Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If you've been supporting Spurs long enough, you know Dele is a Spurs LEGEND.

If you grow up watching Iversen as your best Spurs player and getting excited at a 1 year stint from Klinsman to clinch midtable, you can understand how the person who got us an assist to send us to a Champions League final, scored 2 past Real Madrid etc.. deserves our time and patience.

It aint all about winning, I had more fun watching us fuck up a bunch of chelski bitches at the battle of the bridge then a flippin 2008 league cup.

GIVE THE BOY SOME BLOODY LOVE

Don't disagree with most of this but however poor the Spurs team was there is absolutely no way that Iversen was anywhere near our best player. His two best seasons coincided with peak Ginola creating for him. I remember the hype and excitement of him joining and he was very disappointing. In terms of Dele he has given us some great moments but hasn’t he been allowed quite a bit of time and patience already?

Bollocks .
True legends are obvious , there is no room for debate . Hoddle , Ardilles , Gazza , Kane , Blanchflower , Greaves , McKay , to name a few , they are the definition of legend.
To put Ali amongst these is undermining their contribution , ability and heroic status.
Dele is a geezer that hasn't delivered for 2 years , 2 season wonder that know can't even get on the bench or anywhere near a bang average England midfield.
Pull the other one .

youre happy with a few moments in 3 games from 3 years?? HAHAHAHAH

just checked, palace was 2016!!! dear oh dear what a fucking stinker
You know he could have said Real Madrid or Man United right.. its fascinating to watch our own fans crap so enthusiasticly on our own players. The player may not have a future with us but pretending he has only produced in three games over the years is utterly distorting the truth. As I said before football is not just goals and assits, watch the first goal in the Kane Woolwich brace, he did that alot when he was on it, won the ball high up the pitch and set up a player to pass in Kane or Eriksen. He was not just a show pony flicking and scoring, he used to work. He is carp but he was not the sum of three games.

Last edited:
oh im calm, i just had a good laugh at you thinking a few moments over 3 years is good enough.

It's way more than "a few moments". Such claims only serve to erode the credibility of your position.

Even in his last full (comparatively shit) season (i.e. last year) he had more than "a few good moments".

The word 'legend' gets thrown around all over the shop these days.

I don't personally put Dele in that category but some people have a far more generous interpretation of the term 'legend' than i do. Each to their own.

It's way more than "a few moments". Such claims only serve to erode the credibility of your position.

Even in his last full (comparatively shit) season (i.e. last year) he had more than "a few good moments".
we must see the game differently. you may be happy with a juvenile kid popping up with a moment once every 7 games but im more interested in men who are gonna turn up 9/10 games and actually improve us over a season. 3 years is not a blip! 1.5 years out of 5 is an horrendous return for 'good form'. its clear as day he was the one season wonder. he doesnt have the technique or attitude required to be a top footballer. he loos like a lower league player, playing amongst far more advanced pros.

I don't subscribe to the notion re: Dele either, but length of service has little to do with it....
I think it does, at least to such an extent. Klinnsmann, VDV and a few others were great Spurs players and cult heroes, but (at least in my judgment) you can't be a legend off the back of a season or two, no matter how spectacular.

There are in my view very few bona fide legends, based around service, feats, appearances, ability and love of the club, give or take a few other things. Stevie P, Mackay, Greaves, Ardiles, Hoddle, Kane and the like. I am all for a more restricted use of the term.

As for Dele even taking into account his recent dip he was a great player for us - just not in my book a legend or cult hero. I get not everyone will share that interpretation. Each to their own.

we must see the game differently. you may be happy with a juvenile kid popping up with a moment once every 7 games but im more interested in men who are gonna turn up 9/10 games and actually improve us over a season. 3 years is not a blip! 1.5 years out of 5 is an horrendous return for 'good form'.

The numbers he was racking up in his first few seasons equates to far beyond a few "good moments" or "a moment once every 7 games"..... Unless one considers an entire season as a "moment"....

its clear as day he was the one season wonder. he doesnt have the technique or attitude required to be a top footballer. he loos like a lower league player, playing amongst far more advanced pros.

That's just silly talk. He was making a significant impact for a number of years. Regardless of his current level; you're revising history.

If you grow up watching Iversen as your best Spurs player and getting excited at a 1 year stint from Klinsman to clinch midtable, you can understand how the person who got us an assist to send us to a Champions League final, scored 2 past Real Madrid etc.. deserves our time and patience.

It aint all about winning, I had more fun watching us fuck up a bunch of chelski bitches at the battle of the bridge then a flippin 2008 league cup.

GIVE THE BOY SOME BLOODY LOVE
Who in their right mind ever had Iversen as their best spurs player?

I think it does, at least to such an extent. Klinnsmann, VDV and a few others were great Spurs players and cult heroes, but (at least in my judgment) you can't be a legend off the back of a season or two, no matter how spectacular.

There are in my view very few bona fide legends, based around service, feats, appearances, ability and love of the club, give or take a few other things. Stevie P, Mackay, Greaves, Ardiles, Hoddle, Kane and the like. I am all for a more restricted use of the term.

That much I agree with, but that's linked to a lack of success as much as anything else....

Look it another way... Should anyone have scored a winning goal for us in the CL final they'd have instantly attained legendary status.... Irrespective of how long they'd been at the club.

.....Just ask OGS.

(Though no doubt deserving by the end of his tenure; even Kane currently looks conspicuous in your list.)

That much I agree with, but that's linked to a lack of success as much as anything else....

Look it another way... Should anyone have scored a winning goal for us in the CL final they'd have instantly attained legendary status.... Irrespective of how long they'd been at the club.

.....Just ask OGS.

(Though no doubt deserving by the end of his tenure; even Kane currently looks conspicuous in your list.)
The distinction I would make is this. A one-season hero who scored in a CL final would certainly be a legendary feat, but for me personally they wouldn't be a club legend as such. It's of course a purely personal, totally unscientific view and we all have different appreciation of what makes a 'legend' as fans.

Although I do think Kane is already a legend, even if he were to retire tomorrow. No trophies yet sadly (let's hope this changes!) but been at the club ages, loyal, and already one of our all-time top goalscorer. Hopefully he will be even more secure by the time that he retires.

The distinction I would make is this. A one-season hero who scored in a CL final would certainly be a legendary feat, but for me personally they wouldn't be a club legend as such. It's of course a purely personal, totally unscientific view and we all have different appreciation of what makes a 'legend' as fans.

Although I do think Kane is already a legend, even if he were to retire tomorrow. No trophies yet sadly (let's hope this changes!) but been at the club ages, loyal, and already one of our all-time top goalscorer. Hopefully he will be even more secure by the time that he retires.

Is Defoe a legend in your book?

Back
Top Bottom