Director of Football

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Two of my closest friends are die hard Barcelona supporters and they think his transfers are crap, didn’t like Raphinha Kounde or Torres, also say he’s bad at selling players (have a look at their bloated squad). though perhaps that’s Deco who’s mostly in control.
Well barca fans I know are perfectly fine with the way he handled the club's transfers the last two years so..

Two of my closest friends are die hard Barcelona supporters and they think his transfers are crap, didn’t like Raphinha Kounde or Torres, also say he’s bad at selling players (have a look at their bloated squad). though perhaps that’s Deco who’s mostly in control.

Tbh I think Gabbanini has earned his shout. Seems Levy wants a big-name operator like this guy and Paratici before.

Barca did win La Liga under his watch after Real domincance

Tbh I think Gabbanini has earned his shout. Seems Levy wants a big-name operator like this guy and Paratici before.

Barca did win La Liga under his watch after Real domincance

To me ideal would be:

+ Ange wielding big influence (he clearly prefers to be hands on).
+ Gabb - As is.....
+ Some new contract supremo
+ Levy sets the budget and then keeps his nose out.

Basically, this summer, but replace Levy.

LOL

Brings Ansu Fati with him...

Who says no?

Lets get rid of one Fatty our before we get another!!

Kenny Powers Finger Guns GIF by MOODMAN

Big money deals & deals where Barca wield extreme name value.

Not Spurs's M.O.
I can see your point and I am not saying he's the right man for Spurs ( neither of us really know much about him anyway) but there haven't been many glamorous signings during his time at Barca. Lewandowski and Jules Koundé were the closest to glamorous signings during his time but neither can be seen as the top-glamour signings Barca used to get.
These are the players signed by Barca during his time and there is nothing extra-ordinary about them really:
Marcos Alonso,
Jules Koundé, Andreas Christensen, Eric Garcia,
Dani Alves,
Franck Kessie, İlkay Gündoğan
Memphis Depay, Adama Traore (loan deal), Ferran Torres,
Robert Lewandowski, Luuk de Jong,
Raphinha

Besides, being a DoF involved much more than signing new players for the 1st team.

Last edited:
He's more a company man than a talent spotter, he's been a director at various clubs.

Background in finance.
Plus Barca are constantly having talented young players recommended to them, and experienced players offered by agents.

They have so many people in their recruitment / scouting setup that it's near impossible to know who is really talented, and who is - in your phrase - a "company man".

Watching the Messi documentary, he was signed at the age of 10 because Barca agreed to pay for his growth hormone treament which River Plate declined to do. Legend has it the actual deal was signed on a paper napkin by Barca's representative in Argentina.

Andre Onana arrived at La Masia via Samuel Eto'o's academy in Cameroon. Barca then let him move to Ajax when he was 19, allowing a top player to escape.

My point is that Barca is a very different club from Spurs, in terms of the sheer size of their scouting / feeder network, and supposedly the best youth academy in the world to develop a wealth of talent.

They also agree ridiculous salaries, & presumably ludicrous agent fees, way above what Levy would countenance.

See the curious case of the £200k per week CB Clement Lenglet.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom