Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So what you’re saying is that Dele is shit because of Kane? Interesting

What I'm saying is that Kane and Dele were forced to create their own chances in this game. There was zero service from the rest of the squad.

When Kane got the ball, he was often crowded out quickly and our attacks mostly ended with Kane losing the ball as he held onto it for too long as he tried to find space for the shot himself.

Dele preferred to pass and run into space. However, the return pass never came.

The reason Kane is world class is that he can create his own chances (just as Bale could). Dele meanwhile needs good players around him - and if he does have that he will score 10+ goals a season.

What I'm saying is that Kane and Dele were forced to create their own chances in this game. There was zero service from the rest of the squad.

When Kane got the ball, he was often crowded out quickly and our attacks mostly ended with Kane losing the ball as he held onto it for too long as he tried to find space for the shot himself.

Dele preferred to pass and run into space. However, the return pass never came.

The reason Kane is world class is that he can create his own chances (just as Bale could). Dele meanwhile needs good players around him - and if he does have that he will score 10+ goals a season.
Mate, you're running around in circles

You're basically saying Dele is shit and good at in the same post

Then saying Kane can create his own chances and thus world class but also saying he doesn't get any service so can't score or make things happen

I think you need to take a position and stick with it

Kane and Dele are either shit or good

Which is it?

Mate, you're running around in circles

You're basically saying Dele is shit and good at in the same post

Then saying Kane can create his own chances and thus world class but also saying he doesn't get any service so can't score or make things happen

I think you need to take a position and stick with it

Kane and Dele are either shit or good

Which is it?

KANE
GOOD
On his day, he is world class and can score from half chances and play excellent passes.

BAD
Gets frustrated when he hasn't scored; and this tends to show when he holds the ball for too long looking for that half chance.
Has stopped fighting for balls since his injury.

DELE
GOOD
Excellent movement and often loses his marker and gets into goal scoring space, but requires a good pass to pick him out.
Good link up play on the end of the box.
Good work rate, always pressing from the front.

BAD
Takes risks that can result in losing possession.
No good at playing long range passes.

And whilst we are at it

SON

GOOD
World class with the ball at his feet in the 18 yard box.
Good work rate, always pressing.
Pace and timing to get behind defenders.

BAD
Aerial threat is non-existent.
Ineffective and poor first touch with his back to goal.

KANE
GOOD
On his day, he is world class and can score from half chances and play excellent passes.

BAD
Gets frustrated when he hasn't scored; and this tends to show when he holds the ball for too long looking for that half chance.

DELE
GOOD
Excellent movement and often loses his marker and gets into goal scoring space, but requires a good pass to pick him out.

BAD

And whilst we are at it

SON

GOOD

BAD
Mate, Kane has negative goals under his xG since the start of last season. This scoring from half chance narrative is nonsense. He’s not as good a finisher as people think.

What you described under Deles ‘good’ section describes almost every shit PL player that runs around a lot but has little to no quality. These guys never make it over a consistent period of time. He’s done.

Please. Watch this. DELE vs MURA

Dele was actually very good. Had the final. Ball been better, he could have scored 3 in the first 10 minutes. Pressing well and excellent movement.

Our attacks almost always ended with Kane losing the ball.

Simple. Without Eriksen we have zero service.

What a bizarre video. I watched it all the way through and a lot of the video shows Dele with a circle drawn around him “near” the ball not really affecting play. Other bits show him giving the ball away, giving fouls away, being outmuscled and getting beaten one on one. Yes there are bits where he is shown running about a bit and moving his legs fast while not really travelling quickly. There are also bits as you said where he made a good pass and didn’t get the return but you conclude he could have scored 3 had the ball been returned to him- I doubt it because he is no longer a great finisher partly because he has to rush in front of goal as he is too slow. He came off because as the game went on he was becoming less and less effective and stupidly got himself booked.
And you must also remember that this was Mura- a team that lies 5th in the Slovenian National League some 11 points behind the mighty Koper FC.
Get some perspective

KANE
GOOD

BAD

DELE
GOOD

BAD

And whilst we are at it

SON

GOOD

BAD
You need to add a few things onto the ‘Bad’ section for Dele if you are going to be truthful. I’ll help you
Slow as a cart horse
Petulant and stroppy
Poor in the air
Poor first touch
Easy to beat one on one
Often slows the play down and in doing so blunts potential counter attacks

You’re welcome

Did you watch the video?

Again, please tell me what he could have done better. He ran into goal scoring space on plenty of occasions and, what should have been reasonably mid-level passes into him were made a complete mess of.
I don't need to watch the video; I've sat through season after season watching Dele decline in real time. Nearly scored? So what! Happens to loads of players. Give it up pal, it's sad that he's gone so wrong, but it happens to all kinds of people, in all walks of life. He's just lucky he's got a good agent.

If Canelo wanted to show Ryan Garcia what can happen when you forget to train and spend too much time on social media he should show him videos of early Spurs Dele and modern Dele as a warning.

