Daniel Levy

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Naive to think he's a true Spurs fan , are there any chairman that are ? He serves Lewis first . Enic are a investment company that maximises it's assets for profitable return .
lnvesting large amounts in the team is considered high risk and "our" money is better used for infrastructure .
The premier league is a wash with cash. While l thank him for the new stadium , any owner /chairman would have done it in the last 20 years . With a large fan base , tourist fans it would be stupid not to .
So till we win a title , a few cups he will always be mocked by the media/other fans as greedy tiģht fucker. The media , just never see the will to invest any required cash into the first 11 to be taken seriously as club that wants to actually win things . At the moment we are the new Woolwich without the cups , which is an improvement .
I hope a leopard can change it's spots but lm not so confident .

Naive to think he's a true Spurs fan , are there any chairman that are ? He serves Lewis first . Enic are a investment company that maximises it's assets for profitable return .
lnvesting large amounts in the team is considered high risk and "our" money is better used for infrastructure .
The premier league is a wash with cash. While l thank him for the new stadium , any owner /chairman would have done it in the last 20 years . With a large fan base , tourist fans it would be stupid not to .
So till we win a title , a few cups he will always be mocked by the media/other fans as greedy tiģht fucker. The media , just never see the will to invest any required cash into the first 11 to be taken seriously as club that wants to actually win things . At the moment we are the new Woolwich without the cups , which is an improvement .
Spot on - the Board is more than happy with Top 4 it seems because it ensures maximum financial return with least investment in the team since winning the PL / CL would require spending top dollar on real talent.

I also have a lingering suspicion ENIC might actually sell as soon as the stadium is done as our stock is at its highest. Hopefully not

You wouldn't hire someone to spy on someone else's bid if you weren't serious about competing with that club. People saying Levy wasn't serious about Stratford, is IMO just denial of the truth because they want to like Levy.

I agree with all the posts about our meteoric rise, however. We have done extremely well on the pitch under Levy; his tenure has been successful on that side of things.
This is where I’m at with Levy. Lots of things I didn’t like a few years ago, & Stratford is the main one. I think a lot of people would have fucked Spurs off had that been the case because it wouldn’t have been Spurs any more. But Levy would have done it had everything fallen into place. Too much money went into it (knowing Levy as we do) for it to not have been a serious consideration.
I also don’t like the penny pinching brinksmanship games he plays over incoming transfers. All this 11th hour stuff isn’t the way Poch wants it to be.

But he’s brought Poch in and we are no longer a joke with the revolving managers door.
Our progress is staggering. We have overtaken Woolwich on the pitch and are on the cusp of moving into a beautiful new stadium - the best in England & probably Europe too (maybe even the world?)
We are in the draw for the QF of the biggest tournament in club football, whilst our “neighbours” have a very tricky second leg next week to progress in a tournament they used to laugh at us for being in.

For all his faults, Levy should take an enormous amount of credit for getting us to where we are right now, & even if that “next step” never comes, I’m enjoying watching this club more now than I ever have in over 40 years.
The elation of winning a trophy is incredible, one of the best feelings there is. But to have a club that can realistically compete in every competition it is in, is not to be sneezed at.

I had a pretty big house extension done 10 years ago. Took quite a long time, my Dad who used to be in the trade often said he was impressed by the building team, we eventually got there and things have been good ever since. A few years ago my neighbours got a similar extension done, it flew up compared to ours and they were pretty smug, that's until they went to get their completion certificates... They were missing key sign-offs from steels and electrics going in. Some stuff had to be ripped apart, I think in the end they sold the house and indemnified the extension.

The hard work that has gone into the club will be here for years to come. Look at Villa, another one on the brink of collapse as they can't finance their spending.

Levy wants secured revenue streams before he over-commits. If at this point he still penny pinches I will be at the front of the queue asking questions, until then I have to believe...

Good god, bring back Irving Scholar so we can get 250k a year sponsorship without the red....
:dembelelol:
Still waiting on a genuine answer people?

Well I don’t hate him for a start.

Not sure why moving to Stratford isn’t allowed tbh.
That split the fan base and won’t be forgotten by many.
Publicly saying we wanted to move and investing millions in it would suggest we would have done it. On an open forum saying you can’t debate that is not reallly the way it works.

To me Levy and ENIC have essentially turned the club into a property investment company to make money and whilst doing so have struck gold with Poch and Kane and Alli on the pitch.

