Danny Rose

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

One way or another Ben gets a ridiculously raw deal just because Mane & Sane each once roasted him for pace few years back.

Davies is absolutely my first choice left back and has been for some time now. Yes he isn't glamorous but he keeps his nut down, is a model professional, a genuine team player and gives us defensive stability.

People talk about the need for a new LB, not for me I'd rather us keep it dry for a rainy day and invest elsewhere (cough, cough, DM!)

Last edited:
Achieved primarily because they were rotated so extensively. Not only did this elevate their intensity in their game (Rose and Walker) but Davies's game too! I deliberately didn't include Tripps here as I don't think he ever dominated his opposite number (but happy to admit any confirmation bias I hold).

One of the most underrated players in all this though was Davies. Once Rose got his knee injury, Davies played every game! That in itself meant he had to manage his output, there was no rotation which impacts on his recovery and what he takes into the next game. I posted on here a while ago that since Davies arrived (14/15) at the club he has played to date 22 games more than Rose.

I liken Rose to that of Sissoko, I don't think Danny is a particularly technical footballer, like Sissoko his main attribute is his physicality. He will run over the top of his opposite number and do this for the entire 90mins. Best example I can think when he's up against a far better technical player but utterly destroys them over the course of the game was every time he came up against Belerin against Woolich. The early exchanges you would see both of them attacking each other, Belerin would usually have the better of him in the first 10mins or so, where he was capable of dribbling past him, or linking up well with one and two touches with his midfield. But then Rose would simply never stop, relentlessly running at him and as every min past Belerin would be pinned further and further back, if he did attack he was unable to cover back the space he left. Game over.

For me his best contribution following his injury was against Ajax in the first leg. We were getting completely outplayed, Ajax was brilliant, so intense and we simply couldn't live with them. It was Rose that stood up that game and got in their faces, gave them the game they didn't want. Foul after foul followed (drawing them in our favour too) crunching tackles, pure physicality/brutality, no skill, just brute force. He turned that game around for us IMO.
It was ferocious competition in areas that we broke teams

Davies really became a great player competing with rose and I don’t think trippier was ever quite as good once he had the place vacated by walker

all in all our great strength became very ordinary very quickly

that team Totti Totti put up if fit for season competes with this current pool and city teams

Lying to himself (denial if you prefer)... Making excuses....? Nothing wrong with that mentality?

Maybe it is good for him personally to do so, but why would any right-minded fan of the club his comments cast negatively sit back and buy into this false sentiment?(*)

I don't understand your position at all, but hey ho....

JM is obliged to do pre & post match pressers and understandably chooses to (publically at least) highlight the positives rather than point out the negatives... His remit is completely different.

(*As per above, are you sitting here saying that we ARE playing sexy champaign football? No; far from it so why would one do this in the case of Rose.... Some are.)
It's not a "position". I honestly don't give to shits about Rose. I think ever since his 1st Sun interview he should have been fucked off, thought his presence was poison (although I openly admit I'm basing this off his 3 contentious public addresses and I'm not in the dressing room to see and judge anything else).

I'm not defending or making accusations on his words since going to Newcastle, merely offering a POV on the psychology of a professional athlete.

I genuinely couldn't give two fucks about him right now, I'm glad he's no longer at Hotspur Way.

It's not a "position". I honestly don't give to shits about Rose. I think ever since his 1st Sun interview he should have been fucked off, thought his presence was poison (although I openly admit I'm basing this off his 3 contentious public addresses and I'm not in the dressing room to see and judge anything else).

I'm not defending or making accusations on his words since going to Newcastle, merely offering a POV on the psychology of a professional athlete.

I genuinely couldn't give two fucks about him right now, I'm glad he's no longer at Hotspur Way.

Glad to see the back of him too.

"I didn't get a chance".... Still = bullshit tho'.

Glad to see the back of him too.

"I didn't get a chance".... Still = bullshit tho'.
Not for a pro athlete who's trying to get minutes and a chance to play at the Euros.

He will know 100% why he's out on loan and not playing for Tottenham. Every man, woman and child know the answer to that. It's not a biggie. It's the same as Jose not admitting that we are shite.

Not for a pro athlete who's trying to get minutes and a chance to play at the Euros.

Bullshit is bullshit....

Whether people buy into it is it's own matter.

He will know 100% why he's out on loan and not playing for Tottenham. Every man, woman and child know the answer to that. It's not a biggie. It's the same as Jose not admitting that we are shite.

As I've already said, that has no bearing on why fans are choosing to buy into it.

I don't care what DR's motivations are... It's still bullshit.

Surely done at Spurs - only question should be is which club does he go to in the summer and d we get much of a fee (he has 12 months left on his contract at that point).

Our left back options after he goes will be Davies, Sessegnon and Cirkin, with cover available from Tanganga.

Davies is Mr Reliable

Sessegnon is Mr Unknown at the moment - only a few games so far due to an injury racked start to the season, but hopefully he will start to play more regularly and show he can become a PL regular. Still only 19 which is young to be playing in PL.

Cirkin still only 18, Mr 'Up and Coming' , physically well developed, one of best FB's we've seen coming through Spurs youth. We might see the odd cameo this season but I think we'll see a lot in preseason.

We will have a number of priorities to replace players in the summer, so unless there is a top LB available at a bargain price, wouldn't surprise me if the above are our options next season.
Cirkin is absolutely fantastic and from what I've seen of him, it will be him not Sess that gets the LB spot. I think he's a far more balanced player. I simply do not see Sess as a FB but more as a winger.

The big question is if either of these two will be ready next season and the season after. I hope so.

Bullshit is bullshit....

Whether people buy into it is it's own matter.

As I've already said, that has no bearing on why fans are choosing to buy into it.

I don't care what DR's motivations are... It's still bullshit.
Who's buying into it though?

Everyone knows he was playing shit. Everyone knows why he's now gone out on loan. There is literally no shock that he's not playing for Spurs. I mean he's been transfer listed for the past 6(?) transfer windows.

Who's buying into it though?

There are individuals in this thread that have shown sympathy for his bullshit "I've not been given a chance" claim.

Despite the "fuck him" sentiment of one para you posted, you still seems somewhat empathetic to it yourself.

If not, then there is no further debate between us.

Side note: 6 trf windows? No.

Cirkin is absolutely fantastic and from what I've seen of him, it will be him not Sess that gets the LB spot. I think he's a far more balanced player. I simply do not see Sess as a FB but more as a winger.

The big question is if either of these two will be ready next season and the season after. I hope so.

I could see Sessegnon being ready to play LB alternating with Davies next season, realistically Cirkin would be the season after next....but with a good preseason showing and a coach prepared to play him, Cirkin could do a Tanganga and start in the first team next season, he's just so physically well developed although will continue to develop at aged 19) with all the technical attributes of a LB, just lacks the experience.

However Mourhino has spotted Aurier's defensive lapses and the team is now set up so that Aurier plays far forward, almost as a right midfielder so as to minimise the problems caused when Aurier concedes posession. In short our attacks often go down the right side.

In order to balance the team, Mourhino played Davies as a withdrawn LB, almost going 3 at the back when out of possession, and indeed Tanganga whilst not a left back has shown himself to be both willing and reasonably able due to his defensive skills to be a credible LB when in possession, and happier still to be LCB when out of possession.

Reason why I mention Aurier, is that whilst he is RB he's almost dictating the type of LB we need...…..and a standout candidate of that type of LB is Davies (and potentially Cirkin who is a strong defender with ability to go up and down the flanks) whilst Sessegnon is fine going forward but not sufficiently defensively minded imo to be paired with Aurier as FB.

There are two per season

Yeh, thanks chief! LOL

3 years ago is the summer following 2016/2017.... He'd just mouthed off for the first time and got his first clean slate from Poch... Evidently, he wasn't for sale then. (His deal was extended mid-2016!)

Refresh my memory if you wish, but I don't recall anything solid about him being sold before this past summer (when he was told to stay behind and find a new club).

Davies is absolutely my first choice left back and has been for some time now. Yes he isn't glamorous but he keeps his nut down, is a model professional, a genuine team player and gives us defensive stability.

People talk about the need for a new LB, not for me I'd rather us keep it dry for a rainy day and invest elsewhere (cough, cough, DM!)
The biggest problem with Davies for years has been continuity. When he’s fit and has a good run of games it is pretty much ‘No Dramas’ at left back with the odd assist/goal popping up.

Maybe not the most progressive but nice and stable. I’m more worried about either removing the point losing mistakes from Aurier’s game or moving on.

Last edited:
I could see Sessegnon being ready to play LB alternating with Davies next season, realistically Cirkin would be the season after next....but with a good preseason showing and a coach prepared to play him, Cirkin could do a Tanganga and start in the first team next season, he's just so physically well developed although will continue to develop at aged 19) with all the technical attributes of a LB, just lacks the experience.

However Mourhino has spotted Aurier's defensive lapses and the team is now set up so that Aurier plays far forward, almost as a right midfielder so as to minimise the problems caused when Aurier concedes posession. In short our attacks often go down the right side.

In order to balance the team, Mourhino played Davies as a withdrawn LB, almost going 3 at the back when out of possession, and indeed Tanganga whilst not a left back has shown himself to be both willing and reasonably able due to his defensive skills to be a credible LB when in possession, and happier still to be LCB when out of possession.

Reason why I mention Aurier, is that whilst he is RB he's almost dictating the type of LB we need...…..and a standout candidate of that type of LB is Davies (and potentially Cirkin who is a strong defender with ability to go up and down the flanks) whilst Sessegnon is fine going forward but not sufficiently defensively minded imo to be paired with Aurier as FB.
I think Tangaga is fantastic but hasn't been too great when at LB, he's stuck at it and makes his opposite number work but has by and large been hung out to dry and lost most of his individual duels (this isn't a criticism of him, just what I think is reality of an LB performance in isolation without the context of his age and that it isn't his position).

I think Aurier is good at defending, no worse than Davies but Davies clearly far better suited to 3 at the back as has played CB many times previously, especially for Wales and Swansea.

Yeh, thanks chief! LOL

3 years ago is the summer following 2016/2017.... He'd just mouthed off for the first time and got his first clean slate from Poch... Evidently, he wasn't for sale then. (His deal was extended mid-2016!)

Refresh my memory if you wish, but I don't recall anything solid about him being sold before this past summer (when he was told to stay behind and find a new club).
I believe he almost went to Chavs for £50m that summer.

I believe he almost went to Chavs for £50m that summer.

Anything notable behind that belief? ......Afterall, he was still injured at that point and wasn't declared available again until October '17.

Last edited:
One way or another Ben gets a ridiculously raw deal just because Mane & Sane each once roasted him for pace few years back.

Style over substance with some fans, always has been.

Fans love power, pace and lung bursting relentless running from a full back. Rose provided that. Davies didn't provide that and it was such a different style, fans just couldn't get to grips with it.

Same fans literally have the same issue with Sessegnon.

Davies has always been solid for us. He has a good deep cross that causes defences problems, is solid defensively and his numbers are really solid and I have no problem with him at left back.

Back
Top Bottom