Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

For a couple of good seasons? Sure he scored some great goals, we all remember them but it's a 5 minute highlight reel at best.

I think for some people he represents what could have been and so there exists a slightly rose-tinted view of his time here. He was at Spurs from 2015-2022 and his contributions after 2018 were pretty negligible.

I said the poch times.

Clearly this guy was too focused on the wrong spaces in evaluating dear Mr Alli. Had he been focused on the anti-spaces instead of those where the football was being played doubtless he'd have a difference opinion...

For a couple of good seasons? Sure he scored some great goals, we all remember them but it's a 5 minute highlight reel at best.

I think for some people he represents what could have been and so there exists a slightly rose-tinted view of his time here. He was at Spurs from 2015-2022 and his contributions after 2018 were pretty negligible.
He got to 50 goals quicker than lampard. Those first 3 years were sensational then he just lost the desire to play.

He got to 50 goals quicker than lampard. Those first 3 years were sensational then he just lost the desire to play.
He was always a moments player tho. Rarely ran a game. Played on the periphery, looked clumsy and uninvolved then boom, scored a header and back heeled Kane in or something. Agree he was sensational tho, such a quick, instinctive thinker

Clearly this guy was too focused on the wrong spaces in evaluating dear Mr Alli. Had he been focused on the anti-spaces instead of those where the football was being played doubtless he'd have a difference opinion...

Had they not watched him play for the last couple of years. He's one guy you don't want in your team, he doesn't fit in anywhere.

Tragic is the word but he did give us some great moments

Why did you disagree Todd?

Are you saying that he didn’t give us any great moments?

You really are a sad fuck

Usl Championship Soccer GIF by Oakland Roots SC

Why did you disagree Todd?
Because it's not tragic. He got out of his career more than his talent or work ethic warranted. He should be happy he got this far.

Are you saying that he didn’t give us any great moments?
Nope...but I am saying that you haven't!!!!:contepoint:

You really are a sad fuck
Well, that escalated quickly! Are you personally abusing me, Baz?

That looks like my friend Milton...

Any other questions, Baz?

He was always a moments player tho. Rarely ran a game. Played on the periphery, looked clumsy and uninvolved then boom, scored a header and back heeled Kane in or something. Agree he was sensational tho, such a quick, instinctive thinker
He never ran the show like Eriksen or Kane but this is selling him short. He used to really hard worker on the pitch. The famous Kane mask off goal happens in part thanks to Dele chasing down the "lost cause" ball at the corner.

There was that other famous Kane goal against Van Dijk at Southampton where Dele pokes the ball through to Kane, while nearly getting his legs broken by a reckless challenge.

There were loads of other times where he had a great influence on the game besides scoring/assisting.
He did become what you're talking about in Poch's final season.

EDIT: Actually, at their peak it was Kane > Eriksen > Dele >>>>> Son in terms of technique, vision, workrate. If you asked me 2017 who would have that "assist duo" stat, I'd have said Kane and Eriksen or Kane and Dele. Or even Kane and Trippier, before Kane and Son.

Last edited by a moderator:
He never ran the show like Eriksen or Kane but this is selling him short. He used to really hard worker on the pitch. The famous Kane mask off goal happens in part thanks to Dele chasing down the "lost cause" ball at the corner.

There was that other famous Kane goal against Van Dijk at Southampton where Dele pokes the ball through to Kane, while nearly getting his legs broken by a reckless challenge.

There were loads of other times where he had a great influence on the game besides scoring/assisting.
He did become what you're talking about in Poch's final season.

EDIT: Actually, at their peak it was Kane > Eriksen > Dele >>>>> Son in terms of technique, vision, workrate. If you asked me 2017 who would have that "assist duo" stat, I'd have said Kane and Eriksen or Kane and Dele. Or even Kane and Trippier, before Kane and Son.
That’s fair - still didn’t dictate games like Eriksen / Kane but yeah great energy. Agree with the VDV goal and I said that

My brother taught in and around Milton Keynes.

When asking colleagues who had taught him, Dele’s teachers described him as, “a massive bellend”, who thought he owned the place (because he was always going to be a footballer). This sort of description was given, to a man. Not a good word said.

The same appraisal was given of another couple of young gentlemen that were always going to be and went on to be footballers.

For me, I was happy we bought him as an emerging talent (before other clubs) and liked his contribution to Spurs but thoroughly disappointed in how it all ended.

When asking colleagues who had taught him, Dele’s teachers described him as, “a massive bellend”, who thought he owned the place (because he was always going to be a footballer). This sort of description was given, to a man. Not a good word said.

The same appraisal was given of another couple of young gentlemen that were always going to be and went on to be footballers.

For me, I was happy we bought him as an emerging talent (before other clubs) and liked his contribution to Spurs but thoroughly disappointed in how it all ended.
I know and love people who were always going to be professional footballers (1 did 2 lost at 23) and they were all bellends.

I know someone who was quite close to Bent growing up... Bent was a complete bellends

No real point other than Dele being a bellends isn't unique.

Crying shame how it's ended up

I know and love people who were always going to be professional footballers (1 did 2 lost at 23) and they were all bellends.

I know someone who was quite close to Bent growing up... Bent was a complete bellends

No real point other than Dele being a bellends isn't unique.

Crying shame how it's ended up
Well, yes. It seemed to be a common theme. There were two others, as I said in my post, exactly same appraisals.

Same thing said of Gazza apparently

Same thing said of Gazza apparently
Oh come onnnnnnn now!!!

Weirdly, if Dele isn't careful, I can see his post footballing career spiralling the same way as Gazza's...

Summits clearly gone wrong there... and it's not just down to his 'entourage'!!

My missus taught him at Junior school in MK. None of that character was seen at all. Sure a bit cheeky, but very popular with all and the centre of things. Clever and bright as well.

His upbringing and early years was not the best. I guess once he got into the football and it was clear he was a cut above, it all got to his head. This is where a stable and established family upbringing can bring someone back down to earth.. The fact he wanted to drop his surname completely shows how his early years had screwed with him.

Then the money comes along, the hangers on get involved, family come out of the woodwork and want a piece of the action. Not saying this is why it all that went wrong and I am sure many others have a similar start and don't go down the wrong path, but perhaps his inner character needed a strong family member who he respected and could point him in the right direction when it started to go wrong..

My missus taught him at Junior school in MK. None of that character was seen at all. Sure a bit cheeky, but very popular with all and the centre of things. Clever and bright as well.

His upbringing and early years was not the best. I guess once he got into the football and it was clear he was a cut above, it all got to his head. This is where a stable and established family upbringing can bring someone back down to earth.. The fact he wanted to drop his surname completely shows how his early years had screwed with him.

Then the money comes along, the hangers on get involved, family come out of the woodwork and want a piece of the action. Not saying this is why it all that went wrong and I am sure many others have a similar start and don't go down the wrong path, but perhaps his inner character needed a strong family member who he respected and could point him in the right direction when it started to go wrong..
My brother teaches secondary school, so he was relating tales of Dele when he was likely a 14 year old that just didn’t want to be there anymore. Where the 11 year old might have been a cheeky chappie, at 14, boys can be very different.

Your other points may be entirely correct. His family situation seems to have been less than ideal from all accounts. But it is interesting you mention the need for a strong family member that Dele would have respected. What I heard was that he didn’t respect anyone when he was at school. Again, if you are 14 and know football is around the corner…

Anyway, I wish he’d have kept up the form of his earlier seasons post Pochettino, but alas, it seems not to be.

Back
Top Bottom