Daniel Levy

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I haven't mentioned the 60s in this conversation. But now you mention it yourself, it's a decade that shows we're not the over achieving minnows some would make us out to be.

Anyway, I'm not even debating the pros and cons of Levy, I'm just trying show the nonsense that 100% of our fanbase rate him as the best chairman in our history for the bollocks that it clearly is.
The 60's started 60 years ago.

Results from that era are irrelevant in terms of gauging current progression.

Burnley won it the year before we did, Ipswich the year after. Does that make them ''sleeping giants'' too? Do you think their fanbase are holding their chairman to those levels too?

Burnley won it the year before we did. Does that make them ''sleeping giants'' too? Do you think their fanbase are holding their chairman to those levels too?
You can't compare us to Burnley. I wont even bother listing all the reasons why really were the proverbial sleeping Giant as I've done that over and over.
Many clubs used to get their highest attendance when The Spurs came to town. Not so for Burnley.

You're probably right about the majority not really caring one way or another.
But If you could put everyone who identifies as a Spurs fan on the spot and ask if they were pro or anti ENIC, including those who tend to sit on the fence like you and me, I'd say the result would be a bit closer than what BangkokSpud would expect.
You?

Sit on the fence?
Funniest thing I've heard all week

He's right.

We generally scrapped are way out to a comfortable position.

Between 93-03 our average points tall was low 50's.

Levy and ENIC have changed that, whether you wanna admit it or not doesn't change the truth

96 8th
97 10
98 14 (the 'relegation battle')
99 11
00 10
01 12
02 09
03 10
04 14
04 09

Burnley won it the year before we did, Ipswich the year after. Does that make them ''sleeping giants'' too? Do you think their fanbase are holding their chairman to those levels too?

In the postwar history of the club the 92-05ish period very clearly sticks out as the exception to the rule, which happened not as a random twist of fate, but of ownership that was out of step with the football business and had values that were antithetical to those of the club.

I think ENIC have shown real vision in their leadership of the club. But basically anybody would have had an easy time improving upon Alan Sugar and George Graham's Spurs. A brand like Spurs in a city like London in a league like the EPL at a moment in time like the early 2000's was an obvious growth asset.

You can't compare us to Burnley. I wont even bother listing all the reasons why really were the proverbial sleeping Giant as I've done that over and over.
Many clubs used to get their highest attendance when The Spurs came to town. Not so for Burnley.
Yea, I can.

They won the League as recently as us and the same amount of times.

You say that Levy should be held to higher expectations because of decades like the 60's. Well, other clubs had successful decades then too. But you won't accept.

We have evolved into a far grander club. But you won't acknowledge evolution because you hold our current situation up to past glories.

Whether you like it or not, Levy and ENIC have put us back in the big time.

It's undeniable.

We are a sleeping giant, and we're awakening, and that is happening under Levy and ENIC.

In the postwar history of the club the 92-05ish period very clearly sticks out as the exception to the rule, which happened not as a random twist of fate, but of ownership that was out of step with the football business and had values that were antithetical to those of the club.

I think ENIC have shown real vision in their leadership of the club. But basically anybody would have had an easy time improving upon Alan Sugar and George Graham's Spurs. A brand like Spurs in a city like London in a league like the EPL at a moment in time like the early 2000's was an obvious growth asset.
And they should be applauded for not only doing what is expected, but going above and beyond.

By no normal parameters, should we be competing with the likes of those around us.

Yet, we are, and exceeding them and will only grow further with the infrastructure ENIC have created.

96 8th
97 10
99 11
00 10
01 12
02 09
03 10
04 14
04 09
Relegation battle after relegation battle, they say.

rp1qQoD.gif

96 8th
97 10
99 11
00 10
01 12
02 09
03 10
04 14
04 09
Yea, it's all well and good putting up final positions, but that doesn't tell the story of the season does it?

It doesn't show how in February or March we were struggling in some of those seasons.

Either way, you're improving our point and not your own.

A list of ENIC finishes would be far superior to that.

So you've fucked your own point.

and will only grow further with the infrastructure ENIC have created.

This remains the question.

Because it can't be had both ways, ENIC have massively improved the infrastructure, but we're still massively outperforming the infrastructure.

Hopefully no time soon, but a post-Poch, post-Kane, post-Dele, etc era will eventually exist at Spurs. But NWHL and the training ground and Spurs Lodge and perhaps the NFL partnership and our commercial relationships in Asia and the US will all be a big part of that future. What does that look like? Is Daniel Levy the man to captain the ship he's built?

We are a sleeping giant, and we're awakening, and that is happening under Levy and ENIC.
Thats a fair point.

Still don't think comparing us to Burnley on the basis that they won a title more recently than us is a valid argument though.
You'll be comparing us to the likes of Derby, Leicester, Blackburn and Chelsea on that basis

Last edited:
Just to save you some time, any season that ends in the top half of the table is per se not a relegation battle.

Imagine claiming such a thing to a supporter of Sunderland or something, it's laughable.
That depends on how many points you are above the relegation zone.

But as I say, I'll research and come back with the findings.

Either way, I'm confident it'll prove beyond any doubt how far we've come under Levy and ENIC.

Back
Top Bottom