Djed Spence

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Well if Doherty and spence can't play and all we are left with is fn Emerson then we better be selling some rwb in Jan and buying some new ones because, if totally honest, Emerson has to be one of the worst players I've ever seen. Ever noticed him showboating 30 yards out with nobody near him - sunday league impressive..... Wooooo

We need to start buying sound technical players, who have the right attitude and work ethic and have a high degree of football intelligence. The boxes need to be ticked. We keep ending up with 2 out of 3 criteria players who either give the ball away, get sent off or fail to read the game - in Emerson's case it's all three... Sometimes all in one go.

An absolute shambles we still go into the season with Doherty and Royal as our RWB’s. Both not good enough. Spence won’t be playing anytime soon judging by Conte’s comments. Really pissed off about it actually.
I'll respect what Conte says for now, but it sure seems strange to try and understand how Spence could be any worse than Emerson.

Some of Emersons off the ball runs even seem counter-productive, reducing space for our other attackers, like at 45:15 1H v Arse w/Richy- just awful- like youth football! 41:45 was a fun blooper too although it seems like he got fouled by Martinelli, which that fraud Taylor did nothing about.

Well if Doherty and spence can't play and all we are left with is fn Emerson then we better be selling some rwb in Jan and buying some new ones because, if totally honest, Emerson has to be one of the worst players I've ever seen. Ever noticed him showboating 30 yards out with nobody near him - sunday league impressive..... Wooooo

We need to start buying sound technical players, who have the right attitude and work ethic and have a high degree of football intelligence. The boxes need to be ticked. We keep ending up with 2 out of 3 criteria players who either give the ball away, get sent off or fail to read the game - in Emerson's case it's all three... Sometimes all in one go.
Why exactly did we buy Emerson anyways? Was Levy just super desperate to try and loot something off Barca in their moment of weakness?

Loads of fans wanted Joe Rodon to play yet three managers didn’t fancy him. They see more of the players than we do. Sometimes you just have to trust them.
I would say there is a difference in that and the RWB position.

1. Our CBs were never as bad as fans like to make them out to be.
2. Rodon played in cups and Europa league and looked average at best most games.
3. Doherty was good up until his injury last year
4. Emerson plays every game and is awful
5. Spence was fantastic all last year and at least deserves a shot.

I have not posted because I was actually at that shit show. I've been waiting till my rage abated. It could be weeks so here I am. I'm not going to lie to you lads, the last 23 mins of that game will stay with me for a long time. In a word I felt one thing. HUMILIATION.

It was in some ways worse than the Nuno game there because that was emblematic of a man out of his depth. Saturday was worse because even if the plan our manager wanted to execute had worked....it was frankly cowardly.

I'm sure we will be fine and everything but I'm already at the point of do the ends justify the means? Keith Burkinshaw Martin Jol, Harry Redknapp, Pochettino. The idea of DNA maybe bull shit but these men made me love my club. I'm not sure I can just sacrifice that . Goodnight all.
This is the general feeling of most fans that regularly go to away games.

We all walked away with the same feeling against sporting Lisbon.

I say this to a lot people. Its very interesting to hear opinions from fans. Those who don't go to games have very different opinions to those who go to home games and they have different opinions to those who regularly go away. Not saying anybody is right but it's interesting for me as I read posts on here and go to home and away games, and everyone says something different.

Full quote on Spence below. Damned with faint praise I fear.

Conte on Djed Spence​

The fans have to be fans. The fans is the fans, I understand they can think everything but I see every day what happens during the training session. I try to do the best for the team. If they trust me, then they trust me, but the choices are mine. If I didn't decide to pick one player it's maybe because he's not ready.

We are talking about a young player with a good prospect, but I repeat I try to pick the best team. Also Doherty last season played every game. Now I’m not seeing him in the right way to start the game. I'm not stupid, I don't want to lose. I try to put the best team, to pick the best team. If they trust me it's ok, if they don't trust me then I'm the coach and I need to take the best decision for Tottenham.
Damning Statement.

This is the proof for me that our transfer business has not been thought out very well.

When Conte arrived and started playing wingbacks, I said the most important position to fix is RWB.

We didn't address it in the January window.
We didn't address it in the summer window.

We are now left with 3 players who aren't good enough to play a position that is central to the way the manager wants to play. 2 of those three manager doesn't trust and the one he does isn't good enough. I'm sorry but this is a failure on the part of the manager and Paratici.

The Spence signing now stinks of desperation to appease fans by saying look we bought a RWB. The irony is that the player has the potential to be our best option in that position and the manager doesn't trust him. If the manager thinks this given the performances of Emerson and Doherty before him then I'm afraid to say we are in deep shit.

Conte might actually learn more about spence if he throws him in. I can guarantee the fans will actually be supportive of him getting a go, even if he did make a mistake.

Playing Emerson over and over again reminds me of the definition of madness which is expecting a different result when you've clearly seen multiple times that the guy isn't good enough for this level of football.

