Daniel Levy

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Of course you're right that is progression, but is that down to Daniel Levy, or the manager he arguably struck gold by appointing, who has delivered everything you mentioned above?
"struck gold", Levy has been looking for that manager for well over a decade, like him or not-he has always tried to put the club first and make us successful. He tried diff set ups within the club with Commolli and Arnesan and paid a shitload of money out for managers he thought could push us on - Santini, Ramos, AVB, Jol, Redknapp-he tried diff styles, he had tried everything and then we get Poch and he finally got his man-it wasn't luck, it was actively seeking the right man.
I think its a match made in heaven and they really do respect each other.

I love Poch and he has delivered in spades on the pitch but what Levy has done off the pitch is quite spectacular and tbh its the most meteoric rise of a football club in europe over the last 17 odd years without selling our souls and tradition to the highest oil rich bidder.
I really don't know how anyone can argue otherwise.

I think it is a very valid argument for sure. Pochettino has been given nothing by Levy in the last 5 years that other managers haven't (yes I know the new stadium will be available soon.) yet has achieved unquantifiable levels of success in comparison to past managers.

Don't get me wrong here either, I'm by no means a Levy hater. I have massive respect for how he delivered the stadium, training ground and whatnot, and I also think he has gotten a tougher rap that he should in years gone by as maybe some of the decisions that were made regarding managers etc weren't entirely down to him (For example 'Arry always maintained it was Lewis that sacked him, not Levy.)

However by the same token you can't just blindly point out the good things he's done whilst completely ignoring his obvious flaws. You call Poch a 'cog in the machine'. Mate, he's no cog, he goes and the machine falls apart.

Poch now has 70m a year more to spend on wages than any previous manager ... that's a feckin' fortune ... 5 years ago we were level with Everton, West Ham, Leicester at around 4m a year per player, by the end of this seasons we will be close to 6m per player only slightly behind Woolwich, Liverpool and Chelsea but still a way behind City and Utd. To pretend this hasn't happened is head in sand stuff. We may not have gone out and spent 300m on some shite players (Everton say high) but we have increased the salaries of the players we wanted to keep by a huge amount, hopefully with more contracts to come ... add in the EPL, CL and Cup bonuses and our players are right up there with most top earners in the EPL ... Maybe we don't have an Ozil on 350k or a Sanchez on 450k but is that such a bad thing?

So Pochettino has been given nothing by Levy in the last 5 years is just not true, he's been given close to 600m to spend on player's wages ... in my book that's quite a lot

Poch now has 70m a year more to spend on wages than any previous manager ... that's a feckin' fortune ... 5 years ago we were level with Everton, West Ham, Leicester at around 4m a year per player, by the end of this seasons we will be close to 6m per player only slightly behind Woolwich, Liverpool and Chelsea but still a way behind City and Utd. To pretend this hasn't happened is head in sand stuff. We may not have gone out and spent 300m on some shite players (Everton say high) but we have increased the salaries of the players we wanted to keep by a huge amount, hopefully with more contracts to come ... add in the EPL, CL and Cup bonuses and our players are right up there with most top earners in the EPL ... Maybe we don't have an Ozil on 350k or a Sanchez on 450k but is that such a bad thing?

So Pochettino has been given nothing by Levy in the last 5 years is just not true, he's been given close to 600m to spend on player's wages ... in my book that's quite a lot
True-the priority spending for us the last cupla years was tying down the likes of Kane and Dele on big contracts, people crying out for us to 'pay the going rate' and not sell our best players-they tend to ignore the fact that we have done that.
While of course I would of wanted us to buy and move on a few players last summer I don't ignore the fact that we kept our best and we are on the brink of moving in to possibly the best stadium in europe.
We will make 3 top signings this summer imho and open a new chapter at the new gaff.

where are you getting the 2018 wages from? latest I can find is :

Unbelievable isn't it, the turnaround in our club since enic took over is incredible-absolutely fucking epic, how any fan can complain about our trajectory is absolutely beyond me and Levy is probably the best chairman we could have had for the job we needed to do.
Pity we lost Sugar, we would be a far better club for it apparently.

We'd be in Stratford if he'd had his way, never forget that.

So yes the new stadium will be fucking great, but it wont be where he wanted it.

Least successfull chairman we have had trophy wise as well.