We have continuously failed to invest in the football side of the business, to fund the buying of land, building a stadium and training pitch. It’s a long term plan for ENIC to make money. and

But they are about to make our fans pay the most for season tickets for matches in the UK, Europe and probably the world. Think that upsets people too.

And the actual commitment to football -
I often wonder how Bill Nicholson would have viewed the club now, people love his quotes but I’m not sure I could ever see him saying net spend before glory.
The double winning side were equivalent to City and United in terms of being big spenders at the time (not my opinion, that’s from a journalist around at the time, I’m not that old).

But we constantly refer to that era as a fan base and as a club as though that’s how we are now.
We’re really not. ENICs “game” is not about glory.
That’s a marketing line people seem to lap up. Something the club have been clever to tap into.

As the saying goes haters gonna hate. He’s never going to be universally popular.

I like Levy and appreciate financial pragmatism not just in football or business but in general but I'm still on the fence about Levy and think his true intentions Will be revealed in the next 5 years.

We've more or less broke even on transfers and had a net spend of zero over the last 10 years , if you assume a club of our stature can afford a 30 million average expected net spend per season that's 300 million over 10 years that you could say is 300 million saved , where is that money ? Has it been invested in the infrastructure of the club or pocketed ? I know they would of creamed some off of the top but how much ? Basically how much is borrowed for the stadium and how much is paid ? I'm aware that 300 million is a figure I've pulled out of the air.

What is Enic's end game ? Are they simply building a bigger and better brand and product to achieve maximum profit when they sell?
Are they looking to act as landlords who are simply looking to achieve maximum yields with minimal input for as long as possible ?
Are they visionaries whose ultimate goal is to create art by creating football teams capable of consistently winning the biggest prizes in football whose biggest reward would be success on the field ?

I find it difficult to chose which side of the fence to put myself until all is revealed

You make it sound like we've been constant relegation battlers throughout our history. We haven't .
And you make it sound like the original top 4 were there for ever. They weren't.

The modern football fan

giphy.gif
Perhaps growing up, may only refer to a period of 5-10 years? And thus, wouldn't refer to our entire history? I'm not an undying god like figure.

He's right.

We generally scrapped are way out to a comfortable position.
Between 93-03 our average points tall was low 50's.

Levy and ENIC have changed that, whether you wanna admit it or not doesn't change the truth
So, through the 90's we had 3 relegation threatened seasons.

Whilst it's fair to say relegation battle after relegation battle was an exaggeration. To suggest ''progression is dependent on how you view progression'' since then is equally so.

next 5 years ???? well a bloke in the pub told me ( Dont Laugh ) Spurs will be sold definately in the next couple of years, he said that Joe Lewis daughter has no interest in inheriting the club and old Joe is getting on a bit ...... pinch of salt maybe , load of bollocks ..... probably but its a slow day at work ;)

Well I don’t hate him for a start.

Not sure why moving to Stratford isn’t allowed tbh.
That split the fan base and won’t be forgotten by many.
Publicly saying we wanted to move and investing millions in it would suggest we would have done it. On an open forum saying you can’t debate that is not reallly the way it works.

To me Levy and ENIC have essentially turned the club into a property investment company to make money and whilst doing so have struck gold with Poch and Kane and Alli on the pitch.

We have continuously failed to invest in the football side of the business, to fund the buying of land, building a stadium and training pitch. It’s a long term plan for ENIC to make money. and

But they are about to make our fans pay the most for season tickets for matches in the UK, Europe and probably the world. Think that upsets people too.

And the actual commitment to football -
I often wonder how Bill Nicholson would have viewed the club now, people love his quotes but I’m not sure I could ever see him saying net spend before glory.
The double winning side were equivalent to City and United in terms of being big spenders at the time (not my opinion, that’s from a journalist around at the time, I’m not that old).

But we constantly refer to that era as a fan base and as a club as though that’s how we are now.
We’re really not. ENICs “game” is not about glory.
That’s a marketing line people seem to lap up. Something the club have been clever to tap into.