Thing is gang, Conte's not a moron, Maybe Spence is very raw and will need time to fully understand what Conte wants of him.

he's not omitting him out of spite.
Which is what? Sane as royal being utter shite! Can’t believe he sees in royalS performances something that is even remotely better than what he sees in spence in training. I though royal would have been dropped after the shit show v Lisbon . That “ cross” in the 2nd half was diabolical. He then conceded a stupid yellow. Which meant he couldn’t challenge when they countered for the first goal I think. How he kept his place after that god knows. Ok he didn’t start v lester but then still cane on instead of Doh or DJ. How are these two meant to get any match fitness and confidence if they can’t even get some minutes v lester 6-2 up?!

Damning Statement.

This is the proof for me that our transfer business has not been thought out very well.

When Conte arrived and started playing wingbacks, I said the most important position to fix is RWB.

We didn't address it in the January window.
We didn't address it in the summer window.

We are now left with 3 players who aren't good enough to play a position that is central to the way the manager wants to play. 2 of those three manager doesn't trust and the one he does isn't good enough. I'm sorry but this is a failure on the part of the manager and Paratici.

The Spence signing now stinks of desperation to appease fans by saying look we bought a RWB. The irony is that the player has the potential to be our best option in that position and the manager doesn't trust him. If the manager thinks this given the performances of Emerson and Doherty before him then I'm afraid to say we are in deep shit.

Conte might actually learn more about spence if he throws him in. I can guarantee the fans will actually be supportive of him getting a go, even if he did make a mistake.

Playing Emerson over and over again reminds me of the definition of madness which is expecting a different result when you've clearly seen multiple times that the guy isn't good enough for this level of football.
Top post.

We “didn’t address” the RB problem bc there were no good options on the market. We cannot go pay 70 million for a Cancelo level player. Anyone else we would’ve gone for would be no better than Doherty or Emerson.

Can almost see the script.
He is going to loan out Spence in Jan to get the fans off his back, Spence ends up doing a Saliba at the new club while Spurs have a meh season and then comes back next season that he is "ready".

Wasting a season just for ego

Yep. He distanced himself from the signing from the outset.

Better to sign players the manager actually wants, rather than sign players solely for potential resale value.
Never understood a board buying players the manager hasn't asked for. If the manager isn't making those decisions then wtf are we paying him.for? I know there are some managers who would have demands that the.club couldn't fulfil but in this case, they should listen otherwise why pay him so much money?

We “didn’t address” the RB problem bc there were no good options on the market. We cannot go pay 70 million for a Cancelo level player. Anyone else we would’ve gone for would be no better than Doherty or Emerson.
Isn't that where scouting.comes from? Where's our scouts unearthing a lower league gem such as Andy Robertson? There never seems to be any sign of that shit happening.

Never understood a board buying players the manager hasn't asked for. If the manager isn't making those decisions then wtf are we paying him.for? I know there are some managers who would have demands that the.club couldn't fulfil but in this case, they should listen otherwise why pay him so much money?

Coaching?
Tactics?
Strategy?
Man management/motivation?
Team selection?
Match-day (team talks, substitutions and in-game management)?
Press duties?
etc.
etc.

Guardiola: “I never buy the players. I never sell the players. It is not my money. It is the club's. The hierarchy is so important. They know the type of players and the way we want to play."

Not too sperate from this is Klopp's own admission that he in-fact didn't want to sign Salah and them doing so was down to their recruitment team.

In the same vein; last season we hired a DOF and our recruitment has taken a turn for the better.

In the modern game managers don't have the time to be scouts. However, none of this is to say that in a modern structure, the manager doesn't still have influence.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Spence was scouted and signed on the basis that our DOF deemed him to fit the bill of the kind of WB we required; not cos Levy and "the accountants" thought it would be a money-spinner.

Ali Gold: "it was Fabio Paratici who drove Tottenham’s pursuit of Spence, having watched the right-back closely during his loan spell at Nottingham Forest last season."

Conte: "The club wanted to do it..... I said ‘OK,"

Isn't that where scouting.comes from? Where's our scouts unearthing a lower league gem such as Andy Robertson?

Andy Robertson was signed from Hull the season they got relegated from the EPL.... He wasn't plucked from the "lower leagues".

Around the same time we signed Trippier from Burnley; who fits the exact same mold as Robertson.

There never seems to be any sign of that shit happening.

On the contrary; in recent seasons we've signed 2 'hot' young FBs from the champo.

This summer, we also just signed another young, highly rated LB from Italy; not unlike we did for Jose 2 years ago......

More broadly, we've also signed Gil & Sarr, but whenever we make such signings we get the same dweebs spinning the same conspiracy theories about them being unwanted Levy signings with no other consideration beyond selling them on for a profit.

Coming back to your orignal question about why managers don't exclusively drive the recrtuiment process? ......If you want undiscovered rough diamonds (something you've just bemoaned us not doing), then you can't realistically expect the manager to be the one to unearth them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom