Cristian Romero

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Wolves couldn't get in the game first half because we dominated it (right up to the goal).

It wasn't just the one sub that made the difference, Chavs came back in the game at the end of the first half when Tuchel dropped Mount into midfield, from this point they became more competitive and we found it harder to play through them (neither team had the upper hand at this point).

IN my view, it was a double whammy though, for us. I have to 2nd guess here but I feel Nuno took the right approach, to go for it first half and try to get a goal (something I might add only Liverpool has managed to score the one against them), then try to sit and play on the counter more (hopefully not on the edge of our box but aggressively as we did against City). We tanked after the first half-pressing (& that we also played Thursday whilst they played at home on Tuesday are all marginal gain in their favour, not ours) and when they scored from a set-piece we didn't have the bench to actually change and react (almost certainly had Berg & Lucas been available they would have been used for example and have enough quality to effect a game). 100% I'm not saying we would have won, I was completely expecting to get beat handsomely against them, I certainly didn't expect us to dominate/control any aspect of the game let alone do so in such a pro-active way that we did.

I don't dispute what you're saying. It just concerns me how easily Chelsea turned our upper hand on our head. We really were awful in the 2nd half and had no answer.
Touchel showed he is a tactical coach who is able to see if something isn't working and change it. Nuno keeps showing us that he starts a match with a plan and seems to not worry if it's not working.
Lastly, I thought our "dominance" over Wolves was too easy to put it down to us just being netter than them. We weren't exactly sprinting around and hounding them out. At times we were passing through them at walking pace and getting through. Then all of a sudden, they sparked into a life and from that point we had a few sporadic chances but were generally 2nd best all over the pitch.
And they made 9 changes from their PL squad. You'd argue based on appearances that our 11 that started was nearer the PL regulars.

Son Kane Lucas
GLC Hojbjerg Ndombele
Reguilon Dier Romero Tanganga
Lloris

Sub options:
Either Gil or Skipp on for Ndombele at minute 60, depending on state of the game.
Bergwijn on for Lucas if we need some pace.

Next summer, if we get a class RW and CB, I think we have a quality team/ squad actually.

I think from that 11, GLC barely does anything most matches, Lucas will have a great game then spend the next 5-10 games running down blind alleys doing nothing, Dier is shocking, Tanganga is neither a right back nor a CB, Regilon is "adequate" Ndombele, as we've all discussed in depth is our most talented player and our weakest player in the same game.
Taking all those problems into account, it's hardly a wonder we barely make chances anymore.
From the subs, I think everyone here has got carried away with Skipp. He's still a kid and is not capable of being a match winner or the difference in a match. Bergwjin frustrates me as I always feel he looks better than his performances suggest. Maybe because I liked the look of him in and for Holland before we signed him. Gil is probably in the same camp as Skip. He's definitely got a lot to learn.

So really, from our main squad of players, the only ones I have either hope for, or no facts to hold against them are Lloris, Romero, PEH, Kane and Son. Outside of them, everyone is replaceable/upgradeable. And tbh, I think a decent scout could upgrade on some of them too.

I don't dispute what you're saying. It just concerns me how easily Chelsea turned our upper hand on our head. We really were awful in the 2nd half and had no answer.
Touchel showed he is a tactical coach who is able to see if something isn't working and change it. Nuno keeps showing us that he starts a match with a plan and seems to not worry if it's not working.
Lastly, I thought our "dominance" over Wolves was too easy to put it down to us just being netter than them. We weren't exactly sprinting around and hounding them out. At times we were passing through them at walking pace and getting through. Then all of a sudden, they sparked into a life and from that point we had a few sporadic chances but were generally 2nd best all over the pitch.
And they made 9 changes from their PL squad. You'd argue based on appearances that our 11 that started was nearer the PL regulars.
THIS^^

Wolves game didn't really change my mind too much. We didn't really dominate or press well or have lots opf shots

It was just better than the utter shit we'd seen previously. Still not great and we were playing near to our first XI whereas Wolves were not.

I think from that 11, GLC barely does anything most matches
I think he's been played out of position due to Lucas and Bergwijn injuries. He's better in midfield than RW. GLC Ndombele Hojbjerg is a pretty decent midfield with technical skill, if they could last the 90 minutes.

Lucas will have a great game then spend the next 5-10 games running down blind alleys doing nothing, Dier is shocking
Yeah, we need to upgrade Lucas. Wish we went for Raphinha this summer. If not him; I also saw a stat showing Adama that he has more completed dribbles in the past 2 seasons himself than many PL teams.
Anyway, Lucas at his best can be quite useful as he can press and win the ball high up the pitch.

Dier is shocking, Tanganga is neither a right back nor a CB, Regilon is "adequate"
Dier has been okay this season somehow. Think Tanganga has shown he has the strength to be a top defensive RB vs most top teams.

I think everyone here has got carried away with Skipp. He's still a kid and is not capable of being a match winner or the difference in a match. Bergwjin frustrates me as I always feel he looks better than his performances suggest.
I'd want Skipp to start on the bench, and then come on for Ndombele if we need to solidify the midfield. He was great vs Wolves this week.
Bergwijn can't finish which undoes a lot of his general good work.

So really, from our main squad of players, the only ones I have either hope for, or no facts to hold against them are Lloris, Romero, PEH, Kane and Son. Outside of them, everyone is replaceable/upgradeable. And tbh, I think a decent scout could upgrade on some of them too.
If we get Raphinha and Lacroix next summer, with Sarr also coming back from loan, I think we have a good squad. Lucas, Winks, and Sanchez can be the 3 who make way.

I think he's been played out of position due to Lucas and Bergwijn injuries. He's better in midfield than RW. GLC Ndombele Hojbjerg is a pretty decent midfield with technical skill, if they could last the 90 minutes.

Yeah, we need to upgrade Lucas. Wish we went for Raphinha this summer. If not him; I also saw a stat showing Adama that he has more completed dribbles in the past 2 seasons himself than many PL teams.
Anyway, Lucas at his best can be quite useful as he can press and win the ball high up the pitch.

Dier has been okay this season somehow. Think Tanganga has shown he has the strength to be a top defensive RB vs most top teams.

I'd want Skipp to start on the bench, and then come on for Ndombele if we need to solidify the midfield. He was great vs Wolves this week.
Bergwijn can't finish which undoes a lot of his general good work.

If we get Raphinha and Lacroix next summer, with Sarr also coming back from loan, I think we have a good squad. Lucas, Winks, and Sanchez can be the 3 who make way.

Skipp came on to sort out the midfield against Chelsea. Not only did he make no difference at all, he probably looked more out of his depth than Nuno is.

What could Nuno change it to from the bench of Scarlett, Winks, Davies, Skipp, Rodon, Gil, Sanchez or Doherty?

Tuchel is, without doubt, an elite coach, but the deck is well and truly stacked in his favour when he can switch things up from a bench of Kante, Saul, Chilwell, Hudson-Odi, Ziych, James and Warner.

As I posted in another post somewhere, he's done a better job than Poch did in his first 5 games and he's inherited a worse performing team than Poch (almost certainly down to the dinosaur but that's the stat). We've improved our fitness (still some way to go but that's largely out of his hands as players missed pre-season and it took Utd 2yrs to get their squad fit post dinosaur).

I'm taking each game as it comes but I feel more buoyed about us than I was expecting to be by this point. I've actually witnessed a change in style., seen attacking phases of football caused by pressing, aggressive play, compact organised, defending. A midfield that's showing promise in control albeit not longevity. I haven't seen any of this for nearly 3 seasons.

What could Nuno change it to from the bench of Scarlett, Winks, Davies, Skipp, Rodon, Gil, Sanchez or Doherty?

Tuchel is, without doubt, an elite coach, but the deck is well and truly stacked in his favour when he can switch things up from a bench of Kante, Saul, Chilwell, Hudson-Odi, Ziych, James and Warner.

As I posted in another post somewhere, he's done a better job than Poch did in his first 5 games and he's inherited a worse performing team than Poch (almost certainly down to the dinosaur but that's the stat). We've improved our fitness (still some way to go but that's largely out of his hands as players missed pre-season and it took Utd 2yrs to get their squad fit post dinosaur).

I'm taking each game as it comes but I feel more buoyed about us than I was expecting to be by this point. I've actually witnessed a change in style., seen attacking phases of football caused by pressing, aggressive play, compact organised, defending. A midfield that's showing promise in control albeit not longevity. I haven't seen any of this for nearly 3 seasons.

I admire your optimism. But as a 27 year fan, all I can see is the same old troubles. I fully expect us to play totally within our self on Sunday and get beat.

I'm genuine resigned to the fact that as long as ENIC are there, the only plus will be off the pitch success.

I admire your optimism. But as a 27 year fan, all I can see is the same old troubles.....

1. Nuno and these players haven't been here for 27 years.

2. Considering the last decade or more would have been the best you've ever seen us play and the most competetive you've ever seen us be; why did you spend so much of it pissing and moaning and digging for negatives?

I admire your optimism. But as a 27 year fan, all I can see is the same old troubles. I fully expect us to play totally within our self on Sunday and get beat.

I'm genuine resigned to the fact that as long as ENIC are there, the only plus will be off the pitch success.
We've won just TWO League games at their shit hole in the entire Premier League era (29yrs)!! In fact, in all comps, we've won just 4 times (x2 League Cup wins also) there in 34yrs!! Hardly the barometer of assessing our success if we don't beat them at the weekend.

