DeAndre Yedlin

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

taken from a sunderland forum. most agree he is good going foward but poor defensively.

Get him straight in the team at RB. I know it seems he has his flaws defensively, however he can't be any worse than Billy Jones can he? The lad has everything we lack; pace, electricity, agility, control and I'm sure he could do a good job given the chance. When the lad ran with the ball he looked unstoppable, so quick and skilful, and a beautiful cross for the goal.Definitely deserves his chance.

He wasn't even that good tonight. All the problems that Sterling caused us in the 1st half, including the 3rd and 4th goals came down City's left.

Sterling had a field day down our right side with Yedlin nowhere in sight the whole game. De Bruyne kept drifting over there as well because there was so much space.

Good assist and whipped in a few quality balls. Best RB option we have.

I thought he did well. johnson gave him no cover all neet.

Canny cross on him. I'm sure he'll have fun aiming for Defoe on Saturday.

He was part of a back 4 that conceded 4 goals and got ripped apart all night.
Turned his back on the shot for the OG as well. Unacceptable that, imo.

I was there tonight and although Yedlin looked good going forward he left us wide open at the back on many occasions.

Created three goalscoring opportunities. That's enough for me to say get him in ahead of jones.

You can learn to be a better defender, you can't learn that speed and agility though. Let's hope he doesn't get wasted at Sunderland but if he can be more intelligent than we might have a gem here.

That almost assist posted above was an incredible play really. With more time, he should get better defensively. He has been used as a winger so much recently that Im sure his skills are a bit rusty there.

Best thing I saw today (from the clips), was how he owned Kolarov just before the first cross. Took the pass on his chest from 30 yards, flicked it over Kolarov on the second touch to turn him inside out, and then blasted past past him down the wing. Then that cross.

I'm sure he has work to do defensively (and he'll get baptized by fire at Sunderland in that regard), but I think those two deadly crosses, including one for an assist, is an impressive full debut against arguably the best defensive side in England right now.

Yedlin rescued Team USA's butt in overtime - and made Team USA look bad in the process.
Team USA's attack was stagnant with Altadore stumbling around the pitch and an aging Dempsey needing, but not getting, service. Yedlin was brought in late - as an instant offense sub - and the rest of Team USA promptly ignored him. He was not getting the ball to attack, but Yedlin did help shutdown Mexico's attack on the left flank. When he did get the ball on the run, Mexico chopped out his legs.
Finally, at 107, they played the ball to Yedlin, where he had space to run. He burst to the middle, and laid a brilliant thru-ball that resulted in the tying goal. Team USA then went back to playing the ball away from Yedlin's right side, down the left - and ended up losing.
If Yedlin keeps improving, he has a chance to be similar to Danny Rose.

That game was awful last night. Yedlin with some space down the flanks is a dangerous player. In our current set up as a team, he could do a job.

Is Allardayce a closet racist or something?
Nah Diouf would have said something if he was. Yedlin don't fit Sam's style. Lump it up to the big fella, win a set piece or two & pile the 9 other big fellas into the box. In fact, he could be Gibbsy! Team of beasts. Flat track bullies who come unstuck the first decent footballing team they meet. Bolton did have a hoodoo over Woolwich though iirc. They don't like it up 'em them Gooners.

Tbh, he had a few bad touches last night as well. He's an enigma -- beautiful touch to juggle it over a defender yesterday, followed by him receiving the ball with his back to goal and somehow allowing it to bounce upwards and away from goal about 4 yds for a turnover.

I was sitting on the end behind Mexico's goal when Yedlin put that though ball in to Woods. It was an absolutely beautiful ball. Yedlin a few times had to shift to the opposite side of the pitch to get any ball time. Every single time he had possession he looked like the best player for the USMNT last night.

Starting to sound like he's more suited as a winger in the prem?

It's not a matter of position for Yedlin, it's a matter of where his skills fit in a formation. He has pace, he can beat a defender with straight line speed and cross, but little else - at this time. He is not a scoring threat. He is not a dribbler. He is getting better at defense. Good Man defense, but questionable Team defense.
In a 442, his skills fit as a RM - similar to a Lennon-type player. This is where he fits for TeamUSA. In a 4231 that Spurs play, he would need to play as a RB - similar to Rose.

Back
Top Bottom