Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Never mind the talk of Muller and auxiliary strikers..... Does anyone else remember his performance against France at Wembley?

Where they hell has THAT guy gone?

I haven't ever really gotten the impression that he doesn't care. I think he does but he looks devoid of confidence and out of ideas about how to fit in and contribute. Maybe he feels that it is time to get into a different system and he needs a change of scenery, but I don't think that means he doesn't care.

Eriksen didn't care and it showed in his work rate. Dele works hard but unfortunately isn't contributing like he needs to.
I don't see Dele working hard. He's under the spotlight and he's not playing like someone with a point to prove. Unlike zlatan, I think Dele is the fiat that thinks it's a Ferrari. Shame

I definitely agree but also, our left side completely tanked. We went from having a very dangerous FB in Danny Rose to a FB in Ben Davies that cannot control the entire wing and be a threat going forward. Danny Rose DID make the league TOTY two years in a row.

As an opposition team, you can overload Spurs into the right and the right sided players can crowd out attacks.

Yes but let's be real - the TOTY awards are a joke.

Dele was just as fine in the second half of 16/17 when we had Davies play over Rose. In fact, let's have a look at Deles involvement in goals depending on who was at left back over the course of Rose's two TOTY seasons...

When Dele played with Rose - Dele involved in 24 goals
When Dele played with Davies - Dele involved in 21 goals

Barely anything in it.

I might even check to see Deles form and goal involvement without Dembele as opposed to with.

How confident is he going to be at the moment? He must be terrified of making a mistake. Dele’s game relies on the opposite. I don’t think its going to be easy for him to recover at Spurs, sadly.

Against poor opposition he needed a strong performance.... Let himself down tonight.

Didn't I see you in another thread saying this exact thing?

Themes anyone??? :)

I thought he was more involved than most today. Was looking to make some long through balls to the FB even though I don't think one came off. He was finding that hole in between their midfield and backline; which mind you, I could have done since I have affinity for holes, donut holes that is.

I did hear Jose say something to the effect of "Dele...fucking hell", so maybe he wasn't too pleased with the man.

I think the 3 subs kinda prove my point tbh.... All 3 needed "you can count on me, boss" performances..... All 3 fell short IMO. Compare to Serge who allegedly doesn't even want to be here anymore.....

I thought he was more involved than most today. Was looking to make some long through balls to the FB even though I don't think one came off. He was finding that hole in between their midfield and backline; which mind you, I could have done since I have affinity for holes, donut holes that is.

I did hear Jose say something to the effect of "Dele...fucking hell", so maybe he wasn't too pleased with the man.

Yeh, He was all over Dele by the end of the first half....

Yeah, serge played pretty well, but he is always going to look decent when having zero defensive pressure all game and a free license to go forward.

But yeah, I hear ya. Dissapointing to see some fringe players faulter when given the chance.

I wonder what it is about Dele that rubs Jose so much? I didn't catch anything that really stood out to me today. Granted, I was studying for an anal suppository exam and well, I love me those holes.

Lot of hate for Dele tonight, he was played as part of a front two with Son, behind him were Lamela, Winks, Ndombele and Bergwijn, you can hardly expect him to be seeing huge amounts of possession in that role, whilst his performance was by no means inspirational it wasn't that bad, will 'average' get him back in the starting eleven, no it certainly won't. He has no place upfront with Kane - Son - Bale no place out wide Lamela, Bergwijn, Moura and is now struggling to find a slot in midfield LoCelso, Ndombele, Winks, Hojbjerg ... it's not that he's become a bad player overnight he's just become a player with no obvious starting role at Spurs.

Maybe a loan is the right option or maybe he needs to decide just what position he is going to play and do that job better ... or just maybe Spurs is no longer the right fit for him or for us.

I think the 3 subs kinda prove my point tbh.... All 3 needed "you can count on me, boss" performances..... All 3 fell short IMO. Compare to Serge who allegedly doesn't even want to be here anymore.....

