Cristian Romero

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I hear you but I don't agree. King had another level he could access when fit enough like god mode. Toby was excellent but King had one off games ( kind of what Kane lacks and Bale has (zero to do with Nationality) Liverpool at Spurs, Manchester City one off game qualify for champions league, England vs France , European championship, league Cup final Chelsea. Toby was great King could break opponents see Henry and Tevez, Suarez. This isn't to be disrespectful Toby who I think is same level with Romero.
Couldn't agree more. King's ability should have him in the same conversation as the likes of Maldini. The fact that he had to manage a deteriorating knee injury, throughout his entire first team career, is all that prevented that.

One of the greatest players I've ever seen pull on a Spurs shirt, and I go back quite a way.

It's crazy how this seems to be missed so much.

Romero is pretty much our best carrier, best passer and best progressive passer from centre back.

There's a reason we were basically useless at progressing play without him in the back four and that part of our game was targeted.

Van de Ven is better at Romero at basically two things. Running quick and recovery.

But that's also why they compliment eachother so well.
Agree with this. I'm a big Romero fan. I think he sometimes is a bit slow with the pass against low block teams - appreciate that some of that is deliberate to draw them in, but at times it does allow re-grouping. He's been superb recently tho.

If he can cut out his odd moments of madness where he's extremely rash, he will be something else. We're blessed to have him and van de Ven at the club at the same time. Two centre-backs that could genuinely play for any club in the world.

If he can cut out his odd moments of madness where he's extremely rash, he will be something else. We're blessed to have him and van de Ven at the club at the same time. Two centre-backs that could genuinely play for any club in the world.

I agree they are brilliant but why then are we conceding so many goals ?

They have played the full 90 in the last 7 games of their comebacks and we have conceded 11 goals. That’s no where near good enough for a team fighting at the top end of the table

They have played the full 90 in the last 7 games of their comebacks and we have conceded 11 goals. That’s no where near good enough for a team fighting at the top end of the table

Think it can only be a collective thing. Bissouma not playing well doesn't help at all as he's there to protect the back line. Whatever the reason is hopefully it's something that can be and is getting worked on, on the training ground. We also have two extremely attacking full-backs in Porro and Udogie who's strengths are going forward.

Ultimately it's also a new combination and they should only get better as a duo in time.

So lots on what they are good at and we all know it....but they are neither of them in King Dawson or Woodgates class in the air. And consequently we are vulnerable on set pieces. Yesterday the much maligned Emerson won a few really threatening headed clearances. Its another area we are actually missing Harry Kane for, as he was brilliant in both boxes. We just don't have that player at the moment and sides know. This isn't about Bissouma as it's often from throws and FK corners we get exploited

Data looks very weird for VDV tbh.
“Defensive action” doesn’t really make a whole lot of sense to me but the rest seems fairly consistent. He typically shifts the ball right or left with his passes unlike Romero who tries those Busquets style incisive passes more frequently.

This also does not include several areas of his game that are elite like recoveries.

Only 5 of those goals have been from open play.

And even then, 1 of those was literally assisted by Udogie (vs Brentford).

It's not a bad record. And pretty much not much different to pre-Chelsea.

Sort out our set piece defending and we'd concede far less.

Our midfield have a lot to answer for in regards to our poor defensive record as well.

Many times, our goals conceded start with a misplaced pass or failure to maintain possession in midfield that lead to a break the other way with our fullbacks completely out of the play due to how we set up in possession.

Back
Top Bottom