This game needs to be taken out of context of performance, whilst in recent seasons I've thoroughly enjoyed beating them well at our gaff numerous times now (and them rarely beating us on our patch these days x4 times in the last 14yrs at our place (x2 League Cup, x2 PL)) it's the only game of the season I don't get hung up on "performce" wise, it's all about the result. I've even been able to console myself a few weeks after being beat by them whilst seeing it as the highlight of their season and we've gone on to finish higher than them, I still laugh at the shaggy-haired bloke hanging out the car window after beating us and going above us in the league for it to last just a matter of days for us to back above them and remain there for the season.

But there 100% has been a shift in how we play, I welcome this as it's the ONLY shift in the style of play we've had in almost 3 seasons!! Not only a shift in style but also the level of organisation in the more defensive games was also more impactful than anything the dinosaur did in his attempt to be defensive. We've had one terrible game, where everything that could go wrong went wrong, from players availability to the style of play and the passive nature of how we played.

I don't know if this stays with us or if we are capable of building on this because it's kind of unchartered waters with Nuno, with Poch for those that saw the work he did at Southampton you could spot the similarities and draw reference with them, it helped with feeding the confidence and direction because Poch already has a pre-disposed identity with his football.

We've won just TWO League games at their shit hole in the entire Premier League era (29yrs)!! In fact, in all comps, we've won just 4 times (x2 League Cup wins also) there in 34yrs!! Hardly the barometer of assessing our success if we don't beat them at the weekend.

This game needs to be taken out of context of performance, whilst in recent seasons I've thoroughly enjoyed beating them well at our gaff numerous times now (and them rarely beating us on our patch these days x4 times in the last 14yrs at our place (x2 League Cup, x2 PL)) it's the only game of the season I don't get hung up on "performce" wise, it's all about the result. I've even been able to console myself a few weeks after being beat by them whilst seeing it as the highlight of their season and we've gone on to finish higher than them, I still laugh at the shaggy-haired bloke hanging out the car window after beating us and going above us in the league for it to last just a matter of days for us to back above them and remain there for the season.

But there 100% has been a shift in how we play, I welcome this as it's the ONLY shift in the style of play we've had in almost 3 seasons!! Not only a shift in style but also the level of organisation in the more defensive games was also more impactful than anything the dinosaur did in his attempt to be defensive. We've had one terrible game, where everything that could go wrong went wrong, from players availability to the style of play and the passive nature of how we played.

I don't know if this stays with us or if we are capable of building on this because it's kind of unchartered waters with Nuno, with Poch for those that saw the work he did at Southampton you could spot the similarities and draw reference with them, it helped with feeding the confidence and direction because Poch already has a pre-disposed identity with his football.

I totally agree about the record there. Funny how of those 2 wins in 29 years, ENIC Have been around for 21 of them btw...
I looked into this before, and pre-ENIC, it was nowhere near as bad.
You could attribute that to how good they were in the late 90's to the mid 00s but since around 2012 they've really fallen away and we haven't taken advantage.
It's more the attitude I'm worried about. They're below us. They were being utterly lambasted recently from every angle. Now we go into this game and I suspect we will be a complete no-show.
Think back to times like the 4-4 at their place, the 4-5 at our place, both teams went AT IT and trid to win.
I think we're gonna spend the entire game terrified to pass the ball positively and get chased off the ball all game.

They built a stadium and paid for it. Apparently it's a shackle for us, but they did ok staying well ahead of us.
They have finished behind us for 5 straight years. Their revenue has actually been well below ours for several years as well. It's a bit odd to complain now about them being better than us 10+ years ago. It's not news that Woolwich dominated us and the league in the first decade of the 21st century.

They have finished behind us for 5 straight years. Their revenue has actually been well below ours for several years as well. It's a bit odd to complain now about them being better than us 10+ years ago. It's not news that Woolwich dominated us and the league in the first decade of the 21st century.
And they've won the FA Cup 3 times in that period.
And if we finish 7th and they finish 8th, realistically, it doesn't matter. It'll be worse this year when we're both bottom half.

And they've won the FA Cup 3 times in that period.
And if we finish 7th and they finish 8th, realistically, it doesn't matter. It'll be worse this year when we're both bottom half.
Twice. And winning the fa cup hasn’t exactly helped their club grow.

Us reaching a champions league final is 10x the accomplishment.

It's more you suggest waiting before condemning a player. Yet you condem Kane despite him proving his worth. Little but hypocritical, no?
They’re held to different standards. One is supposedly supposed to be world class and England’s golden boy that’s supposedly worth 100+ million and another has just begun his career. Different standards and expectations

Back
Top Bottom