Djed Spence

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You have to wonder why both we bought him, and why his agents didn't push for a move to Forest/another loan.

At forest he'd have got a full season in the league (even if relegated) and if still in the radar then grab next season.
Agree. Terrible signing, a pawn in the politics of Levy’s house

You have to wonder why both we bought him, and why his agents didn't push for a move to Forest/another loan.

At forest he'd have got a full season in the league (even if relegated) and if still in the radar then grab next season.

Erm he signed a 5 year contract, you think just because he hasn't played after 2 months it's a terrible signing? 🤦‍♀️

Yea, good old argument - coach picked this. He is smarter. Now all go fuck off.

That would turn this forum into ... well stating facts. Royal has started all games. Fact. End of discussion.

But guess fucking what... managers DO FUCK UP. Managers do make mistakes. Managers make wrong picks (like starting Royal)... now you can come out and explain or justify or whatever. But don't come with this boring and simplistic "aaaaa but manager knows more than you" crap.
Have to agree it’s my least favourite argument….. manager knows best ….. close forum

True, which only shows how far down the order Spence is.
I think, as we’re seeing with a Bissouma, Conte takes so much into consideration when deciding whether to play someone. Skipp is fit and performed well last season, he’s not getting a sniff either. It goes so much deeper than the old ‘throw them in at the deep end and see how they cope’ or ‘well they can’t be any worse than the current choices’ policy that saw the likes of Lennon, Bale, Dele or even Walker get their chances quickly. Even Kane to an extent.

I think with Spence, and hopefully this season, he needs to tick more than the ‘good ability, physically ready’ box when Conte has several options that, while imperfect, he trusts. Spence will need to sow the right attitude, the ability to apply instructions, the fitness levels, maybe even something like the right off field relationships with his teammates, and who knows what else, before he is trusted by Conte.

I often compare winning a starting spot in a football team to getting a point decision as a challenger in a boxing or mma fight. You can’t just be a little better than the champion to get the decision, you have to be obviously better. Spence will get minutes only when Conte feels he is obviously the best option.

Rotation this season is a must - a result of having in most weeks matches at the weekend and mid week, itself the result of having a World Cup from mid November through to Boxing Day which will take a full month out of the season, so less days to play the same matches.

Players play best if the have say 5 days rest between matches, and the schedule of 3 matches within a 7 day week means that rotation will become the norm (against Leicester Son and Emerson dropped to bench, Davies injured so Kulusevski, Perisic/Sessegnon and Lenglet started) plus probably using more subs (we used 4 against Leicester, more than usual to bring on Royal, Romero, Bissouma and Son.

So far Conte has relied upon the same faces to rotate in and out of the team, - some 16 players - but I think that he will need to increase that number to avoid that core squad becoming over fatigued (which is when players are most likely to get injured) which means that a number of the other 26 man squad will start to get game time - probably starting with the most experienced such as Skipp, Moura (still out injured) and Doherty but after that the likes of Tanganga and Spence will probably get chances - perhaps starting in the domestic cups ?

I think, as we’re seeing with a Bissouma, Conte takes so much into consideration when deciding whether to play someone. Skipp is fit and performed well last season, he’s not getting a sniff either. It goes so much deeper than the old ‘throw them in at the deep end and see how they cope’ or ‘well they can’t be any worse than the current choices’ policy that saw the likes of Lennon, Bale, Dele or even Walker get their chances quickly. Even Kane to an extent.

I think with Spence, and hopefully this season, he needs to tick more than the ‘good ability, physically ready’ box when Conte has several options that, while imperfect, he trusts. Spence will need to sow the right attitude, the ability to apply instructions, the fitness levels, maybe even something like the right off field relationships with his teammates, and who knows what else, before he is trusted by Conte.

I often compare winning a starting spot in a football team to getting a point decision as a challenger in a boxing or mma fight. You can’t just be a little better than the champion to get the decision, you have to be obviously better. Spence will get minutes only when Conte feels he is obviously the best option.
Bissouma is 26yo, 3 years PL experience playing lights out, and he's been trusted to play only 141 minutes of a possible 630. Would probably be on 70-80mins if Bentancur didn't take a bang to the head.

This is a manager who won't take risks if he feels he doesn't need to take them, and we have 17 points from a possible 21 with Emerson Royal playing at RWB. Spence is very talented, but I doubt he'll play much until Conte trusts him to maintain defensive position consistently over 90 mins and to be as secure on the ball in playing from deep as Emerson is.

For him. And his development. 🤦‍♀️

Honestly you can't post anything on this site without some weapon being offended.

Might come as a shock to you that all players develop differently, some players might need to develop maturely at this level or perhaps learn team instructions or how his team mates play and work closely with the coaches and the manager for the team you play for , it's not all about playing and no-one should be wetting themselves because he hasn't played yet, it's September.

Imagine you actually think that someone opposing your opinion is taking offence to what you said, first day on the internet?

patience he is a young guy adapting to the premiership. A year ago Middlesbrough loaned him out to other championship side, he is not going to break into our side straight away and become a world beater

That's not at all the point. And which poster is claiming they know more than Conte. This is exactly the place to express opinions be they popular or not.

I’m not picking on any particular poster here everyone is untitled to their opinion as am I.
Conte clearly believes Spence is not the best RWB at this point and he is in a better position and knowledge than random people on the internet

I’m not picking on any particular poster here everyone is untitled to their opinion as am I.
Conte clearly believes Spence is not the best RWB at this point and he is in a better position and knowledge than random people on the internet
You don't seem to see it. We all know he knows best. That can not preclude us saying what we might try personally, believe, would like to see happen, or have been told by a singing crystal will yeild results( once you've met Zest that last bit will become clearer).

We don't think we can effect change by wishing it was so, or calling players shit. We do this because it's FUN. That's all. It don't have to be logical make sense or be likely to happen.

Some people here are really humours, some not so much some have real insight, a few have dark hearts and I'd never talk to them in person. Your opinion is of course valid but it puts you in the rather dull camp of folk who seem to kind of miss why we do this.

You don't seem to see it. We all know he knows best. That can not preclude us saying what we might try personally, believe, would like to see happen, or have been told by a singing crystal will yeild results( once you've met Zest that last bit will become clearer).

We don't think we can effect change by wishing it was so, or calling players shit. We do this because it's FUN. That's all. It don't have to be logical make sense or be likely to happen.

Some people here are really humours, some not so much some have real insight, a few have dark hearts and I'd never talk to them in person. Your opinion is of course valid but it puts you in the rather dull camp of folk who seem to kind of miss why we do this.

I’m not missing the point at all, I get it it’s like being at the match and shouting from the stands, heat of the moment stuff everyone having an opinion that’s great.
But having the same opinion said over and over every game, game after game is pretty dull too. you might think it’s FUN but I don’t

Yea, good old argument - coach picked this. He is smarter. Now all go fuck off.

That would turn this forum into ... well stating facts. Royal has started all games. Fact. End of discussion.

But guess fucking what... managers DO FUCK UP. Managers do make mistakes. Managers make wrong picks (like starting Royal)... now you can come out and explain or justify or whatever. But don't come with this boring and simplistic "aaaaa but manager knows more than you" crap.

The manager does know more than you, though!

I’ve seen precious little in the way of football knowledge from you, and I have to be honest about that.

Back
Top Bottom