Yeh, He was all over Dele by the end of the first half....
I’m not sure why Jose thinks this is a good way to get someone short of confidence back to form.

According to this article it was "Dele, attention" followed by swearing

Lot of hate for Dele tonight, he was played as part of a front two with Son, behind him were Lamela, Winks, Ndombele and Bergwijn, you can hardly expect him to be seeing huge amounts of possession in that role, whilst his performance was by no means inspirational it wasn't that bad, will 'average' get him back in the starting eleven, no it certainly won't. He has no place upfront with Kane - Son - Bale no place out wide Lamela, Bergwijn, Moura and is now struggling to find a slot in midfield LoCelso, Ndombele, Winks, Hojbjerg ... it's not that he's become a bad player overnight he's just become a player with no obvious starting role at Spurs.

Maybe a loan is the right option or maybe he needs to decide just what position he is going to play and do that job better ... or just maybe Spurs is no longer the right fit for him or for us.
I think it has to do with his frail mentality. He has the talent (He is better than Lamela for sure) but he just can't seem to mature up.

It would be ironic and the height of embarrassment if Dele were to hang on and become our version of Ozil, if you know what I mean . Sadly, that seems to be happening.

He has been revealed as a fragile character who struggles with the pressure, either physical on the pitch, or mental off the pitch. Now is the time to let him go, while he still has some pride and others may see potential in him.

He gave us some jaw-dropping moments when we idolised him, but I fear those days are gone. The fans have tried to re-kindle the old Dele, but even that hasn't worked, probably because the opposition have got him sussed these days. Unlike many of our other players he doesn't roll with the pressure, more often than not he cracks.

I thought he played okay against poor opposition, but it was a game where he needed a big performance. He didn't appear to be lazy but didn't really have an impact on the game. Had he scored in the first half I'm sure most people would have been pretty happy with his performance, but unfortunately he didn't. If he is still lazy in training then get rid of him right now and be done with it, the documentary didn't exactly paint him in a good light.

Yes but let's be real - the TOTY awards are a joke.

Dele was just as fine in the second half of 16/17 when we had Davies play over Rose. In fact, let's have a look at Deles involvement in goals depending on who was at left back over the course of Rose's two TOTY seasons...

When Dele played with Rose - Dele involved in 24 goals
When Dele played with Davies - Dele involved in 21 goals

Barely anything in it.

I might even check to see Deles form and goal involvement without Dembele as opposed to with.
the TOTY awards are hardly a joke. To be recognized as the best in your position in the league is not easy.

The season after Rose's TOTY, Dele numbers tanked and the longer Davies has played, the more his numbers have dropped. He needs to play in a balanced system that stretches the opposition, not one that forces him to play in tight spaces using close control.

Towards the end he did a lot of jogging and so covered large distances even when being ineffective which gave some the impression he had worked hard
This was painfully obvious when watching games in the stadium.
He was trotting around the middle of the pitch all match no where near the ball, not trying to get the ball nor running into space. He was having what I would describe as a leisurly jog and that was it.

the TOTY awards are hardly a joke. To be recognized as the best in your position in the league is not easy.

The season after Rose's TOTY, Dele numbers tanked and the longer Davies has played, the more his numbers have dropped. He needs to play in a balanced system that stretches the opposition, not one that forces him to play in tight spaces using close control.

Of course they are a joke.

It was actually pretty embarrassing that Danny Rose even got in the team back in the 16/17 season considering he completed just 17 games.

BAsically Dele Alli needs other players to perform to make him look good - I thought as much. Take away Dembele creating space and wing backs stretching opposition and you have Jesse Lingard really, don't you?

That in itself tells me that we need to get rid.

He can't and hasn't adapted - it's why he's usually pretty bang average for England too. Whilst England CAN replicate stretching the opposition, there is no one in midfield who can create space like a prime Dembele so he often finds it too congested and his lack of technical ability shines through.

Consider the fact that England now either play 3 at the back or 433 - he again, finds himself with no true place in the team due to his lack of true ability as either a wide forward or a central midfielder.

Back
Top Bottom