Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'll assume the lack of a tag was a minor oversight.

It may suit your position to have this imaginary chasm between a pinned back Hojberg and Ndombele and an attack circle jerking in the oppositions third miles away and isolated but that doesn't make it so -
Ok, you're right this never happens. It never happened with Poch as well. There have never been cries of "where's our MF" and we always look a connected unit out there. gotcha.

the midfield base gets pinned back currently because one half of it is useless on the ball, replacing him with a player who is comfortable and press resistant will help us keep hold of the ball in midfield, play through pressure and link in with the attacking players.
So your solution is put a 1 man, defensive liability back there to cure our problems? So you'd like to rely on individual brilliance to solve this and with Mou relying on individual brilliance for our attack this sounds like a great plan. Have Ndom tranistion the ball 30yds on the dribble eveytime in order for us to get out. Or he can send 20-30 yd balls to Dele in the hope that he can control it and make a decision this century on what to do with it in the event he is able to get away from any mark. Gotta admit I'm starting to see the genius in your plan.

And replacing the useless on-the-ball MFer with Ndom gets us control of the MF how? Does he just run for his life with the ball at his feet? Hodgepodge is not comfortable witht he ball under pressure either. He can do the functional stuff but he and Ndom will not be controlling any MF...they will need another to show for the ball...and Dele ain't that player.

Listen Micky, I don't mean to hate here but I honestly don't think you know what you are talking about here. I honestly don't think you ahve any idea about football and are just parroting things you've heard in the hope that you can convince someone that a player you like has a purpose and future here. Good on you but unless you've got something of substance and based in reality to say then I say let's just let it drop.

The likelihood of Dele getting into Mourinho's team as a regular is almost zero. He would have to reinvent himself to achieve that and I don't think he has it in him.

He is simply a limited player, that can be great in a team that maximizes his strength. He probably should have been sold like 2 seasons ago, when his value was quite exaggerated.

Last edited:
I'm not gonna address the wall of hopeful "I love Dele and therefore he should play because I think he could fix it" nonsense. Where and how does Dele help in our 'buildup' FFS? If he is useful there then why didn't he help in it where he was playing deeper? He can't pass, he can't dribble, and has a loose touch so how does he help in our buildup? And with Mou what actual buildup is there for him to help with? We hoof the ball unless Ndom has gotten on it. How's dele help there?

What qualities does Dele have that would help us? Actual quality I ask. Can he shoot? Can he pass? Can he dribble a player? He has got nothing upon which you can rest your hat yet you say that he can help us. We are playing Mou's system so make sure you keep that in perspective with any answer. Sure, he can help us by moving on and getting 60M that we can buy another player with. Beyond that it's just wishful thinking on your part.
Build up further up the pitch, you've watched us/him play before Borinho or before he was deployed deeper, no? You've watched him the other night, no? That's the build-up, that's linking play, that's creating, that's what we don't have other than Kane & Son, which creates it's own problems as that's just a tad predictable now. AGAIN, specifically in games like I specified, we miss him.

In games where we sit the entire match on our own box, and our ONLY attacking opposition is 4 fast transitions per game, then no, like I said I WOULD PREFER BERGWIJN.

There was a brief moment where in a tiny handful of games both Kane and Son were looking to knick the ball high up the pitch, that too would have been great too for Dele. But I guess Kane & Son have done so much solo stuff that they are both gassed right now and this has disappeared.

You have the answers from me loads of times previously from you last para, what's the point answering them again, if in two weeks you ask them of me again?

Crazy after 17 games he has played less than 90minutes of football and there are arguments about him playing still.

He needs to move on, the club need to move him on. I get the feeling this is now hardball with PSG with Daniel in his element.

Be interesting to see if he plays in the cup. Risk an injury to him?
Or just maximise the money from him while we look for a players who is a Mourinho type fit. .

Crazy after 17 games he has played less than 90minutes of football and there are arguments about him playing still.

He needs to move on, the club need to move him on. I get the feeling this is now hardball with PSG with Daniel in his element.

Be interesting to see if he plays in the cup. Risk an injury to him?
Or just maximise the money from him while we look for a players who is a Mourinho type fit. .

1) its a crap time to sell as transfer fees are deflated
2) because of home grown rules and who is available who we can replace him with is limited to the likes of Jesse Lingard

The likelihood of Dele getting into Mourinho's team as a regular is almost zero. He would have to reinvent himself to achieve that and I don't think he has it in him.

He is simply a limited player, that can be great in a team that maximizes his strength. He probably should have been sold like 2 seasons ago, when his value was quite exaggerated.
He would replace Draxler I guess.

We are missing his goal contributions, there doesn’t seem to be anyone else in the squad who is going to chip in with 10+ goals and that is a worry!

Yep. He should get some games as the furthest forward midfielder. But his time is done I think. It it wasn’t he would of co e on against Fulham when the game was crying out for a player like him to help get that second goal.

I'll assume the lack of a tag was a minor oversight.

Ok, you're right this never happens. It never happened with Poch as well. There have never been cries of "where's our MF" and we always look a connected unit out there. gotcha.

So your solution is put a 1 man, defensive liability back there to cure our problems? So you'd like to rely on individual brilliance to solve this and with Mou relying on individual brilliance for our attack this sounds like a great plan. Have Ndom tranistion the ball 30yds on the dribble eveytime in order for us to get out. Or he can send 20-30 yd balls to Dele in the hope that he can control it and make a decision this century on what to do with it in the event he is able to get away from any mark. Gotta admit I'm starting to see the genius in your plan.

And replacing the useless on-the-ball MFer with Ndom gets us control of the MF how? Does he just run for his life with the ball at his feet? Hodgepodge is not comfortable witht he ball under pressure either. He can do the functional stuff but he and Ndom will not be controlling any MF...they will need another to show for the ball...and Dele ain't that player.

Listen Micky, I don't mean to hate here but I honestly don't think you know what you are talking about here. I honestly don't think you ahve any idea about football and are just parroting things you've heard in the hope that you can convince someone that a player you like has a purpose and future here. Good on you but unless you've got something of substance and based in reality to say then I say let's just let it drop.

Where's our midfield was a question that came about towards the end when Winks & Sissoko was our midfield pairing, no such questions were asked prior.

Who's the defensive liability, Ndombele? That may have been the case last season when he looked like a blimp and was blowing hot air from 5 minutes running on the pitch, but now his defensive contributions are improving game after game and his fittness levels are sound (ball recoveries and tackles made are respectable) and i don't see a midfield pairing of him and PH as having any concerns defensively in games where we are expected to take the game to the opposition - we'll have the ball more than we do not in these games so it's their on the ball ability that will tell.

Currently Hojberg has a midfield partner who does not show for the ball and can only play sideways/backwards passes when he does - this invites pressure and limits PHs options, improve on Sissoko with a player comfortable on the ball and with a better range of passing and we will play through and control the midfield - it'll also help push the team forward 5-10 yards rather than getting pushed back, there is no need for individual brilliance to get us through just good players showing for the ball, passing and moving their way around the pitch.

A better central midfield moves us forward reducing the gaps you are worried about between mf and attack, Kane dropping off and showing for the ball in deeper areas helps that further, and contrary to your belief that Dele can't operate in that area of the pitch i believe he can and has shown it this season, albeit against weaker opposition, in the Europa League when he was key to a good attacking performance away to Ludogrets picking the ball up from the deeper players and moving it intelligently from the central AM area to the advancing full backs and in to forward players centrally - basically exactly what you want to see from your central AM, he had a hand in 3 goals that evening and ran the show, It was a good performance in a position that we need improving and enough to earn him the chance to show what he can do there in the league considering it's a problem area for us.

Last edited:
He can’t score goals if he doesn’t get picked.
50 goals and 33 assists is a lot to remove from a team without replacing it , while also losing Erisken as well contributing 51 goals and 62 assists in his time at Spurs.
Right now in our squad I don’t see any other players bar son or Kane getting in double numbers for goals or assists this season and that is a massive problem!

50 goals and 33 assists is a lot to remove from a team without replacing it , while also losing Erisken as well contributing 51 goals and 62 assists in his time at Spurs.
Right now in our squad I don’t see any other players bar son or Kane getting in double numbers for goals or assists this season and that is a massive problem!
I agree with you completely. I rate Dele.

But the reality is that Jose isn’t picking him so we should let him go.

Its the story of statistical decline it ends with us mid table.

Back
Top Bottom