Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He's a player that I like and would love to see him get back to where he was a few years ago.
One of my big issues with him is not knowing where his best position is. I always used to think playing just behind Harry Kane but he's currently lost his right to that position and I don't know if we are able to play that way to fit him in any more. I don't think he is a great midfielder but he often ends up there for us now and for England.
Only time will tell if he has the desire to turn things around that but I would like to think Jose has well and truly given him a kick up the arse with being left out of a couple of squads.

I think the only way he gets in this team, or any team now as they don’t seem to play with tens, is if he reinvents himself as an 8. He’s got all the tools for it, but I do t know if he wants it.

I think the only way he gets in this team, or any team now as they don’t seem to play with tens, is if he reinvents himself as an 8. He’s got all the tools for it, but I do t know if he wants it.

I was thinking along those lines but more as a striker. He doesn't seem to have the first touch and passing for a midfielder but he does have an eye for goal.

I guess one thing both our posts prove is that there is no real obvious place for him to play for us.

He's just not a CM.

He runs around a lot - I can never really fault Deles work rate. He's always amongst the top runners in the team, but he doesn't do much else. He hasn't got the close control and ability to beat a press (He instead relies on flicks) and he hasn't got the true power and burst of pace to take on a man or the range to dictate a game from deep.

I don't see where he fits in to this side, especially as a starter. Late in a game, need a goal from the bench perhaps bring on Dele - but is he happy with that role?

He's just not a CM.

He runs around a lot - I can never really fault Deles work rate. He's always amongst the top runners in the team, but he doesn't do much else. He hasn't got the close control and ability to beat a press (He instead relies on flicks) and he hasn't got the true power and burst of pace to take on a man or the range to dictate a game from deep.

I don't see where he fits in to this side, especially as a starter. Late in a game, need a goal from the bench perhaps bring on Dele - but is he happy with that role?
When we had a fully fit side and had an in-form Eriksen, Dele's movement created so many problems for the opposition that he filled a very unique role and thrived. I think that if we had a team and style of play that supported that role he would do well once again, but we don't and that's not how we play.

Sadly, we're approaching the end with Dele and it's really him, not us. Doesn't seem to have matured much or grown as a player.

When we had a fully fit side and had an in-form Eriksen, Dele's movement created so many problems for the opposition that he filled a very unique role and thrived. I think that if we had a team and style of play that supported that role he would do well once again, but we don't and that's not how we play.

Sadly, we're approaching the end with Dele and it's really him, not us. Doesn't seem to have matured much or grown as a player.

You know the unsung hero in all of this is?

Mousa Dembele.

Is it a surprise that since Dembele declined, was in the team less and eventually left, both Dele and Eriksens form declined?

That guy created so much space for those two and he doesn't get enough credit for it.

Mousa Dembele.

Is it a surprise that since Dembele declined, was in the team less and eventually left, both Dele and Eriksens form declined?

That guy created so much space for those two and he doesn't get enough credit for it.

I dunno man, I think pretty much everybody here and who watched Spurs through recent history will know just how important Dembele was for us and how we've been crocked ever since. Very well thought of in Spurs circles, maybe not so much outside of them though.

I dunno man, I think pretty much everybody here and who watched Spurs through recent history will know just how important Dembele was for us and how we've been crocked ever since. Very well thought of in Spurs circles, maybe not so much outside of them though.

Oh no doubt with regards to his ability.

But I don't think people realised just HOW much impact he had on the players around him and not just the whole team. Eriksen has never looked as good without Dembele creating the space for him and I am starting to believe perhaps he's also the reason for Deles decline too - less space, more congested areas etc.

I don't even think he wants to be here any more just plays like he dosen't care.

Moving on would not just do the club good but also his career.

I haven't ever really gotten the impression that he doesn't care. I think he does but he looks devoid of confidence and out of ideas about how to fit in and contribute. Maybe he feels that it is time to get into a different system and he needs a change of scenery, but I don't think that means he doesn't care.

Eriksen didn't care and it showed in his work rate. Dele works hard but unfortunately isn't contributing like he needs to.

I haven't ever really gotten the impression that he doesn't care. I think he does but he looks devoid of confidence and out of ideas about how to fit in and contribute. Maybe he feels that it is time to get into a different system and he needs a change of scenery, but I don't think that means he doesn't care.

Eriksen didn't care and it showed in his work rate. Dele works hard but unfortunately isn't contributing like he needs to.
Perhaps, but didn't Eriksen also have a fairly high work rate during his worst period?

Perhaps, but didn't Eriksen also have a fairly high work rate during his worst period?
I personally didn't think so. That's really what pissed me off with him, not so much that he wanted to go and do something else. His defensive work rate was laughable, but it was obvious on his offensive attacks as well. Passes became lazy and we were relying more on counter attacking, but he was rarely a part of them.

Granted he scored a handful of goals and had a couple of assists even during his bad period, but I think that's where I saw the difference between him and Dele.

Mousa Dembele.

I definitely agree but also, our left side completely tanked. We went from having a very dangerous FB in Danny Rose to a FB in Ben Davies that cannot control the entire wing and be a threat going forward. Danny Rose DID make the league Team of the Year two years in a row.

As an opposition team, you can overload Spurs onto their right and the opposition's right sided players can crowd out attacks.

If that's it for Dele, Spurs fans shouldn't take shots at him. I think he wants to stay and works very hard. If it's just he doesn't fit into the squad, it's tough but for the betterment of the club, it might be time to part ways.

Let's not forget that he scored a lot of great goals for us in important games. Real Madrid, Utd, Chelsea (!!!), Woolwich, he came up big for us.

At his best Dele was able to get into great positions, score both spectacular and opportunistic goals, and produce creative moments.

He was able to do some of the above fairly regularly, which made it easy to ignore how little else he added to the team across 90 minutes. Even at his best it was very rare for him to put in a MotM performance.

Now the goals and creativity has dried up he's bringing nothing to the table.

I also think he's at his best when acting instinctively. His decision making when given too much time is woeful.

Back
Top Bottom