Cristian Romero

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Thought Romero was awesome yesterday. Considering the hype Lukaku has got the last few weeks, Romero didn't give him a sniff.
Dier was on Lukaku most of the game mate.

Whilst Lukaku didn't get much of a sniff all game ( did get a couple of shots off in last 10mins I think) he still played well. When he did was play the perfect target man, he held the ball up well and he sacrificed himself for the team by making space for them to run off.

Dier did well against him too, he did get pinned by him once and Lukaku rolled off him to leave Dier lost but this I think was the only time (until right at the end of the game when it was already lost when Lukaku was able to have a couple of runs towards goal) as most of the game he had his back to goal and more or less Dier got his positioning right with him (not too tight to get pinned and rolled, not to far off for space to turn).

Yes! I agree that Romero had a good game on the whole. One thing that's abundantly clear though is Royal and him need minutes in the side, both really struggling at times positionally, I don't believe it's to do with their reading of the game (Royal for instance gave Alonso a lot of space yet despite this he also made the 2nd most tackles in the game and made a number of decent headers at the back post) I think they've had no time at all to form any sort of understanding of their teammates.

We've now got 3 CB's performing or with the potential of performing well (Romero, Dier & Sanchez), what people see in Rodon is completely lost on me as I think he's been shit. I presume we stick with Tanganga for cover at RB (maybe in certain games, the ones we are going to get pined back and choose to play on the counter, he gets the nod as he's defensively good??) but he's disappointed when played at CB.

A couple of things that highlight what Romero brings. A 1st time forward pass to the feet of Ndombele, that would have gone backwards to Lloris if that was Toby (Sanchez might have tried the pass but failed, excluding this season where I think his passing, his weakness, has been great).

And YES!!!! This is why Ndombele should be in the starting 11, also note his pass and move looking for the return!! This is good!!

I also posted this in the Kane thread but both Romero and Dier playing well on the ball in this phase. NO pass back to Lloris, effort is to play, plenty of movement of other players showing for the ball.

Both Dier and Romero played very well as a pair. Romero doing the defending outside of the box, aggressive and front foot as he was billed from Italy. Dier defending deeper behind him.

He was decent on Sunday and first half. But there were signs of some of that rashness he has a rep for: a bit Sanchez-like in wanting to challenge for balls that aren't quite there to be won. And he wiped out Huang with a sliding tackle in the box that may have been a pen under VAR.

I think he has the tools to be a very good centre back, but I wonder if we are going to have to be patient and not expect too much too soon (despite the big fee).

He was decent on Sunday and first half. But there were signs of some of that rashness he has a rep for: a bit Sanchez-like in wanting to challenge for balls that aren't quite there to be won. And he wiped out Huang with a sliding tackle in the box that may have been a pen under VAR.

I think he has the tools to be a very good centre back, but I wonder if we are going to have to be patient and not expect too much too soon (despite the big fee).
What fee? He's on loan

:levywtf:

Good news for Romero and Celso. Athletic saying the 10 day hotel quarantine will go to 5 days in club bubble.
Stick them in the Lodge.

Happy Thursday GIF by MOODMAN

Thought Romero was awesome yesterday. Considering the hype Lukaku has got the last few weeks, Romero didn't give him a sniff.

We spent the whole of the 2nd half chasing shadows and clinging on.
Dier tried to copy what Sky Sports said about marking Lukaku at close quarters but even that failed a few times and Dier was sat on his arse.

And we lost. 3 nil. It's hard to say a defence/defender played well when it was 3 and could easily have been 5 or 6 but for bad finishing.

A couple of things that highlight what Romero brings. A 1st time forward pass to the feet of Ndombele, that would have gone backwards to Lloris if that was Toby (Sanchez might have tried the pass but failed, excluding this season where I think his passing, his weakness, has been great).

And YES!!!! This is why Ndombele should be in the starting 11, also note his pass and move looking for the return!! This is good!!

I also posted this in the Kane thread but both Romero and Dier playing well on the ball in this phase. NO pass back to Lloris, effort is to play, plenty of movement of other players showing for the ball.

Both Dier and Romero played very well as a pair. Romero doing the defending outside of the box, aggressive and front foot as he was billed from Italy. Dier defending deeper behind him.

The same Toby who constantly played forward balls with better accuracy than our midfielders?
Think you may be confusing what usually happened. Toby to Winks. Winks back to Toby. Toby to Winks. Winks back to Toby. Toby to Dele and score. Cut the shit in the middle out.

I'm slightly concerned we have an Argentinian Soyuncu on our hands. Can't wait to find out.

To justify his price tag, he is going to have to be quite exceptional.
These international breaks aren’t going to do him any favours in finding some form and consistency though.
We’ve got Woolwich away, Mura home and Villa home then it’s another 2 week international break where Argentina play Paraguay, Uraguay and Peru. We then have 6 games which include the Vitesse home and away legs before yet another international break.
When the players return from this third break we pretty much play every three or four days right through until Boxing Day. Hopefully the South American players aren’t too fatigued or jet lagged when they come back because we’ll need everyone available.

These international breaks aren’t going to do him any favours in finding some form and consistency though.
We’ve got Woolwich away, Mura home and Villa home then it’s another 2 week international break where Argentina play Paraguay, Uraguay and Peru. We then have 6 games which include the Vitesse home and away legs before yet another international break.
When the players return from this third break we pretty much play every three or four days right through until Boxing Day. Hopefully the South American players aren’t too fatigued or jet lagged when they come back because we’ll need everyone available.
I just want us to get value for our money. Nothing worse than paying over the odds, and I think everyone on this forum can appreciate that. At the end of the season, we will have a better idea if we could have got someone similar for half the price (or less).

The same Toby who constantly played forward balls with better accuracy than our midfielders?
Think you may be confusing what usually happened. Toby to Winks. Winks back to Toby. Toby to Winks. Winks back to Toby. Toby to Dele and score. Cut the shit in the middle out.
Not for the past 3 seasons, he didn't mate! Last season he couldn't pass a turd.

I'm slightly concerned we have an Argentinian Soyuncu on our hands. Can't wait to find out.

He's only 23 mate, an absolute baby in CB terms. Even with a couple of iffy moments so far I think he's already shown miles more than Rodon who's the same age and looks shite.

I fully expect some up and down games (maybe all in one game), a lot depends on the balance of the team and partnerships to form and work, this probably has a bigger influence on his game than an actual identified personal ability at this point. I think we are quite some way off this.

We spent the whole of the 2nd half chasing shadows and clinging on.
Dier tried to copy what Sky Sports said about marking Lukaku at close quarters but even that failed a few times and Dier was sat on his arse.

And we lost. 3 nil. It's hard to say a defence/defender played well when it was 3 and could easily have been 5 or 6 but for bad finishing.
They scored from a set-piece and a heavily deflected shot. 3rd goal came in 93rd min when game was lost basically when the 1st one was scored. At this point we had no midfield, this was the main issue, not the defence (and yeah I'm sure there are ample moments to look at in 2nd half, but the game state was we had no midfield and we were getting dominated as a result of this, not how we were defending as a back-line).

IMO he's still adjusting to the way we play. Atalanta play a very envious style of football where it's all action, high tempo and players are expected to engage in 1v1 duels regularly. Like Leeds but 5 at the back and with better players.

He's still playing in that style, which is understandable as he's a young defender. So comes off a little rash for now but I expect him to reign it in a little when he settles more. And as others have said he's very young for a central defender so regardless of fee we have to be patient.

Back
Top Bottom