Cristian Romero

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Not impressed. The club should be taking umbrage with FIFA, CONMEBOL and the FCF/AFA.
Not our players.

It's a joke but from all parties

But we asked them and told them not to go and they have gone knowing that it's gonna make them miss important games and affect there fitness

We pay there wages they have made themselves unavailable to play for us. Think a fine is more then fair

But we asked them and told them not to go and they have gone knowing that it's gonna make them miss important games and affect there fitness

We pay there wages they have made themselves unavailable to play for us. Think a fine is more then fair
We shouldnt have let them go in the first place.

Fifa are (currently) the regulators in this area, can't see any fine sticking. The FA are likely to be scared of this if clubs can stop players joining national teams

Not impressed. The club should be taking umbrage with FIFA, CONMEBOL and the FCF/AFA.
Not our players.

Calling BS on this one.
The club couldn't stop them going and would of known that they were going before they'd even left the training ground.

Calling BS on this one.
The club couldn't stop them going and would of known that they were going before they'd even left the training ground.
Hi Stevee - I call BS in terms of the club deciding they're going to blame our players and fine them.

But I note it's come via Ally Gold. And we know Ally gets the majority of his info from the club. So it's likely true.

On the facts as we currently know them, I believe it would be idiotic and counter-productive for Spurs to fine the players.

Let's just get them back to Blighty asap, via a Croatian island training camp if necessary, and then crucially:

MAKE SURE THIS CLUSTERFUCK DOES NOT HAPPEN AGAIN IN THE NEXT INTERNATIONAL WINDOW.

Calling BS on this one.
Unfortunately we have the Trifecta reporting this.

Charlie Eccleshare from The Athletic
Dan Kilpatrick from The Evening Standard
Alasdair Gold from Football London.

As you say, fining players for something they had no jurisdiction to stop. Should be aiming their scorn at FIFA and CONMEBOL but easier to squeeze a dollar or two out of players just trying to represent their countries with pride.

Poor from Spurs.

Hi Stevee - I call BS in terms of the club deciding they're going to blame our players and fine them.

But I note it's come via Ally Gold. And we know Ally gets the majority of his info from the club. So it's likely true.

On the facts as we currently know them, I believe it would be idiotic and counter-productive for Spurs to fine the players.

Let's just get them back to Blighty asap, via a Croatian island training camp if necessary, and then crucially:

MAKE SURE THIS CLUSTERFUCK DOES NOT HAPPEN AGAIN IN THE NEXT INTERNATIONAL WINDOW.

They already played in Venezuela (Red list Country) so odd this comes up now.

This is why I think it's BS.
You are going to have 3 mightily pissed off players at the club.

If it were true, why not fine them the minute they left, why wait till they come back.

What are they actually supposed to be fining them for?

The players have only to appeal the fines and they'll win as in no situation can a club insist a player does not go to their countries.

They already played in Venezuela (Red list Country) so odd this comes up now.

They also claim (Argi FA) that it was agreed they were allowed 3days/72hours in red list countries and had only been there 2days, suspect this might be the hub of it.

Say they arrived Thursday evening, played Sunday afternoon, that is under 3days in hours, but over in days...

Surely something like this, also, the Argies claim that an extension could be agreed (as per previous documentation) to extend this, so perhaps Argentina submitted their papers but Brazil did not reciprocate due to their players not being released by UK Teams (no idea, but maybe this type of issue happened).

We didn't release them. We asked them not to go but we can't just put them under house arrest or take their passports away. They disobeyed an instruction from the club and will be fined.
GLC and Romero are in the shit now. I wonder if the FA or any other of the professional bodies will take action
What a couple of idiots....

I know this will be an unpopular opinion, but I have no issue with the players being fined and I think they need to shoulder some of the responsibility.

The world has been fighting with a global pandemic for the last 18 months where we’ve all had to live with certain restrictions and limitations. None of us have liked it, but we’ve got on with it. Being international professional footballers isn’t enough reason to decide the rules don’t apply as far as I’m concerned. I know it’s a great thing to play for your country, but that doesn’t trump a global pandemic.

My employer issued a notice before we broke up for the summer stating that if staff are planning to travel abroad it must not interfere with the return to school on 1st September and any staff missing work due to travel quarantine would face disciplinary action. I know of a few others schools and companies in my area that also did this. In my view this is no different. The club are their employers and told the players they didn’t want them to travel, but the players went anyway. That means they’re now going to miss 4 matches and be paid for two weeks where they’re doing sod all. They won’t be playing and they’ll only be doing minimal training. There’s then only two weeks until the next international break where we’ll potentially encounter the same problems again.

Can't say this guy's actions have endeared him to me.
Of course all will be forgiven and forgotten if he puts in a few great performances for THFC.

I know this will be an unpopular opinion, but I have no issue with the players being fined and I think they need to shoulder some of the responsibility.

The world has been fighting with a global pandemic for the last 18 months where we’ve all had to live with certain restrictions and limitations. None of us have liked it, but we’ve got on with it. Being international professional footballers isn’t enough reason to decide the rules don’t apply as far as I’m concerned. I know it’s a great thing to play for your country, but that doesn’t trump a global pandemic.

My employer issued a notice before we broke up for the summer stating that if staff are planning to travel abroad it must not interfere with the return to school on 1st September and any staff missing work due to travel quarantine would face disciplinary action. I know of a few others schools and companies in my area that also did this. In my view this is no different. The club are their employers and told the players they didn’t want them to travel, but the players went anyway. That means they’re now going to miss 4 matches and be paid for two weeks where they’re doing sod all. They won’t be playing and they’ll only be doing minimal training. There’s then only two weeks until the next international break where we’ll potentially encounter the same problems again.
The trouble is as I understand it, that all clubs are over ruled by FIFA regulations that say they have to release players to their national team if they are called up. I don't think Spurs had the legal power to tell them they couldn't go if they weren't going to be home in time to play at a certain point. And in reality it's no different to both of them getting a knock while they were away on international duty.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom