DeAndre Yedlin

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Those are not correct.

There is no way in hell that Bale would be that slow.
Thanks for pointing it out; I too initially thought something was off as I thought I read about Bolt praising Bale for being close to him (in speed). So I guess, some of those some of those stats must be outdated then. Sorry.

Thanks for pointing it out; I too initially thought something was off as I thought I read about Bolt praising Bale for being close to him (in speed). So I guess, some of those some of those stats must be outdated then. Sorry.

Yedlin doesn't own the 100m record at his high school (10.88) either so I imagine he's probably closer to 11 flat.

Clubs trying to loan players in in January are probably in pretty precarious positions or injury bitten. I don't see them tripping over one another lining up to snap up a player who has played nearly constantly for 2 years at that point. They aren't going to sell kits and merch off the back of a half season loan.

Kits and merch also aren't the only indication of interest acquired. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if another Prem side came after him on loan (QPR in particular) in January. Only the wealthier clubs look in January for loans if they're desperate; but there are plenty of clubs, even around top flights in Europe, who often use short loans.

Clubs trying to loan players in in January are probably in pretty precarious positions or injury bitten. I don't see them tripping over one another lining up to snap up a player who has played nearly constantly for 2 years at that point. They aren't going to sell kits and merch off the back of a half season loan.

Kit sales don't really figure in to loans. Honestly, it should be way down the list of reasons to sign a player permanently too. He'll get a break either way, If anything he'll be fresher after November and December off than other loan options out there.

It wouldn't surprise me if we just keep him in training in winter/spring then fully assess where he's at for next year.

We'll see what happens in January. Like I said, I think he'll be given a rest and then eased into the club setup. The kid has played a lot recently, and he's going to be called up for the Gold Cup in the summer without a doubt. Have to rest and recover at some point.

Yedlin doesn't own the 100m record at his high school (10.88) either so I imagine he's probably closer to 11 flat.
Oh ... maybe, I guess.

If those stats weren't that helpful, then here's an excerpt from a recent article on him ... that might help to tell a bit more about his pace (style):
Yedlin isn't close to a finished product. “I think the player he is right now isn’t close to what he’s going to become,” said Sawatzky. “He’s just beginning to scratch the surface.”

Yedlin was timed in the 40-yard dash at Akron and “was running about a 4.2 or 4.3,” said Jared Embick, who replaced Porter as Akron’s head coach. “People talk about NFL guys running 4.2, 4.3. DeAndre has that kind of pace. But it’s not just that he’s fast, he’s strong, he runs strong, and that makes him able to run through contact, fight off tackles.”

Like most elite youth players, Yedlin was an attacking player for most of his club soccer days. Porter spotted him when he was assisting at a U.S. Under-18 national team camp and afterward sent Embick to recruit him. After Yedlin committed to Akron he was converted to right back to best utilize his pace and strength.

“He’s got the perfect skill-set for the modern game outside defender—bombing forward into the attack,” said Sawatzky. “Obviously he’s got the athleticism but also the skill. But he’s still learning to defend. He’s only been playing right back since 12th grade and for him that’s just four years ago. So his 1-v-1 defending will only get better the longer he plays.”

Kit sales don't really figure in to loans. Honestly, it should be way down the list of reasons to sign a player permanently too. He'll get a break either way, If anything he'll be fresher after November and December off than other loan options out there.

It wouldn't surprise me if we just keep him in training in winter/spring then fully assess where he's at for next year.
If Sounders keep form he'll be playing through the first week of December.

I dont get why anyone doesn't like this move. He will make the money back wth shirt sales and basically we will be making money off him. He is young enough to not count as a foreign player. He is pure raw talent and no one including hom will expect him to be a first team player. He is younger/faster/stronger than Naughton. He is a similar player to Walker so it wont be a drastic change in style when walker gets a game off. Fredericks can still play U-21, and if he proves better than Yedlin then they can switch or we can loan Yedlin out. This is a no lose situation for Tottenham.

We'll see what happens in January. Like I said, I think he'll be given a rest and then eased into the club setup. The kid has played a lot recently, and he's going to be called up for the Gold Cup in the summer without a doubt. Have to rest and recover at some point.

I'd suspect the club will probably give him a rest between the end of the MLS season and the start of the new year, and then he'd have the majority of January to impress Poch in training.

To make money.

I believe WindyCOYS WindyCOYS has talked about this on the pod, but the academy is, iirc, rather unambiguously in the business of making money from player sales, not restocking the first team.

Every academy provides a balance between these two, but Spurs seem comfortably toward the former side of the spectrum.

And why not? We have the money to buy talent, after all. We don't have to rely on the kids; so we don't.

I think that's a little unfair. Personally I think the chances haven't been there in the first team (wrongly) in a lot of cases, but that we've mainly made the right decisions when selling (except with Luongo).
Obviously the intention is to create players for the first team. If they aren't up to scratch (and not getting chances at the right time can stop them fulfilling potential IMO) then they are sold for good money (Caulker, Livermore).
I could go on and on about this but need sleep.

Back
Top Bottom