Cristian Romero

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Anyone else starting to get a little nervous that we've committed to spending a lot of money on a one season wonder defender?

Nah, he's talented. It's obvious. This club needs more talented footballers and I'm glad we have him. All the weaknesses he has can be worked on and aren't abnormal for a 23 year old centre back. Rough around the edges players with ability should be given time by the fanbase, he's not one of the many no hopes we have, he's just a work in progress.

The fee obviously isn't ideal and places a lot of expectations on him but that's the market now and we also paid in part for potential.

Nah, he's talented. It's obvious. This club needs more talented footballers and I'm glad we have him. All the weaknesses he has can be worked on and aren't abnormal for a 23 year old centre back. Rough around the edges players with ability should be given time by the fanbase, he's not one of the many no hopes we have, he's just a work in progress.

The fee obviously isn't ideal and places a lot of expectations on him but that's the market now and we also paid in part for potential.

I sincerely hope he shows signs of improvement, or we just have another Sanchez.

60 mill for a defender who lacks aerial presence

when you spend that mcuh you want the full package

if over the next few months he improves on it then sure but defenders are expected to head the ball away from danger as a common trait

I like the way his price is increasing...

He will cost us £42.5m in the Summer.

I wouldn't say that Ndicka is the full, premier league-ready package although admittedly I haven't seen a great deal of him. Coming from the Bundesliga to the PL he would have the same adaptation process as Romero. His international experience is very limited as well.

This is it mate.... You'll always get a few names keenly thrown back at you when asking such questions, but most had Romero down as an essential, must have/can't fail purchase last season yet some of the same voices now doubt him.

(Also see the rabid hindsight posturing regarding Ndombele & Lo Celso.)

It's almost like this scouting game isn't as easy as some like to think.

Him getting on like a dick in Maguire's face just reinforces the question about his self control/temperament and it's not the first time he's done that on an opposition player. Be hard and competitive though, not fucking stupid.

First season and all, but he switches off a bit too much/ball watches and has been a bit suspect judging balls. Needs to improve big time to be worth that fee and at 24 next month, he's not that young as a player and needs to wise up a bit with the silly challenges and needless cards.

Him getting on like a dick in Maguire's face just reinforces the question about his self control/temperament and it's not the first time he's done that on an opposition player. Be hard and competitive though, not fucking stupid.

First season and all, but he switches off a bit too much/ball watches and has been a bit suspect judging balls. Needs to improve big time to be worth that fee and at 24 next month, he's not that young as a player and needs to wise up a bit with the silly challenges and needless cards.
I don't disagree that he struggles to choose his moments to challenge and gets stupid cards because of it, but I don't think you can lump him laughing at Mcguire's misfortune/general awfulness as a "stupid" move. If we ended up drawing 2-2 no one would be mentioning it as a negative.

At 24 as a CB, that is absolutely young. Not all positions develop the same. A 24 year old striker/winger is probably what he is at that age. A 24 year old CB has plenty of room for growth. He is miles ahead of any of our defenders technically. His faults are coachable which is why I have no issue paying the price.

I don't disagree that he struggles to choose his moments to challenge and gets stupid cards because of it, but I don't think you can lump him laughing at Mcguire's misfortune/general awfulness as a "stupid" move. If we ended up drawing 2-2 no one would be mentioning it as a negative.

At 24 as a CB, that is absolutely young. Not all positions develop the same. A 24 year old striker/winger is probably what he is at that age. A 24 year old CB has plenty of room for growth. He is miles ahead of any of our defenders technically. His faults are coachable which is why I have no issue paying the price.

Sorry pal but I beg to differ. It is completely irrelevant that we lost the game - that was unquestionably out of order

Sorry pal but I beg to differ. It is completely irrelevant that we lost the game - that was unquestionably out of order
Fair enough, we are all entitled to our opinions. I don't think a little laugh while passing by qualifies as "unquestionably out of order."

It's already been covered a couple of pages back, but many folks (myself included) believe a little shithousery in the side is a quality top clubs have in their locker.

Man fuck it who cares if he sees the red mist sometime and does stupid shit like shout at people or run through a striker every now and then. I'd rather have a nutcase CB who has flaws related to aggressive temperament than a timid CB who sits off and is passive. Put Romero next to a 'smart' defender and you have a great potential partnership.

Not to mention the fact that he is 100 times better than our other defenders with the ball at his feet.

Fair enough, we are all entitled to our opinions. I don't think a little laugh while passing by qualifies as "unquestionably out of order."

It's already been covered a couple of pages back, but many folks (myself included) believe a little shithousery in the side is a quality top clubs have in their locker.
I don't mind a bit of shithousery really, we've certainly lacked it in years gone by - leaving a bit on a player, niggly little fouls, going down easy in the box to win a penalty, whatever i'm all for it.. but there is something different about screaming in somebodies face after scoring an own goal. It would get you slap playing on a Saturday because you just don't do it.

Let's leave it there, I really don't care that much and he's still probably the best defender we've got but would just rather not see that sort of thing personally.

Proper shithouse we have on our hands here.
Seems to be growing into the Premier League nicely.
Who do we credit for this signing anyway?

Back
Top Bottom