Destiny Udogie

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It’s almost like if you allow players to shoot low into the corner with defenders screening the keeper, it’s not an easy save.

Defenders blocking the center of the goal provides no value - the keeper will save almost all shots in the center. On any low quality chance, the defenders should not prioritize blocking a shot but are supposed to take away posts to make the goal smaller for the keeper.

on open shots, a keeper has to defend post to post. But when defenders are involved and have an opportunity to block a shot, the defender should be taking away a post. Let’s say near post is taken away. This changes the keepers positioning as he now only has to worry about the far post and maybe 2 yards inside the near post as the defender is able to block away much of the near past. some may say the keeper can cheat far post but really it’s just changing positioning as the goal is now smaller. It makes saving a far post shot much easier. A defender blocking the far post is similar but a bit less common.

What you absolutely don’t want is a defender directly behind the ball and taking a similar angle as the keeper - now he’s taking away neither post and probably blocking the keepers view. The keeper can’t change the angle as both corners are shooting options. This is how some keepers end up screened or what seems like flat footed.

Similarly you don’t want a defender reaching out to block a shot and having it go through his legs near post. You see a lot of goals this way where he’d be better off taking away the near post and letting the keeper do his job.

These shots I’m talking about are low or medium quality chances -usually from distance. Obviously high quality chances from close in you’ll see defenders throwing themselves at the ball because a block is far more important than taking away a post here - since the keeper probably won’t save everything in the middle of the goal from close range.

This is why it annoys the piss out of me to see CBs continuing to back off into the box rather than engage the attacker from a 15-18 yard threshold.

Last edited:
It’s almost like if you allow players to shoot low into the corner with defenders screening the keeper, it’s not an easy save.

Defenders blocking the center of the goal provides no value - the keeper will save almost all shots in the center. On any low quality chance, the defenders should not prioritize blocking a shot but are supposed to take away posts to make the goal smaller for the keeper.

on open shots, a keeper has to defend post to post. But when defenders are involved and have an opportunity to block a shot, the defender should be taking away a post. Let’s say near post is taken away. This changes the keepers positioning as he now only has to worry about the far post and maybe 2 yards inside the near post as the defender is able to block away much of the near past. some may say the keeper can cheat far post but really it’s just changing positioning as the goal is now smaller. It makes saving a far post shot much easier. A defender blocking the far post is similar but a bit less common.

What you absolutely don’t want is a defender directly behind the ball and taking a similar angle as the keeper - now he’s taking away neither post and probably blocking the keepers view. The keeper can’t change the angle as both corners are shooting options. This is how some keepers end up screened or what seems like flat footed.

Similarly you don’t want a defender reaching out to block a shot and having it go through his legs near post. You see a lot of goals this way where he’d be better off taking away the near post and letting the keeper do his job.

These shots I’m talking about are low or medium quality chances -usually from distance. Obviously high quality chances from close in you’ll see defenders throwing themselves at the ball because a block is far more important than taking away a post here - since the keeper probably won’t save everything in the middle of the goal from close range.

The simple fact is this. Forster showed very poor technique for the first (leaning right for a player running across him), was extremely slow to react for the third when he reall had no excuses for being unsighted and the 4th was again a very slow reaction.

Part of goalkeeping is anticipation, Forster was so flat footed it was embarrassing.

The simple fact is this. Forster showed very poor technique for the first (leaning right for a player running across him), was extremely slow to react for the third when he reall had no excuses for being unsighted and the 4th was again a very slow reaction.

Part of goalkeeping is anticipation, Forster was so flat footed it was embarrassing.
How in gods name are you blaming the 1st on Forster? No one gets that. He’s leaning right so he can see the ball and not just look into perisic’s ass.

Shows large bias if you can fault him for the 1st goal. No keeper is getting that.

It's not even a fucking joke, the amount of times I've seen a player look fucking class in another teams shirt, to then come to Spurs and lack even the most basic of technical skills...

You have to wonder what we are doing to them in our World Class Facility™???
We teach them automations and take all of their creativity out of their game.

:contefacepalm:

It's not even a fucking joke, the amount of times I've seen a player look fucking class in another teams shirt, to then come to Spurs and lack even the most basic of technical skills...

You have to wonder what we are doing to them in our World Class Facility™???

i'd say that's a very recent thing, the club has had no real consistant playing vision and secure manager since the champions league final season

will be anoher change of system and coaches in the summer for players to adapt to, we havent signed anywhat to slot into an already well oiled machine in a while now.
just trying to plug holes in wobbly ship

How in gods name are you blaming the 1st on Forster? No one gets that. He’s leaning right so he can see the ball and not just look into perisic’s ass.

Shows large bias if you can fault him for the 1st goal. No keeper is getting that.
Or it shows a knowledge of goalkeeping that it's practically impossible for a player running left to right to hit a powerful shot back to the lrft. If he had used his feet and got the proper view, to his left it would have been much easier for him.

He's fucking big, he's fucking old, and he's fucking rusty...

I can't believe people have been taken by surprise at his performance, ludicrous to point to a good performance for Celtic against Barca over a decade ago as some sort of evidence that we will be fine in Hugo's absence...

Gazzaniga, Hart, Gollini, Forster...

How the fuck have we been so bad at identifying a suitable back up for so many years.

