Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Am I crazy or was he drifting wider today?

Maybe it was a response to what Brighton were doing, but I felt Dele and Sessegnon were often taking up positions too close to one another throughout the game. Then Lo Celso came on through the middle of the park and we looked more dangerous.
He played wider because Sess was dropping deeper. He also dropped deeper in the first half, generally. Lo Celso was on the right with Aurier wide. Moura moved to the left next to Dele. After Eriksen came on he was able to play off Kane centrally.

It doesn’t count. Only what he does when we’ve got the ball matters according to some on here.

The pressing, the defensive work, the tracking. It doesn’t matter.
That's foolish. You don't put a player on for this reason and you cheerleaders aren't cheerleading because of his fucking defensive work. And like this isn't required of all the other outfield players. I wish Mou agreed with you guys on Dele defensive work. If he did then perhaps he wouldn't have said he's best up top.

You're on the bandwagon because of shiny objects with no regard to rest of his deficient game. He was supposed to press, do defensive work, and track for the last two seasons but he was absolute shit...BY HIS OWN ADMISSION. And now you want to give him a gold star for basic things required of any footballer and a remit that most lower league players can do.

The problem is he doesn't contribute to our ability to actually play football. Sure, he can run the same runs and hope for a ball over the top but when we are struggling for control of a game he is nowhere to be found because he's not that good a footballer. And when he's not scoring he's being carried by the rest.

The point I'm making is let's stop relying on such a capricious 'talent' and get a more consistent, actual footballer in his place. Perhaps it will have the settling effect similar to when GLC came on. Perhaps Harry won't have to drop so much to aid the actual footballing because Dele is only effective way up top where the football isn't being played.

Guess who gave the ball away cheaply and opted against making a tactical foul before ducking out of the way of the cross that Connolly could so easily have scored from at the beginning of the second half?

Guess who gave the ball away cheaply and opted against making a tactical foul before ducking out of the way of the cross that Connolly could so easily have scored from at the beginning of the second half?
How many guesses do I get?

Is the correct answer.
I think you're wrong though. I am reliably informed that he puts in a massive Kante-like defensive shift that instills fear in other teams. Part of the reason that Poch had to move Dele from the left side and pull Sonny back in the City game last year was because the PL called and said it was unfair sporting practice to have such a defensive 'stalwart' over there. His presence was making the City attackers disproportionately tired from all the overloading and untracked runners they were shoving down Davies' throat.

I think you're wrong though. I am reliably informed that he puts in a massive Kante-like defensive shift that instills fear in other teams. Part of the reason that Poch had to move Dele from the left side and pull Sonny back in the City game last year was because the PL called and said it was unfair sporting practice to have such a defensive 'stalwart' over there. His presence was making the City attackers disproportionately tired from all the overloading and untracked runners they were shoving down Davies' throat.
Have you not seen his goal and assist stats? Anything else is a fucking bonus. Every time he plays a shit pass, then flaps his arms at his team-mates like an indignant Baby Jesus, we should count ourselves lucky.

Have you not seen his goal and assist stats? Anything else is a fucking bonus. Every time he plays a shit pass, then flaps his arms at his team-mates like an indignant Baby Jesus, we should count ourselves lucky.
That's what many of the folks in this thread believe; 2 years of suck, he scores 3 goals in a horrible season in which he is still undroppable, and they got their Dele back. Don't know where their Dele was between the ManU and Brighton games though...games in which he was still horrible but scored so it's all good.

You contrast that with Wolves, a team for which he would not see the field, where all 10 outfield players can actually play some football. It's there for all to see yet they cling to the deficient because that's what they have. I jsut don't see how anyone that watches football cannot see how he could be upgraded upon. Only 1 player in the world that can't be upgraded. And then there's Wolves (and Leicester...the team that beat us to the silverware) loading and reloading on the cheap. If we don't do something it is pretty easy to see how they could eclipse us going forward. And that's hard to argue against seeing as both are ahead of us right now.

Last edited:
You haven't rewatched him though have you? This was a different game, just 48hrs after the previous one, so there is context.
G, now you know I wasn't going to rewatch that shitshow. I even told you as much in this thread. Would you like me to quote it?

And yes, there is context...probably context that would explain the tagging that you innocently complained about in the match thread. It wasn't out of the blue.

I don't think he was great but equally, without him, we wouldn't have drawn that game.
How is one to know? Sure, as things played out and thus in hindsight, he was part of our move to gain the pen. But how do you know that were a more competent, technically unchallenged player in his stead we wouldn't have won 5-2? You don't know and it can't be known. But for those of us that see his very glaring deficiencies obejctively (yes, I say that to his 'biggest fan') that is what we are asserting. Get an actual footballer in there and we will be better off. Like a Julian Brandt as a for instance. Or anyone that can reliable control and pass a ball.

You did say he was done, never to play again, so excuse me when I tag you on his next game, you just know there will be another one, your response shows that you know it too.
I don't believe I said he was done...but wait, I did say he was shit and stand by it. I don't believe I would say 'done' because I never thought he 'was'. He's never been a players for me. I said he would not get 10 more England caps and stand by it. I also said (I believe I said it but definitely think it) he will be playing for a mid-table team in a couple years. And I have a nagging habit of being right, ask RESPECT THE COCK RESPECT THE COCK . So feel free to tag me after 10 because saying 1 more cap would have been a fool's game considering chance and all.

I re-watched the Brighton game. Apart from the goal, he was very poor. Running around is a basic requirement. I would prefer an actual footballer, as opposed to a fucking Space Explorer.
Whhhyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy would you put yourself through that? But thanks for the affirmation that he was indeed what I remember from the game. As you know, he will always be 'great' in those games that he scores. Amazing that.

Back
Top Bottom