No matter how you dress this up with stats, he is still playing badly, which is why he's now part of the ECL "B" team, and was hooked(along with a few others) in both legs against Mura, and the big guns were brought on to try and rescue the game. When was the last time he scored 16 goals a season?
It certainly wasn't in the last 3 seasons. Your continued support for Dele is admirable, but bordering on obsessive, and somewhat blinkered. What matters, is what happens on the day of a match, and not years ago. Regardless of previous injuries etc, being played out of position(which are just a couple of the many excuses given by his devotees) ,when a player isn't performing well on a regular basis, then his position in the pecking order gets lower. I couldn't care less what he drives, or how he dresses, I care about what he contributes during a game for Spurs, which sadly isn't much these days, and I just don't understand the amount of press coverage he receives.

Stop looking back, and focus on the present. Hopefully he'll come good in the future.
I've not mentioned or brought into the conversation what he did when he was played as a 2nd sticker because playing in the roles he's mostly been asked to play since then that's not going to happen, which is the point I've consistently been making for ages now, even to people that wasn't even aware that he was no longer playing as a 10 or 2nd striker! I find it totally bizarre that anyone would use this stick to beat him with, which is made even worse when we clearly no longer play as a high pressing team outshooting the oppo x10 to 1 every game.

Another really poor take is to target someone, that likes him because you don't. All of you do it, because I see a different player than the one you describe rather than producing a counterargument with a football take of your own you all take the default option of calling that person "blinkered & obsessive" or whatever the choice word of poison is that day. The only obsessive behaviour is that shown is by those slagging him off in this thread when he's barely playing for the team, oh what fucking irony! If he hasn't played I don't really see the point of discussion in here, yet within multiple threads, they are littered with the same people arguing the same points about players going around in circles for months on end.

I don't think he played at all well the other night, but in the first half he was better than Kane, Gil, Rodon, Tanganga, Doherty & Sess. No one that started came out with any credit other than Skipp (for his workmanlike but poor 1st half and an improved 2nd half performance. I still thought Kane was shit despite his well-taken goal). Yet the "obsession" is to post that defeat reasons onto one man's shoulders, Dele's. The amount of dialogue in here compared to any other player completely proves this point!!

So, I'm not the one looking into the past, never have been, I'm not nor have I ever been looking at his previous goal record and expecting the same thing in the present. My entire argument has been the absolute opposite to this as he has been played as an 8 or a 6 for most of his games in the last 3 years! Yet here you are bringing up his past goal count, what for? It bears no relevance to the present unless you are making the comparison to then and now.

The stats I posted were all current and in the present, you see that's the point of the argument. So who's living in the past, me or you? The answer to that couldn't be clearer.

Is there someone mad or desperate enough to take a punt on Dele? Newcastle? A team in another league (who don’t have the internet or watch telly…)?

What do people here think we can realistically get for him now?

Asking because a group of us Spurs fans have been discussing this with wildly varying opinions.

For what it’s worth it’s a shame the way it’s gone for him. However, he is a shadow of the player he was and threatened to be. Poor touch, weak, can’t hit the target on the rare occasions he is on the end of a chance, Non-existent aerial ability, won’t/can’t sprint, gives the ball away - apart from that, decent…

Is there someone mad or desperate enough to take a punt on Dele? Newcastle? A team in another league (who don’t have the internet or watch telly…)?

What do people here think we can realistically get for him now?

Asking because a group of us Spurs fans have been discussing this with wildly varying opinions.

For what it’s worth it’s a shame the way it’s gone for him. However, he is a shadow of the player he was and threatened to be. Poor touch, weak, can’t hit the target on the rare occasions he is on the end of a chance, Non-existent aerial ability, won’t/can’t sprint, gives the ball away - apart from that, decent…
20? Honestly can't see him going for much more than that

Did you watch the video?

Again, please tell me what he could have done better. He ran into goal scoring space on plenty of occasions and, what should have been reasonably mid-level passes into him were made a complete mess of.

I do think he could have got a goal or 2 on another day with better service, then his whole performance would have been seen differently.

This one for example - a truly world class playmaker, or a player that knows a team mate well having played many years together would be wise to Dele's run, and chop a pass into the massive void he's running towards.
Instead Kane opted to roll this one off to Doherty..
dele1.jpg

A few seconds later, Dele's run has dropped some intensity to stay onside - still in a very good position for a cross. Anywhere around the penalty spot with a large margin for error would find Dele in a great xG position I would expect.
Doherty opts to play this one shin high directly at the defender Gil is running behind.
Poor run from Gil, terrible delivery from Doherty and we are denied the opportunity to see if Dele was capable of putting that away through no fault of his own.
dele2.jpg

Another one of Dele arriving late in the box with a lot of space. Doherty on the cross so answers on a post card for how dangerous you think the delivery was.
dele5.jpg

