Dortmund v Spurs- Ropey League Last 16.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Disappointing result tonight with a weakened team. I realise that priorities change during the season and that we probably didn't expect to be 2nd in the league with 9 games to go but I can't help thinking that we were always likely to come up against a really top quality team like Dortmund at some stage. I wonder if we wouldn't have been better to just focus all our attention on the PL given our league position in January - hindsight's a wonderful thing ! By my reckoning we've dropped 9 points after EL games which could prove quite costly. Personally I would rather win the Premier League than the Europa and I'm beginning to wonder whether we'll pay the price - hopefully not. COYS.

Although gutted as always when we lose, not too disapointed.
Losing 3 nil , does mirror the Spurs performances from old but we all know, we are better than that. Strange team chosen, almost welcoming the defeat..3 point win on Sunday, put us back on with the PL and right up LC backside. COYS...

I'm with you. But people still doesn't realize the team Dortmund showed up with, It's equivalent to our Bale, King, Modric and Kane.

Hello guys,
I am a supporter of the BVB. I am a bit sad that you guys did not bring your best squad to the table. Of course you guys want to win the league or qualify for CL, but for me games like these are the reason why we are fans of this fantastic sport after all, so I was disappointed. We in Germany love UK soccer, because of fans atmosphere and honesty and so everyone was really looking forward to this. Too bad that it turned out to be a bit boring. I don't take away too much and I honestly believe that your first squad would have put up a great fight. Maybe next year in the CL hopefully :)

Your fans were amazing though, LOTS of great atmosphere and at the end even congratulated the winner. This is true sportsmanship and everyone in the stadium really appreciated that. Turns out you guys are as great as everyone is saying. Anyway, I am looking forward to a visit in your stadium. Cu in the 2nd leg.

One question: if you stay in the top 4 of your league and qualify for CL, are you afraid that any of your top players leave the club? Or will you guys stay together?
....and THAT'S why German Football (and it's fans) get all the respect they deserve!
Imagine any one of us lot posting summit like that on the BVB forum if we'd just beaten THEM 3-0???

Maybe it is. But I got a feeling that Son is mentally weak and will not work for us. He seemed good before his injury, then he has struggled to get back in the team. Maybe he will come back. But I fear the worst.

Got to admit I find you very intriguing as I hate not agreeing with fans, and we keep disagreeing.

You going to Dortmund at home? I'll buy you a pint and explain why you are wrong.

I'll also throw in some Asian 'massage' if you cover the £300 per girl.

Looking forward to it already.

Hello guys,
I am a supporter of the BVB. I am a bidifferent hat you guys did not bring your best squad to the table. Of course you guys want to win the league or qualify for CL, but for me games like these are the reason why we are fans of this fantastic sport after all, so I was disappointed. We in Germany love UK soccer, because of fans atmosphere and honesty and so everyone was really looking forward to this. Too bad that it turned out to be a bit boring. I don't take away too much and I honestly believe that your first squad would have put up a great fight. Maybe next year in the CL hopefully :)

Your fans were amazing though, LOTS of great atmosphere and at the end even congratulated the winner. This is true sportsmanship and everyone in the stadium really appreciated that. Turns out you guys are as great as everyone is saying. Anyway, I am looking forward to a visit in your stadium. Cu in the 2nd leg.

One question: if you stay in the top 4 of your league and qualify for CL, are you afraid that any of your top players leave the club? Or will you guys stay together?
The match lacked a competitive edge. It was played in good spirits from both teams. At WHL it may be different if we decide to go for it. You are a very good side but its hard to judge how close we are to you when we play a weaken side.

Agree but winning the league would be better than everything even if it is only a chance.

Let's be honest our First 11 is very good but we really need to buy in the summer. I would love to have a squad that can go after every competition but with being second and the lack of depth you can understand what Poch is thinking.

We really need two Dembeles, two Harry Kane and Reus as well would be nice.

We defo need to strengthen and having two Dembele would help and a Reus....

COYS

Hello guys,
I am a supporter of the BVB. I am a bit sad that you guys did not bring your best squad to the table. Of course you guys want to win the league or qualify for CL, but for me games like these are the reason why we are fans of this fantastic sport after all, so I was disappointed. We in Germany love UK soccer, because of fans atmosphere and honesty and so everyone was really looking forward to this. Too bad that it turned out to be a bit boring. I don't take away too much and I honestly believe that your first squad would have put up a great fight. Maybe next year in the CL hopefully :)

Daniel, brilliant response and we all would have wanted that.

