Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

DaHQP6jW0AA4eT8.jpg

Love this one.

ESPN.

Tottenham midfielder Dele Alli said he feels he proved at Stoke that he has got better at ignoring provocation and shrugging off rough treatment.

Alli, 21, has sometimes struggled to keep his cool in the past. He was retrospectively banned for punching West Bromwich Albion's Claudio Yacob in the stomach in April 2016, and he was sent off for an ugly tackle on Gent's Brecht Dejaegere in February 2017.

Alli's temperament was tested by Stoke centre-back Ryan Shawcross in the early stages of Saturday's match -- one challenge left the youngster hobbling slightly. However, the Spurs midfielder refused to be wound up and went on to set up Christian Eriksen's opening goal in the 2-1 victory.

"I've been trying to improve a lot of aspects of my game and I wanted to keep my head," Alli said. "When the first tackle from Shawcross came in, I knew straight away what he was trying to do with it.

"He's a nice guy and that's the sort of player he is -- he's an aggressive player -- so I didn't want to react to him. I played my own game and I was really happy with the result."

GIF_image_22.gif

Last edited:
ESPN.

Tottenham midfielder Dele Alli said he feels he proved at Stoke that he has got better at ignoring provocation and shrugging off rough treatment.

Alli, 21, has sometimes struggled to keep his cool in the past. He was retrospectively banned for punching West Bromwich Albion's Claudio Yacob in the stomach in April 2016, and he was sent off for an ugly tackle on Gent's Brecht Dejaegere in February 2017.

Alli's temperament was tested by Stoke centre-back Ryan Shawcross in the early stages of Saturday's match -- one challenge left the youngster hobbling slightly. However, the Spurs midfielder refused to be wound up and went on to set up Christian Eriksen's opening goal in the 2-1 victory.

"I've been trying to improve a lot of aspects of my game and I wanted to keep my head," Alli said. "When the first tackle from Shawcross came in, I knew straight away what he was trying to do with it.

"He's a nice guy and that's the sort of player he is -- he's an aggressive player -- so I didn't want to react to him. I played my own game and I was really happy with the result."

I do love it as well when the media write about him and his temperament that they have to point to the Yacob punch and a late tackle as him having a bad temperament. I mean is that it? Meanwhile Aguero has had 3 red cards, a retrospective ban for throwing an elbow to the face of Ried and Granit Xhaka's 6 red cards. Odd.

Last edited:
I do love it as well when the media write about him and his temperament that they have it point to the Yacob punch and a late tackle as him having a bad temperament. I mean is that it? Meanwhile Aguero has had 3 red cards, a retrospective ban for throwing an elbow to the face of Ried and Granit Xhaka's 6 red cards. Odd.

Well they know it’s a talking point so it’s nice to see something positive for once, however brief.

Hes hitting top form right when we need it most. Has played extremely well lately overall. Its easy to forget hes only 21 and could be argued is still the "top young prospect" in world football! I'm really proud of the way hes ended up handling this diving controversy- seems to have taken the higher road and looks a bigger and more mature man for it. It's a bizarre notion that Southgate rates Lingard above him in the national side, but seems to be inspring Dele towards even better club performances. Unbelievable that we get to watch him every week!

Another positive of Dele this season is his temperament has markedly improved. A year or two ago he clearly got annoyed by innocuous challenges and looked likely to react. Now he just laughs them off.

Back
Top Bottom