Dilan Markanday

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I know he won't be good enough because of the following:

1) Law of averages - most kids aren't.
2) He hasn't been given a chance because all the people at the club who actually know him haven't felt the need to give him a chance
3) Fans on forums are the worst scouts in the world.

I know that this isn't the thread for this, but regarding that third point, I can't totally agree. If you had a look through that "Players worth keeping an eye on at other clubs" thread and signed almost any random collection from there it would be far better than what we've endured over the last 4-5 years with Spurs.

That doesn't mean that Markanday turns out to be something amazing, but let's not pretend that our scouting has been anything to write home about either.

I’m disappointed to see Dilan go, but I wish him well. I think he should have been sent out on loan this season to get regular matches under his belt in the mens game. That would have given us a better idea on whether he could break through to our first team whilst also potentially increasing his value if we felt he wasn’t good enough.
I can’t help thinking the club is mishandling the youth setup. The best of them need to be playing regular mens football either with us or out on loan. If we don’t think they’re good enough for the Prem we need to be doing what we can to maximise their sale value rather than letting them stroll around with the U23s.
You can't put a gun to their heads and make them sign a contract though...Maybe he wanted to build his own career and not get shipped out 6 months here and 6 months there...

It just seems to me that no matter what the outcome of this there would have been people that would have found reasons to put the boot in...the irony is that if we were truly a mid table team we could have given the lad a lot more opportunities in the league but as we are more ambitious and are chasing top four these lads have to be exceptional to get a run and those that manage it still get fucking grief...

Would love to be wrong but having seen just how tiny this fella is (as in like, makes Harry Winks look like The Rock) I would be extremely surprised if he could handle the physicality required at the PL level.

He’s not quick enough at this level. He came on as sub and got skinned for pace by some clogger. (Can’t be bothered to look back and see who it was.) Small and slow. Very very rarely a winning combination.

Fair do’s.

Probably was a bit judgemental on the very little I have seen of him. Just giving my take as I see it now. But as with every player I do down if they prove me wrong I’ll admit and be happy that they have done so. Only an idiot sticks with an opinion in the light of new evidence.

In any case we can all hope the lad comes good.

I think the point here isn't how wonderfully pliable your opinions are; it's simply needlessly premature to be casting opinions over young 'kids' after their first 10 minutes or so of senior football. It's bad enough when brand new senior players get written of by the arm-chair pundits after 1 game (see Emerson)......

People need to curb their desperate desire to make judgement calls over players or other similar matters. Despite what many of the twitter-atti have convinced themselves, there's no prizes or meaningful kudos to be found by being the first to 'call it' regarding someone or something's failure.

Let shit breath.

Last edited:

ON THE MARK

Tottenham kid Dilan Markanday is the first British Asian to play for Spurs and wants to play for the club for 15 years​

• 14:46, 2 Dec 2021
  • Updated: 14:57, 2 Dec 2021
IF Antonio Conte is looking for goals from wide players, he may find it in dynamic winger Dilan Markanday.

The 20-year-old youth star has been a revelation in Tottenham's U23 side this season, scoring 11 times in 12 games, as well as providing four assists.

Back in October, he was rewarded for his fine form with a first team debut in the Europa League Conference against Vitesse Arnhem and became the first British Asian to play for the North London side.

Weeks later, he was named October Player of the Month in the Premier League 2 - having been nominated twice before.

Markanday just has six months left to run on his current deal, and has been linked with a move away from the club.

However, he has revealed that he hopes to play for the club he loves for the next 15 years.

ONE CLUB MAN​

Markanday, who is of Indian heritage and was born and raised in Barnet, joined Spurs when he was just 11.

He is looking to be a pioneer for Asian footballers, who he hopes will follow in his footsteps.

The promising talent is also desperate to fulfil his potential with the club, and stay there for the duration of his football career.

"It was a proud moment being the first British Asian, it is obviously great," he said.

"I hope more and more come through and I am the first of many.

"I hope that lots of British Asians make that step, believe in themselves, back themselves and can come through and show what they can do.

"I hope they all see it and like it and are inspired by it, I hope they keep supporting me, following me and hopefully one of those watching will go on and do it themselves.

"The dream is to play for Tottenham for the next 15 years, playing every game, but obviously I know things might not work out and there are going to be ups and downs."

ROLE MODELS​

Watching Markanday in action, you can see glimpses of his idols in his game.

He looks up to stars like Riyad Mahrez and Mohamed Salah, while Lionel Messi is an obvious hero.

But with all the hype about his ethnicity and being a trailblazer, he has made it clear that he won't put extra pressure on himself to succeed and be a flag bearer for British Asian players.

"I have been aware of it on social media, people supporting me, following me and following my journey," Markanday revealed.

"I try not to let it affect my football, I try not to put pressure on myself to think I have to do it for other people.

"I am doing it for myself and along the way I hope to inspire other people that anything is possible.

"I have always been aware that the numbers haven't been as much as anyone wanted them to be, but it is all about believing in yourself.

"All my family have been so supportive of me, taking that step, leaving school and trying to do football full-time.

"They have always supported me. Of course there are always going to be people who doubt you and say you shouldn't have done that, but it is all about me and believing in myself and hopefully I can prove anyone who has doubted me wrong and I can keep going."

WILL HE GROW AT SPURS?​

While Markanday has already made his plans clear for a long haul in North London, his future at the club is in the air.

With Conte preferring his rigid 3-4-3 formation with wing backs, he might need to master a more defensive position.

He did deputise as a left-back for the U23's, however, that does take away one of his many attributes - being a goalscoring threat.

Because of his need for first team football experience, Markanday has been linked with a loan move in January, with clubs including Bournemouth, QPR, Stoke and Nottingham Forest reportedly registering their interest.

However, with just six months left on his contract there is a chance Tottenham could lose the wonderkid for free in the summer.

A new deal is on the table, but he is yet to put pen to paper.

Time will tell whether Spurs will regret not signing him up sooner.

Never quite got what happened here. He was clearly identified by several managers as having potential, I think Jose even ostensibly marked him, but in the end didn’t see any real playing time.

Embarrassing from the club. He should have 100% been given a chance in the first team. More shit management of our youth.

Was he good enough though?

Heard so many things about this guy but he was never picked by either Nuno or Conte.

At least with KWP, Caroll, Edwards - they saw some game time, even Alfie Devine and Ben White have played competetive for Spurs.

Back
Top Bottom