Yet again Dele arriving late in the box. The still image perhaps doesn't quite do the situation justice, but things did open up for Dele - just a shame that Kane slowed it down, possibly wasn't aware of Deles position again, and decided on the safe option of rolling it back to Sessegnon.
Dele continued that run towards the back post but once again you won't be surprised to hear the wing back delivery was not of the quality we should expect.
dele9.jpg

Lets have 1 more of these. Kane is in a pretty good position here, the defender lost his footing, as Kane runs towards the front - Dele runs in towards the back post.. Doherty has space, the keeper is pretty much on his line.. surely a ball towards the back of the 6 yard box is very realistic in this situation...
Oh no, it's Doherty.
dele10.jpg

The above being said, what annoyed me most with Dele's performance was his frequent standing touch tight to their RCB #21 in situations where midfielders (Skipp often) are looking for a pass in front of them, but only see a bank of 3 flat opposition midfielders with our players seemingly happy to be man marked out of being a viable passing option. Not coming and showing for the ball, occasionally making a run in behind as though Alderweireld is still in his prime pinging them on a sixpence over the top. Like this for example.

78Zenpcl6wMG.jpg

So what I'm trying to say is that Doherty is shit.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do think he could have got a goal or 2 on another day with better service, then his whole performance would have been seen differently.

This one for example - a truly world class playmaker, or a player that knows a team mate well having played many years together would be wise to Dele's run, and chop a pass into the massive void he's running towards.
Instead Kane opted to roll this one off to Doherty..
dele1.jpg

A few seconds later, Dele's run has dropped some intensity to stay onside - still in a very good position for a cross. Anywhere around the penalty spot with a large margin for error would find Dele in a great xG position I would expect.
Doherty opts to play this one shin high directly at the defender Gil is running behind.
Poor run from Gil, terrible delivery from Doherty and we are denied the opportunity to see if Dele was capable of putting that away through no fault of his own.
dele2.jpg

Another one of Dele arriving late in the box with a lot of space. Doherty on the cross so answers on a post card for how dangerous you think the delivery was.
dele5.jpg

Yet again Dele arriving late in the box. The still image perhaps doesn't quite do the situation justice, but things did open up for Dele - just a shame that Kane slowed it down, possibly wasn't aware of Deles position again, and decided on the safe option of rolling it back to Sessegnon.
Dele continued that run towards the back post but once again you won't be surprised to hear the wing back delivery was not of the quality we should expect.
dele9.jpg

Lets have 1 more of these. Kane is in a pretty good position here, the defender lost his footing, as Kane runs towards the front - Dele runs in towards the back post.. Doherty has space, the keeper is pretty much on his line.. surely a ball towards the back of the 6 yard box is very realistic in this situation...
Oh no, it's Doherty.
dele10.jpg

The above being said, what annoyed me most with Dele's performance was his frequent standing touch tight to their RCB #21 in situations where midfielders (Skipp often) are looking for a pass in front of them, but only see a bank of 3 flat opposition midfielders with our players seemingly happy to be man marked out of being a viable passing option. Not coming and showing for the ball, occasionally making a run in behind as though Alderweireld is still in his prime pinging them on a sixpence over the top. Like this for example.

78Zenpcl6wMG.jpg

So what I'm trying to say is that Doherty is shit.

Great post.

Dele remains a goal threat in the 18 yard box and is very clever with his timing. We just need somebody who can play a bloody pass!

Great post.

Dele remains a goal threat in the 18 yard box and is very clever with his timing. We just need somebody who can play a bloody pass!
The sad thing is, I don't believe Dele would actually put those chances away with his confidence & form the past few YEARS - but a goal threat of sorts I would accept to describe him.

If anyone were to offer 25m+ I would take it. Tbh I really hoped that PSG loan move would have worked out last season.

It's true Dele would do better if his team mates offered him better service, but the service he offers his team mates is just as bad as what he receives.

We're just a bit shit unfortunately.

The sad thing is, I don't believe Dele would actually put those chances away with his confidence & form the past few YEARS - but a goal threat of sorts I would accept to describe him.

If anyone were to offer 25m+ I would take it. Tbh I really hoped that PSG loan move would have worked out last season.

It's true Dele would do better if his team mates offered him better service, but the service he offers his team mates is just as bad as what he receives.

We're just a bit shit unfortunately.
A deep lying playmaker might make a big difference. Not that we are linked with one.

best thing we can do for him and ourselves is to sell him, and lets face it we talk about a clear out but on current form we wouldnt get the kind of money old baldie would want, and who would want to buy rubbish anyway? funny old game Ncstle have better chance of signing better players than us, just goes to show for me regards players its not about loyalty, sport etc No its money, they would all play for the devil if the fee was right.

Honest question.... Seriously what happened to Dele?
That goal at Selhurst seems a LIFETIME ago, yet it was only a few years... Did he peak in THAT moment?
It seems like he achieved his lifetimes ambition by scoring a worldwide in the PL, and it's been downhill ever since!

He CLEARLY has ability (as does N'Dombele) it just seems to come down to application and desire... Can you TEACH that??

Back
Top Bottom