As the saying goes haters gonna hate. He’s never going to be universally popular.
What happened to keeping it short
:dembele:
Of course the stadium thing can be debated, and you are correct it is a forum of debate, but the reason i asked for it not to be used as an excuse as to why Levy is the worst chairman and should not be at this club, isn’t an argument really, it’s the fall back or go to response for most Levy haters when they can’t understand why we aren’t buying Messi or paying Bale 500k a week.
You are spot on as well when you mentioned us spending a lot of money during the 60’s era, and we spent a lot during the early 80’s also, not a coincidence we won trophies during those periods, it has always taken money to win, money scales in relevance to the era....But have we ever asked as to why that has only ever been limited to those two periods, and why we havnt continued in that manner through the 70’s, late 80’s 90’s and so on? Because it’s unstaunable.
Man Utd are the only club to my knowledge that have “through natural resources” been able to sustain success well into 3 decades, and that costs money, but they are constantly 1st or 2nd on the worlds rich list, and that’s why they can do it. All that income is generated from turning OT from a 45k stadium to a 75k stadium, marketing themselves worldwide, and creating global superstars via clever branding, as a point on that, who would swap Kane for Rooney at the same age? Probably no one, but who was better known throughout the global world of football? Probably Rooney, clever branding!!
I have never seen Spurs win a league title in my lifetime, I’d say David Pleat came as close as anyone to doing that? The chairman at the time then broke the British transfer record shortly after, but had to sell one of our best players to do so, in my lifetime we have always had to do that, sell to but, but it doesn’t work, Levy knows that too, he has had to do it at times, but at least he gets that it doesn’t work. All the money he has spent recently (on wage increases) is ensuring we are not having to sell in the way we once did. The next step is to buy without selling and using a model to that of the Man Utd model we are at least heading in right direction off the field....
Levy is risking a lot borrowing money to build one of the best training grounds in football, arguably the best stadium in Europe and the remaining parts of the project to follow, you can borrow money to buy real estate but you can’t borrow money to buy players....
Success won’t happen overnight, and a few players that are currently here will never taste success with Spurs, but we the fans will always be here, our kids and grandkids will be here and yes, tourist/corporate fans will inevitably follow in their masses, but with them money follows, that magic ingredient that sustains success.
The 2020’s may be our greatest era ever.....it better be or I will hang that baldy little fucker

Who me?:levyeyes:

Not trusting Harry Redknapp with a shitload of money to spend on transfers isn't a bad thing lets be honest.

The transfer inactivity the last two windows I think everyone finds strange but Poch is also involved in that conversation imo and our inability to offload the players we wanted to to raise more cash/HG quota etc is another stumbling block.
I think Poch has very exact targets in mind and if he can't get them he won't sign anyone-theres def more to this story than just Levy 'not getting the chequebook out'.
We don't and cannot operate in the same financial league as Chelsea liverpool united and city esp with a new shiny stadium and higher wage structure already put in place to keep our stars. Until we get in there and start making more revenue for a cupla years to bridge that gap I don't see us doing 100 million pound transfers and bringing in world class talent all over the pitch tbqh.
Would you prefer we had a different chairman then?
Good post..
Not trusting Harry Redknapp with a shitload of money to spend on transfers isn't a bad thing lets be honest.

The transfer inactivity the last two windows I think everyone finds strange but Poch is also involved in that conversation imo and our inability to offload the players we wanted to to raise more cash/HG quota etc is another stumbling block.
I think Poch has very exact targets in mind and if he can't get them he won't sign anyone-theres def more to this story than just Levy 'not getting the chequebook out'.
We don't and cannot operate in the same financial league as Chelsea liverpool united and city esp with a new shiny stadium and higher wage structure already put in place to keep our stars. Until we get in there and start making more revenue for a cupla years to bridge that gap I don't see us doing 100 million pound transfers and bringing in world class talent all over the pitch tbqh.
Would you prefer we had a different chairman then?
Good post. This is when I love being on this forum to discuss things like grown ups even if we dont completely agree.
I would have to say im not sure if I want another chairman..i do and I don't.. he has got us into what as you rightly say is now a top 6, but he has made some huge mistakes. Sacking redknapp probably was not one, but not investing in better players than run Nelson when we fits got into the champions league was. Along with the long list of other terrible managers he has employed. Also not allowing Paul Mitchell to do his job and almost making him have to leave.i really could go on and on. I also do not believe he will ever invest in world class talent no matter how much the new stadium generates. I also think that maybe levy did not expect or possibly want sustained top 4 finishes, because he knew the supporters would then have a reason to expect more. Maybe I'm just a little cynical.. however I do agree that now with how things have ended up working out, that selling the club in a couple of years for a crazy amount of money I probably where this is heading. Maybe them i will be saying, blood hell levy was not actually that bad...i really do hope not.
I always thought man city and chelski behaving the way they do was a little bit anti football. But i do sometimes fond myself thinking I wish we could win some of that and I'm not sure of we went down that road I would care if we were winning everything...

