Djed Spence

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

not funny tbh and somewhat racist.
Why is it?
Why is it racist to say 2 black guys that look a bit alike, you know, look a bit alike?
A lot of people look alike. Black, white, Indian etc. It's not uncommon at all.

It's racist to say all black people look the same.
It's not at all racist to suggest 2 black guys with similar heights build, skin tone, hair style etc look similar.

Why is it?
Why is it racist to say 2 black guys that look a bit alike, you know, look a bit alike?

It's not at all racist to suggest 2 black guys with similar heights build, skin tone, hair style etc look similar.
It's not racist perse it's just problematic. Because the "all yall look alike" trope used to be very common among genuine bigots. So no matter how well intended white folk coming along going....but but but you two guys do look alike. Well it's just tone deaf. This is how it was explained to me.

It's not racist perse it's just problematic. Because the "all yall look alike" trope used to be very common among genuine bigots. So no matter how well intended white folk coming along going....but but but you two guys do look alike. Well it's just tone deaf. This is how it was explained to me.
Tone deaf is a good way of putting it. I don't think there was any genuine racist intent.

Words don't mean anything without intent. We shouldn't be policing people for using words if it's clear the intent to offend isn't there.

One step away from fascism.
See my yellow card for details , make a joke, get accused of a hate crime by the board policeman and bingo, you're on a yellow

Words don't mean anything without intent. We shouldn't be policing people for using words if it's clear the intent to offend isn't there.

One step away from fascism.
First sentence is EXACTLY the point. At some point a group of people decided they didn’t need to bother understanding peoples intent, instead they could read the worst intentions into peoples words, take offense, and then expect everyone to care about their uncharitable drama.

🤷‍♂️😄

Why is it?

did you even read the post I responded to???

he jokingly asked if I'm saying "a lot" of black people look alike and yes that's racist.

Slow panning of the changing room with a close up of boots being laced up

Slow motion video of a player walking out onto the pitch

Camera pans around the stadium

Cuts to the golden cockerel

Arty shot of the ball hitting the net

Fades to black

Text across the screen...

"Welcome Djed Spence...?"

Fades to black leaving just the question mark.

did you even read the post I responded to???

he jokingly asked if I'm saying "a lot" of black people look alike and yes that's racist.

But did you even understand the post you responded to ?

Your comment read 'NOT ALL black people look the same'

His reply was 'so you're saying a LOT do?'.

This to me sounded more like a wry response to your sloppy use of language. I'm sure you meant: 'Black people don't ALL look the same' .

The joke being that your comment could in itself be construed as casual racism by someone looking to be offended, although I'm sure that wasn't your intention.

Context . Intent .

Last edited:
I only it’s a 16 min you tube compilation but he looks far better as an attacking WB than anyone we have. Great at going past players from a standing one on one position which we really need. Apart from Lucas no one else tries to take on players unless they run in behind or have space. Also looks a big lad so won’t get pushed about. He could be a great assets.
Caveat it’s only you tube vid showing the upside but that is far better than any upside of royal or Doh.

Why is it?

There's a study which indicates people find it harder to identify faces from different ethnic / racial backgrounds compared with their own. Even though someone isn't intending to be racist, there's perhaps an unconscious bias at play which it's good to try and be aware of. I agree it's not necessarily racist to say two people with similar traits look alike. That's self-evident. The problem stems from when our brains then attribute certain patterns / behaviours / norms and values to those we group as same or similar to each other.

Could see Doh starting against Southampton and Emmerson against the Chavs but Spence coming on at 60/70mins in both and being a useful tool against tiring legs.

Obviously all subject to how the match is going but was discussing with a mate yesterday whether, having missed the tour, we might wait a little longer for Conte to start him.

I do understand that but it shouldn't stop perfectly friendly non racist observations that 2 people look alike.

Back
Top Bottom