class is there, it needs working and expanding on and I think we would regret it hugely if we let him go.

I loved it too when he laughed in Maguire's face too.

About time we saw some passion from the players who when we lose constantly get accused of being wasters or not caring when they are on the pitch.

Considering Romero has missed a large chunk of the season, was here for the Nuno debacle too I think he's done well considering. Yes there are areas he needs to work on but we are so quick to judge players and never give them a chance.

I remember when Sanchez first joined, looked an absolute rolls Royce of a player and look how that's turned out.

Anyone else starting to get a little nervous that we've committed to spending a lot of money on a one season wonder defender?
a bit, but we should judge him next season, after the summer preparation with conte.
at inter skriniar fought in the first months to understand how to play with conte system, in the 2nd season he became a monster

Back
Top Bottom