Unfortunately with modern football, us qualifying for the champions league is the priority for financial reasons and that is just plain wrong.

Hopefully if we do, we can have a real game next year.

Just saw this match ... Freaking shit. WTF, Poch?
Talk about under-estimating your opponent. FFS.

Onomah starting against them. Against freaking BVB? Really? He is so raw. I know he's still young but he's never been impressive. Really hope he gets a good loan next season. He needs one. And Mason and Carrol in midfield ... together? Where the heck is Bentaleb? And then there's not playing an actual striker. Really need to buy a ST this summer. And if Bentaleb is not in Poch's plans, then we also need to get another DM. We just lack quality in depth. Which is why I don't understand why people are opposed to buying players like Insigne? Anyway, respect to Dortmund. Not only pretty good, but also pretty classy.

Oh well. Screw it. Better play the kids and fringe players in the home leg.
And let's go all H.A.M. on the PL!

Last edited:
Hello guys,

Top man

I was gutted we didn't have a full strength side to try and give you a game.
You played really well to tonight and it would have required a full strength spurs 11 to give you a competitive game.

Much respect and please go on and win the competition and maybe we meet again next year in the Champions League.

Good luck

Seriously, was anyone surprised with the performance and result after seeing the starting 11 ?
Some of our squad players are just not up to it, we have a good 15/16 man squad, the lack of depth is most noticeable in all positions ahead of the back 4.

Oh well.

One Nandos inside me and I realise now that this is a a joke competition. Once the cl rejects drop down it makes it a farce of a cup. I hope Liverpool draw Dortmund the week we are sandwiched to play them.

Poch was right and I'm glad. Son is awesome, Chadli is easily the match of Kane and Clinton will make the difference when he returns.

Cough.

Got to admit I find you very intriguing as I hate not agreeing with fans, and we keep disagreeing.

You going to Dortmund at home? I'll buy you a pint and explain why you are wrong.

I'll also throw in some Asian 'massage' if you cover the £300 per girl.

Looking forward to it already.
I'm not going to Dortmund at home. Student budget limited I'm afraid. I have my opinions, my way on looking at things, you have yours. Dortmund was good today, absolutely. I think we put out a team tonight that would have struggled against Crystal Palace. Do you disagree? I find our second string players not good enough.
And I'm allowed to be disappointed by that. It all comes down to that I think we could have put out a better team who would get a better result without affecting the Aston Villa result.
I don't think this Dortmund side is any more special than we are at our best. Maybe I'm living in a dream bubble. We'll not know for now...
The pint and the massage girls would be equal from my side, that being said.

Hello guys,

Posts like this are fantastic after we completed the tie honoury Yido status will be bestowed. Hang around for the title run in. And hope you overtake Bayern

Cheers

Hello guys,

100% agree with your comments. There is an old thread in this forum somewhere deadicated to BVB and it has nothing but respect for your club along with a massive dose envy for the your stadium and your supporters/atmosphere.

Everyone one was looking forward to this game, the general feeling was this is the game that we find out just how good we are, and this question hasn't been answered. What we do know is that you are the first team to beat us fair and square all season.

The 2nd leg is sold out, but being out played by you tonight, being 3-0 nil down and possibly playing another 2nd team, I fear that the atmosphere may be a bit flat. If you could ask Tuchel to bring your 2nd team them that would be just great.

With us there is always a fear of loosing your best players, and we have! Unlike you we are not the 2nd best team in the league, we are regularly 5th so we have the constant threat of 4 teams above you tapping up your players as well as the likes of Real Madrid etc. But, there is a very different feeling this season, we have some very good players but our success is mainly due to how we play as a collective unit. We do not have a Bale or Modric type superstars anymore. Also if we maintain our position in the league and perhaps more importantly the likes of Manchester Utd, Chelsea outside of the top 4 it all makes it much easier to keep players. The biggest fear we would have would be to lose our manager, who has been the sole reason for our success this season.

Look forward to receiving you at the Lane.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom