Davinson Sanchez

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Well, it's a question of how much you think we can get for him. Could we get £25m+ for him? I think so. In reality he's a sub £20m level CB.

If he went to Spam or Palace he'd not stand out, maybe actually the opposite as he'd not be playing with lesser players and put under pressure more often.

My view is that the £20m or £25m we get for him could get us a better player, or someone his level for a little less. I consider Ben Mee and Tarkowski better players than him, and I think both would have been happy to take position in our squad.

For example, I wouldn't be opposed to spending the Sanchez fee on Lenget, if he regains some form with us, and giving Rodon, Sanchez's spot. At least Rodon is a relative unknown quantity and has the potential to be something. Sanchez is a proven dud.

Ben Mee is better than Davinson????

Stupidity Are You Stupid GIF

I don't see how that's an inherently wrong point of view. Some players are shit but still manage to fetch a decent price.

We pulled Stoke's pants down with Wimmer. Iwobi was massively overpriced when Everton bought him, Pepe similarly shite but expensive.

3 freakish deals by dumb yet (relatively) rich clubs....... You're kind basing the 'norm' on 'exceptional' examples.

To assume that someone will "overpay" and then strategise on that basis isn't sound logic.

Again; I ask.... Why were there no takers for Lamela or Lucas for 20-25m in recent windows (as mooted by people that said they were shit and wanted rid)? .........Why are we struggling to get 20m for Gio? .......Surely Reg is fairly saleable?

If we're in the business of flogging 'magic beans' then I vote we get rid of Ndombele first.

Players don't always have the name and reputation to match their ability. Sanchez is such a player. So we can hope to recoup a decent chunk of cash by selling him.

I'm not suggesting we go to a tug of war with some other club to recoup the whole £42m we paid, anything over £20m would be decent.

This whole notion of someone "overpaying" aside; perhaps you think he's crap and want him gone.... ? That's a far simpler; yet subjective decision; however.

You've just said he's worth less than 20m...... Well then you'd be advised to enter the market being prepared to accept 15m (even if you set an opening price somewhat higher).

Would you still be keen to sell at 15m? Is it worth it? That's Rodon money?

3 freakish deals by dumb yet (relatively) rich clubs....... You're kind basing the 'norm' on 'exceptional' examples.
These are only 3 examples. There are countless signings that at the time of the transfer many pointed out as being overpriced.

Ben White was/is overpriced. What Newcastle paid for Almiron was massively overpriced. Wan-Bissaka was overpriced. Maguire was overpriced. etc etc.
To assume that someone will "overpay" and then strategise on that basis isn't sound logic.
It's completely logical. Once again, a player's transfer fee is not determined only by their ability (if you can even objectively quantify ability), and I'm saying that Sanchez has those other factors in his favour. I'm not assuming we'll get the desired price, but I think it's a realistic prospect, more so than the likes of Ndombele whose reputation has been completely tarnished, and is on a very high wage.

Levy has literally built this club to its current status by consistently underpaying for top talent over the course of a decade. So it is a sound business model.

This whole notion of someone "overpaying" aside; perhaps you think he's crap and want him gone.... ? That's a far simpler; yet subjective decision; however.

You've just said he's worth less than 20m...... Well then you'd be advised to enter the market being prepared to accept 15m (even if you set an opening price somewhat higher).

Would you still be keen to sell at 15m? Is it worth it? That's Rodon money?
Yes, I want him gone, and now, your frustration would make it a little sweeter.

If Sanchez was adamant on leaving then sure, £15m is fine too. I'd not be thinking it's "good business" though, cos that £15m would not get you much more than another Sanchez - unless you pull off a scouting masterstroke.

He's worth less than £20m purely based on ability, but based on perception of his ability in the wider footballing community, we might be able to get significantly more. That in turn can be spent on someone else who would would be just as good and possibly better.

These are only 3 examples. There are countless signings that at the time of the transfer many pointed out as being overpriced.

Ben White was/is overpriced. What Newcastle paid for Almiron was massively overpriced. Wan-Bissaka was overpriced. Maguire was overpriced. etc etc.

Now you're talking about richer clubs paying a premium to prise them out of clubs where they'd rather keep them.

Dav doesn't fit that description (at least not if you consider your desire to sell to be reflective of the club.).

It's completely logical. Once again, a player's transfer fee is not determined only by their ability (if you can even objectively quantify ability), and I'm saying that Sanchez has those other factors in his favour.

This part is all a bit mealy-mouthed...... What factor(s) aside form his perceived ability and his now 5 year track record at the club are you expecting clubs to "overpay" for?

I'm not assuming we'll get the desired price, but I think it's a realistic prospect,

This whole exchange is born of your initial assumption that someone will "overpay".

By all means rip your take up and start again, but what you're now saying here is vastly different.

more so than the likes of Ndombele whose reputation has been completely tarnished, and is on a very high wage.

Well yeh; I hoped it was obvious that my mention of Ndombele was a facetious (if not playful) extreme; but what about that other current and former Spurs I listed?

Lamela, Lucas, Gio, Reg.... Hell even Toby, we barely scraped a couple of million for.... Rose we couldn't sell and he ended up walking on a free..... All players with a decent 'on paper' reputation.

Levy has literally built this club to its current status by consistently underpaying for top talent over the course of a decade. So it is a sound business model.

Us being tough negotiators whilst using our relative financial weight against smaller clubs when buying has nothing to do with the notion of a currently skint European market indulging us by "overpaying" for our cast-offs.

Us "underpaying" as a wealthy(-ish) club is a completely different dynamic.

When's the last time we "overpaid" for a player on the way down?

Yes, I want him gone, and now, your frustration would make it a little sweeter.

What frustration? .......Why the childish "you're triggered"-ism all of a sudden?

(Up until now this has been a civil debate. If you'd rather not discuss the matter, then just don't reply any further.)

If Sanchez was adamant on leaving then sure, £15m is fine too. I'd not be thinking it's "good business" though, cos that £15m would not get you much more than another Sanchez - unless you pull off a scouting masterstroke.

Finally you're drifting into my way of thinking; even if you're reluctant to.....

This "less than 20m" you deem him worth makes him barely worth selling given the function he adequately serves in the squad.

He's worth less than £20m purely based on ability, but based on perception of his ability in the wider footballing community, we might be able to get significantly more.

"Might" is the big and operative word in this whole debate.

If someone comes in with a 25-30m bid we'll probably rip their arm off (and no; I shan't be "frustrated" by such an outcome!), but it's not very likely given the financial plight of the clubs that would likely be keen to take him.

That in turn can be spent on someone else who would would be just as good and possibly better.

Not if all we get is the "less than 20m" that you deem him to be worth.

Out of curiosity.... You say he's worth "less than 20m", but 15m is "not good business"; just how much do you think he's genuinely worth? It's not like you've left yourself much wiggle-room there.

The reality is, his best position is on the right side of the back three where Romero plays. Romero is undroppable so Sanchez isn’t getting into the first 11 anytime soon. In that case, Sanchez is just a backup so I think people should stop thinking about him as a quality first team player and rather a decent backup which in my opinion, he is.

I personally don’t think we would get north of 30m for him and it would be closer to 25m. My opinion is we wouldn’t get a better calibre player in his position, that is available, in the market right now that would be content with playing as backup because again, everyone now knows Romero is one of the first names on the team sheet.

Was very clumsy at times and can't play with the ball at his feet. At least he stayed in his position all the game and that was determinant for the clean sheet. But he's not the kind of CB to play in this formation, we miss a lot without Romero to carry the ball upfront.

Was very clumsy at times and can't play with the ball at his feet. At least he stayed in his position all the game and that was determinant for the clean sheet. But he's not the kind of CB to play in this formation, we miss a lot without Romero to carry the ball upfront.
Even when he plays well ones like you are at this shite.

Far from his biggest fan here, but for fuck sake wind it in.

Cleansheet?

giphy.gif

Like I mentioned before. As a team we defend well and we're hard to beat. Doesn't matter if Romero's out in that regard because Sanchez will step up in that defensive unit. Could have put Tanganga in there, same outcome. Lenglet? Same outcome.

What we miss with Romero out isn't defensive solidarity. It's the ability to break lines with a pass and set us on our way. Bravery and confidence on the ball. Sanchez doesn't provide that and it showed at times. However, defensively, we are fine.

We’re very lucky to have a player of his quality who seems content in a backup role. It’d be very difficult to find a backup of similar quality, without spending huge cash. Romero and Sanchez is excellent as a tandem for RCB.

He puts in a shift and I don't think we can ask for much more from a squad defender, which is what he is to us now. Still, my heart always skips a few beats when Hugo puts him under pressure with the out ball :levyeyes:

Back
Top Bottom