Dane Scarlett

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I hope Dane Scarlett becomes everything Mourinho told The Times:

'I know he’s still very young, just 17, and it is probably too early for the next World Cup, but Tottenham Hotspur have a striker in Dane Scarlett, who, if everything goes well, is going to be phenomenal. For England, there is lots of promise.'

But we also know Mourinho's super-sized ego will claim credit for giving the "next big thing" his Spurs debut.

Anyway, I think we should keep Scarlett, not loan him out, and give him some first team minutes in the Europe Nonsense League. He's 17, and we can better control his physical development in-house rather than have some lower league team play him through injuries and risk burn out, or worse.

Strongly disagree on this one. I think once these kids have proven to be above average, and are physically developed, getting out and playing proper football is best for their development, technically, tactically and mentally. I'd prefer they went abroad to places like Belgium, Netherlands, France etc where the football is (younger) more tactical, technical and less shit kick than League 1 or 2, and they won't be under the same spotlight, but I think it's much more valuable than playing virtually no real football for a year or three and just training, playing u23 and a few minutes of europa 2.

They seem fond of him.. came off with Portsmouth 2-1 up... I gather they like his direct running and effort levels more so than him having shown great quality so far.

I'm mates with some of Portsmouth's centreback, Sean Raggett's mates, as we're from the same area - might be able to get some feedback later in the season on how he's doing in the squad, and if he's integrating himself.

On bench!

Shit manager, doesn't know what his doing! Sack him!

Angry Season 3 GIF by SuccessionHBO

I’m from the Portsmouth area and was talking to a Pompey season ticket holder tonight. He had no prior knowledge of Dane but says there’s considerable excitement about him amongst their fans and described some of his touches as ‘electric‘ and ‘a different class’ . Does seem to get targeted by the opposition though, but he couldn’t believe he was only 18,

Went to the Pompey match today to do a bit of Dane spotting as I’m just down the road.

This should be taken in the context of the fact he’s playing with Portsmouth. Linked up attacking play was thin on the ground and they were all content to kick the ball around in their own half, till Shrewsbury had the audacity to nick it and score, which woke them up a bit.

When Dane got the ball his passing was generally quick and positive, and he made a couple of attempts on goal that smashed into defenders. Biggest pleasant surprise was that he was busy elsewhere, I counted 3 times that he won possession back in midfield, stopping their attacks and starting his own. Also quite assertive for such a young lad, showing the others where he wanted the ball played. Shame his teammates rarely delivered!

He’s taller and stronger than I remember, but got tackled a lot and didn’t always have the power to come out intact- he was definitely hobbling by the end. I thought he was the best player there, but I’m biased and was focused on him. He did get man of the match, although a few of the Pompey fans around me were like “really?” I think they were just fed up with their team in general. They all got booed off, as after a strong start, things are feeling a bit bogged down. Guess we know that feeling!

Back
Top Bottom