I think he's absolutely a real Spurs fan, which might be a weakness rather than a strength in some ways. A cold-eyed businessman wouldn't have run through managers like Levy used to. He wouldn't have replaced Graham with Hoddle thirty seconds after taking over either.
Sorry mate l don't think so. Graham was hated and it was great PR to get everyone on board after the dark Sugar years . He's a very clever businessman and it was rather a obvious and sensible decision . Of course he cares and enjoys his position but ENIC are here for max financial return and he serves them not us.
A real fan would have made funds available to make that extra push when needed.

I think he's absolutely a real Spurs fan, which might be a weakness rather than a strength in some ways. A cold-eyed businessman wouldn't have run through managers like Levy used to. He wouldn't have replaced Graham with Hoddle thirty seconds after taking over either.
The new stadium has been in the pipeline for the best part of a decade if not longer? Levy’s been the driving force! he works with Pochettino as previously other managers(not for long granted):sneaky:......he attends every home game well televised ones anyway,guaranteed the camera at some point will pan round to him! away games I’m not sure though I believe he doesn’t go to Chelsea no time for them,who has! Now none of what I’ve mentioned is a 5minute shove by he can’t do all that and not feel something towards the club? And I dare say he hasn’t to rely on food banks or charity shops he’ll being doing okay financially so it’s not money driven he could easily sit on his arse and delegate but he’s on the front line, not shouting from the rooftops but going about Tottenhams business quietly and effectively......and for me hopefully it continues as with Pochettino they’re still around for a few years yet.

My only 'beef'
next 5 years ???? well a bloke in the pub told me ( Dont Laugh ) Spurs will be sold definately in the next couple of years, he said that Joe Lewis daughter has no interest in inheriting the club and old Joe is getting on a bit ...... pinch of salt maybe , load of bollocks ..... probably but its a slow day at work ;)
Do you think he would adopt me?

I reckon Levy will find someone to buy out Lewis's stake and then continue to run the club - he could probably even raise the debt to do it without anyone else involved.

Its naive and downright crass to deny he's a Spurs fan to try and push an agenda.....
"oh he didnt buy me Ronaldo, he's not really Spurs"

Only a true Spurs fan would run the club the way he has, giving it financial health and a future. Awwww we had to wait a whole 6 months longer for the 15 year project he just delivered, Levy Out.
He was attending WHL in the 60's and was good friends with the likes of Hoddle I believe in the 80's while he had a box....he then bought the club and built a stadium.

If he's not a true fan, Im not sure what that makes any of us

Good post..

Good post. This is when I love being on this forum to discuss things like grown ups even if we dont completely agree.
I would have to say im not sure if I want another chairman..i do and I don't.. he has got us into what as you rightly say is now a top 6, but he has made some huge mistakes. Sacking redknapp probably was not one, but not investing in better players than run Nelson when we fits got into the champions league was. Along with the long list of other terrible managers he has employed. Also not allowing Paul Mitchell to do his job and almost making him have to leave.i really could go on and on. I also do not believe he will ever invest in world class talent no matter how much the new stadium generates. I also think that maybe levy did not expect or possibly want sustained top 4 finishes, because he knew the supporters would then have a reason to expect more. Maybe I'm just a little cynical.. however I do agree that now with how things have ended up working out, that selling the club in a couple of years for a crazy amount of money I probably where this is heading. Maybe them i will be saying, blood hell levy was not actually that bad...i really do hope not.
I always thought man city and chelski behaving the way they do was a little bit anti football. But i do sometimes fond myself thinking I wish we could win some of that and I'm not sure of we went down that road I would care if we were winning everything...
Everything the chavs and city win is empty to me-I'd actually rather city win the league than anyone else because its completely meaningless when you can bring 200 million off the bench in every game, its a farce this FFP bollocks. I literally couldn't give a single fuck about anything them two have done since they started financial doping the other side of London. They have bought their history-I wouldn't want it that way ever.
It only makes it sweeter when we turn them over and it will be a hell of a lot sweeter when we catch them up and start winning a few pots.

I think you will see us invest more in players in the coming years tbh but not until its healthy for the club to do so financially-more revenue and stature=more quality on the pitch for us.
I think he is delivering slowly but surely and will continue to do so tbh.

Back
Top Bottom