"struck gold", Levy has been looking for that manager for well over a decade, like him or not-he has always tried to put the club first and make us successful. He tried diff set ups within the club with Commolli and Arnesan and paid a shitload of money out for managers he thought could push us on - Santini, Ramos, AVB, Jol, Redknapp-he tried diff styles, he had tried everything and then we get Poch and he finally got his man-it wasn't luck, it was actively seeking the right man.
I think its a match made in heaven and they really do respect each other.

I love Poch and he has delivered in spades on the pitch but what Levy has done off the pitch is quite spectacular and tbh its the most meteoric rise of a football club in europe over the last 17 odd years without selling our souls and tradition to the highest oil rich bidder.
I really don't know how anyone can argue otherwise.
giphy.gif

So yes the new stadium will be fucking great, but it wont be where he wanted it.

Couldnt you argue that Pochettino is our least successful manager based on tenure too?

In fact, he is.

Only 6 managers in our history have had longer reigns than him and all won a trophy or two.

Last edited:

Yea, and if you had your way, Poch would have been sacked and you'd have brought in Ranieri.

Everyone has faults.

I still don't believe that was anything other than putting the frighteners on Haringey council and the mayor of London tbh mate. He had been arguing with them over transport etc and investment in the area for ages and he was buying up property in Tottenham for years in prep for a new stadium - West ham were the obvious choice to go in there and he knew rightly we wouldn't get it.

I still don't believe that was anything other than putting the frighteners on Haringey council and the mayor of London tbh mate. He had been arguing with them over transport etc and investment in the area for ages and he was buying up property in Tottenham for years in prep for a new stadium - West ham were the obvious choice to go in there and he knew rightly we wouldn't get it.
You see this is what I mean by blindly ignoring all of Levy's faults. You cannot seriously believe this?
Our bid for the Olympic Stadium was much too serious and official to merely be a publicity stunt.

Irrelevant now of course thank Christ, but still.

You see this is what I mean by blindly ignoring all of Levy's faults. You cannot seriously believe this?
Our bid for the Olympic Stadium was much too serious and official to merely be a publicity stunt.

Token bid imo or a possible second fallback option to building at WHL-whatever way you want to look at it, it worked out well.

For a ruse to work,you have to make it convincing though.
I am not convinced either way to be honest on whether the bid was genuine or not.
One thing i am convinced about though is, if in 1965 they had put the boundary of Enfield/Haringey a couple of hundred yards further south we would have already been in our new stadium now.And for several years.

I believe Levy would have taken Stratford had we won the bidding, but Eskimo's comment that our stadium isn't where Levy wanted it, is just nonsense.

Levy wanted the stadium in Tottenham, it just looked for a while that Stratford was genuinely going to be our only realistic option.

It was a 'bid' or ruse born out of frustration with the lack of wiggle room we were getting from Boris and the council either way, Agree with MKyid, Levy always wanted the stadium at home.

It's this bit that's just fantasy JT whilst I have no knowledge of the millions of fans around the world who support Spurs, it's clear that you claim you do, however in the ranks of Spurs fans I interact with on a regular basis 100% would tell you Levy is the best chairman we've ever had, 100% would tell you he's done more for our club in the last twenty years than any previous chairman in the last 120 years, and sure 100% would have a moan about transfers and salaries, but that's not 'reservations' that's just banter.
Hang on. I'm a fantasist for claiming a sizeable section of our fan base have reservations about Levy / ENIC ?

Yet you claim 100% of our fan base , based on who you interact with, regard him as our best chairman in 120 years!!!!

Come on mate. Lets be sensible about this. There are people on this very forum you regularly interact with who have serious reservations over Levy and his chairmanship, as there are on any other Spurs forum you wish to visit.

You may not agree with them, but to pretend they don't exist

article-2525602-1A2B2A3600000578-553_634x408.jpg

Hang on. I'm a fantasist for claiming a sizeable section of our fan base have reservations about Levy / ENIC ?

Yet you claim 100% of our fan base , based on who you interact with, regard him as our best chairman in 120 years!!!!

Come on mate. Lets be sensible about this. There are people on this very forum you regularly interact with who have serious reservations over Levy and his chairmanship, as there are on any other Spurs forum you wish to visit.

You may not agree with them, but to pretend they don't exist

article-2525602-1A2B2A3600000578-553_634x408.jpg
Which chairman in World football would be a better option than Levy?

Back
Top Bottom