Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The reality is it's up to his teammates keep this up! He's always made these runs, just never been found.

Statistically, he did more or less the same as he has done when selected in other games recently.
1. Ran the same distance (a lot)
2. Put up the same pressing (pressure) numbers
3. Same number of intensity sprints
4. Made the same high volume of take-on's/dribbles
5. Same number of tackles

The difference is that his runs were actually picked out by his teammates. The team looked coached, knew he would run behind the oppo, there was no off the cuff stuff we've seen under the dinosaur. Players know what their roles and their teammate's roles are, these are coached attacking moves.

Finally have a proper manager at the helm.
It's also up to him to improve his finishing and passing.

He should have had a goal and an assist yesterday.

He made great runs but as you say he has prettt much always done that. He needs to deliver more quality now if he is to be a long term option.

He can’t let any of this go to his head, he must maintain focus and keep his head down. Personally I would love to see Dele back to his best but we are a long way from that point.

Like someone else mentioned, he indeed did have a fantastic first few games for Mourinho and look what happened after that.

Like Marcus Aurelius, Dele and Tanguy should have a member of the kit team persistently whispering in their ears whenever they play well ‘You are just a man this means nothing, stay focussed’.

It's also up to him to improve his finishing and passing.

He should have had a goal and an assist yesterday.

He made great runs but as you say he has prettt much always done that. He needs to deliver more quality now if he is to be a long term option.
This is his first start in the PL for how long!!??? Kane and Son are missing hat fulls and they have all the rhythm of playing almost every game!!

Also, he's NEVER been a great finisher, when he was scoring loads he was also shooting high volumes, so increasing the % of scoring from taking multiple shots in a game. He wasn't a clinical finisher with high shot conversion rates. That's Okay with me. But don't expect him to be something that he's not.

Like Conte said in the press conference, it comes down to consistency. Against the 2nd best team in the world Dele played an excellent match, against the worst ranked team in UEFA he played like utter dogshit.

Liverpool was one game, a game we didn't even win, not enough to make concrete decisions on the future of certain players. Dele has to play with the same intensity in every single minute he's on the pitch. Doesn't matter who we are playing or what competition it is.

Played well yesterday, fair play to him.

Seen this before though under Mourinho's first few games in charge, so lets see if he can maintain it.
This. I seem to remember him scoring a few goals in Mourinho first games. With Liverpool’s wing backs being up forward, it suited his game to get behind them. There’s no doubting he has that ability but to show it consistently is another and again, the team has to play a specific way to play to his strengths

He has regularly put in these shifts. I've posted numerous times in this thread to back that up, all the numbers were there.

The difference wasn't him, it was he was being found by teammates. Our attacks were planned, coached orchestrated attacks, something that hasn't existed for nearly THREE seasons now.

That's the difference. But maybe those who disagreed with me then could disagree with me now and tell me what the difference was precisely, I can compare his statistical numbers to then and this game and they are incredibly similar across the spectrum.
Part of that is fair but it doesn’t excuse his lack of effort or urgency to get back and either block or challenge. Distance covered doesn’t equal speed and intensity, just someone has jogged a lot. Players this fit should be able to run about all bloody day. I’m not half as fit as them and I can.

so yes, the formation and team may have not been optimal but either has his effort

He has regularly put in these shifts. I've posted numerous times in this thread to back that up, all the numbers were there.

The difference wasn't him, it was he was being found by teammates. Our attacks were planned, coached orchestrated attacks, something that hasn't existed for nearly THREE seasons now.

That's the difference. But maybe those who disagreed with me then could disagree with me now and tell me what the difference was precisely, I can compare his statistical numbers to then and this game and they are incredibly similar across the spectrum.
Shows how pointless stats can be at times. Doesn’t replace what you can see. Maybe that’s the problem with our recruitment, too focused on the numbers. Maybe they should watch a player from time to time

Dele is such a strange, unique, shit and wonderful footballer.

He's slow but can glide past people.

Technically average but capable of outrageous moments of skill.

Weak but can tower over a centre half and power a header in at the back post.

Never chosen for a set-piece, but provides imaginative assists that ‘better’ players would never spot

Doesn't strike the ball cleanly, but scores wonderful goals

All in all, I think Dele is a player with extraordinary imagination and bravery. It's this which enables him to produce so many wonderful moments whilst simultaneously also looking so bang average. Unfortunately, I think it's the bravery which has left him.. he's let fear seep into his game and he's a hundred times worse for it. I hope he gets it back.

Shows how pointless stats can be at times. Doesn’t replace what you can see. Maybe that’s the problem with our recruitment, too focused on the numbers. Maybe they should watch a player from time to time
No, it shows everyone hasn't got much of a clue. You can't rate his performance vs Liverpool if you didn't rate any previous games, they are almost exactly the same!!!!! The ONLY difference was players were looking for his runs and they found him. Dele was making these runs in behind against Mura, for instance, rewatch that game (you don't even have to do that, there's a video posted in here that shows him making those runs in behind but none of our players passed the fucking ball to him).

It really is that simple, it's hilarious no one fucking sees this.

What did you make of Dele Alli's performance on Sunday and does he still have a future under you?

I think Dele played a good game and I think he could have scored. He had chances to score but he played a good game. He was with his head on the pitch from the start to the end. I want to see this type of player. I know with the formation we played vs Liverpool, I helped him. Because he’s a midfielder and a No.8. A midfield with three players, I think this is his proper role.

He has to continue to show desire to stay here and to want to continue to deserve, especially, to stay here. The game against Liverpool I think has to be only a starting point. You can play well one game but I need to see continuity of performance. And I’d be the first person to be happy if we do with him this type of improvement.

England international Alli is officially up for grabs after being told he has no future at the club by Conte.

That revelation has prompted English rivals Newcastle to swoop in. TEAMtalk understands the Magpies have made initial enquiries over a switch to St James’ Park for the attacking midfielder.

This journo ain't got a scooby. He don't even know what official means.

Back
Top Bottom