Hart/Forster are the worst examples of our terrible recruitment there, former Number 1s who lost their edge due to age and were never going to get it back. With Gazzaniga and Gollini at least you could expect that they would improve with experience, except they were nowhere near good enough to get that experience with us, so equally baffling in a different sense.

I swear we only signed Gollini because we thought he was going to class as HG due to his time at Utd.

Or it shows a knowledge of goalkeeping that it's practically impossible for a player running left to right to hit a powerful shot back to the lrft. If he had used his feet and got the proper view, to his left it would have been much easier for him.
He’d have been practically standing on the near post at that point which would be ridiculous.

It’s true the way Mendy approaches the ball, it is more likely to have power near post than far but if he overcommits to the near post then Mendy doesn’t need power far post and even a mishit can go in. Easy to say in hindsight he should stand on the near post because we actually know that’s where the shot went… but you will get burned more often that not by this in the long run.

Perisic doesn’t close the near post at the right angle (tbf it was a fast play and difficult shot) and makes that shot even possible.

There’s absolutely no way a keeper is getting to the near post there based on where perisic angle is.

This goal really isn’t even worth discussing; it was a banger and those happen. They’ll happen more often to any teams that give up lots of low quality chances like we do because eventually some will go in.

Btw I played professional keeper.

i'd say that's a very recent thing, the club has had no real consistant playing vision and secure manager since the champions league final season

will be anoher change of system and coaches in the summer for players to adapt to, we havent signed anywhat to slot into an already well oiled machine in a while now.
just trying to plug holes in wobbly ship
If there is a strong feeling within the club that Conte won't be here following the end of this season (and I mean from Conte's side here too) then I think it's ridiculous to carry on as we are.

We will yet again be sacrificing a huge chunk of season just going through the motions with nobody's heart in it, and the man that we're 80% sure will be taking over just sat at home twiddling his thumbs.

It wouldn't necessarily be my first choice, but if Poch is going to end up back in the hotseat in the summer then bite the bullet and do it now, he can have the rest of this season to start drilling the players in his own style and we may even get to witness some decent football before the Summer hols too... Though I wouldn't bank on it, as his first few months last time round weren't exactly thrilling stuff.

If there is a strong feeling within the club that Conte won't be here following the end of this season (and I mean from Conte's side here too) then I think it's ridiculous to carry on as we are.

We will yet again be sacrificing a huge chunk of season just going through the motions with nobody's heart in it, and the man that we're 80% sure will be taking over just sat at home twiddling his thumbs.

It wouldn't necessarily be my first choice, but if Poch is going to end up back in the hotseat in the summer then bite the bullet and do it now, he can have the rest of this season to start drilling the players in his own style and we may even get to witness some decent football before the Summer hols too... Though I wouldn't bank on it, as his first few months last time round weren't exactly thrilling stuff.

think these a couple of big things stoping him from walking away, and from levy sacking him off.
were still in very much in with a chance at 3 competitions. Especially the cups, levy probably loathes to make the same mistake again sacking an expericed winning manager with things still to play for. And Conte probably wouldnt want to leave a club deep in the FA Cup or CL

Amd also his contract is done in the summer, sack him now and the club pays out a ton of money so he can put his feet up in Italy , that probably bites a little to hard for levy

Last edited:
think these a couple of big things stoping him from walking away, and from levy sacking him off.
were still in very much in with a chance at 3 competitions. Especially the cups, levy probably loathes to make the same mistake again sacking an expericed winning manager with things still to play for

Amd also his contract is done in the summer, sack him now and the club pays out a ton of money so he can put his feet up in Italy , that probably bites a little to hard for levy
The first point would make sense if he didn't look so bloody lifeless and disinterested on the sideline, yeah when we win he gives it the chest thumping business, but when we're down there's just nothing. It's the last thing I thought we would see from him, and that's when we need some fire the most!

Second point, for all the criticism of penny pinching, Levy has never seemed shy about paying out Manager compensation. Conte's with only a few months left of his deal would likely be less than Nuno's wouldn't it?

But yeah, clearly there is something holding both sides back from pushing the red button, I'm just not convinced that whatever that is is a good enough reason, still much to play for this season and it seems to me that we're going to bumble through and probably make a hash of it on all fronts. With things as bleak as they look now I can honestly see us exiting both cup competitions at this round of fixtures, and blowing the top 4 race even though I think those above us will drop plenty of points between now and season's end.

Hart/Forster are the worst examples of our terrible recruitment there, former Number 1s who lost their edge due to age and were never going to get it back.

Poor squad management. These guys are employed solely because they’re homegrown. Hire a foreign reserve keeper and we send another foreign player out on loan.
One of our biggest problems is that few of our homegrown players are truly serviceable for a UCL-competing club. We are going to pay through the nose for guys like Gordon and Guehi - let alone Maddison — because we’ve been unable to develop our own.

Without making careless errors, Lloris had the agility and instinct to have saved at least 2 of those goals.

If he's not shipped out on loan again next season he needs to start for us.

He looks like he could be a phenomenal player. If Conte gave him the Spence treatment and stuck him on the bench it'd waste a real talent. I'd rather him stay in Serie A for another year than rot on our bench collecting dust.

I feel like he's the type of player than a manager like Poch would work wonders with.

Back
Top Bottom