Dortmund v Spurs- Ropey League Last 16.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Hello guys,
I am a supporter of the BVB. I am a bit sad that you guys did not bring your best squad to the table. Of course you guys want to win the league or qualify for CL, but for me games like these are the reason why we are fans of this fantastic sport after all, so I was disappointed. We in Germany love UK soccer, because of fans atmosphere and honesty and so everyone was really looking forward to this. Too bad that it turned out to be a bit boring. I don't take away too much and I honestly believe that your first squad would have put up a great fight. Maybe next year in the CL hopefully :)

Your fans were amazing though, LOTS of great atmosphere and at the end even congratulated the winner. This is true sportsmanship and everyone in the stadium really appreciated that. Turns out you guys are as great as everyone is saying. Anyway, I am looking forward to a visit in your stadium. Cu in the 2nd leg.

One question: if you stay in the top 4 of your league and qualify for CL, are you afraid that any of your top players leave the club? Or will you guys stay together?

The team spirit has looked great all season. If it doesn't take a hit now that we've dumped out of all the cups, and if we don't choke in the last games of the season, I think our players are likely to stay.

Alli and Dier loves each other, so they'll stay. Alderweireld and Vertonghen brings out the best from each other, so they'll stay. Lloris will finally get to play CL for us, so he'll stay (I think, although he looked angry/disappointed today). Rose would die for Spurs it seems, so I think he'll stay. Kane is Spurs, so he'll stay. I'm not sure about Eriksen, but I think it would take a big offer to lure him away, and I'm not sure if a bigger club would go for him. I think Dembele will stay, now that he's finally playing his best football for us. As for the rest: I don't think a bigger club would want them (no offense guys, you know I love you!!).

I'm not going to Dortmund at home. Student budget limited I'm afraid. I have my opinions, my way on looking at things, you have yours. Dortmund was good today, absolutely. I think we put out a team tonight that would have struggled against Crystal Palace. Do you disagree? I find our second string players not good enough.
And I'm allowed to be disappointed by that. It all comes down to that I think we could have put out a better team who would get a better result without affecting the Aston Villa result.
I don't think this Dortmund side is any more special than we are at our best. Maybe I'm living in a dream bubble. We'll not know for now...
The pint and the massage girls would be equal from my side, that being said.

Fuck football, let's split the girls!

As disappointing as tonight's been looking at our squad you'd have to say Poch's surrender was probably the right call - dare I say it the kind of bold move that a Mourinho or Ferguson would make. He's weighed up the psychological gut punch of a comprehensive defeat by one of Europe's best to the physical burden of another round of tough European fixtures, and plumped for the former. Good on him - we've been dropping points as a result of the Europa league for half a decade now, points that would have secured Champions League spots and potentially even some minor silverware (that means you Coca Cola cup). Poch probably didn't fancy our odds against a Dortmund side even if we did go full strength and decides to go all out for the league. There can be no excuses from this point on. Do or die motherfuckers!!!

1st point class from our fans. 2nd mason chadli and caroll are not up to it against the big teams if we get champions league football get use to it. 3rd should have gone for one of these cups last few weeks balls deep the league could end up anything the games we got away i am sitting here thinking wow. Worse case end up 5th again same shit diffrenet year

Spurs completely outplayed by a superior team, but what I don't understand is this: why did Poch throw in the towel with the competition so late on? Why not play weaker sides earlier in the competition, get knocked out, and focus on the PL?
I dare not look at my ratings on this forum, for I was very unpopular for suggesting it would be a good thing if Fiorentina knocked us out like they did last year.
I also said the squad would be knackered from too many games, which is now obviously is.
Spurs can forget about the title now, which I think is between Leicester and Woolwich.
They need to focus on getting top 4.
Poch's a great manager but his methods need a deep squad full of quality. He isn't going to get that at Spurs so I still think the Chelsea move could be on for him.
Spursy, as they say!

The club should offer full refunds to everyone who went and has already bought tickets for the 2nd leg.

That was a thrown game.

When you put it in context of almost 2 seasons work to get to that point, against one of the biggest clubs in Europe it threatens the full integrity of the club.

Not saying Poch is the first manager at our club to do it but it will never get easier and I personally will never accept it.

Spurs completely outplayed by a superior team, but what I don't understand is this: why did Poch throw in the towel with the competition so late on? Why not play weaker sides earlier in the competition, get knocked out, and focus on the PL?
Because we didn't know back then that we'd be in the title race at this stage of the season.
Poch's a great manager but his methods need a deep squad full of quality. He isn't going to get that at Spurs so I still think the Chelsea move could be on for him.
A dumb remark. His talent is for concentrating on and developing young players into a competition winning team. Chelsea have almost no youth system to speak of and a squad full of egos and individual personalities. Only if he wants money and a six month job will he go there.

As disappointing as tonight's been looking at our squad you'd have to say Poch's surrender was probably the right call - dare I say it the kind of bold move that a Mourinho or Ferguson would make. He's weighed up the psychological gut punch of a comprehensive defeat by one of Europe's best to the physical burden of another round of tough European fixtures, and plumped for the former. Good on him - we've been dropping points as a result of the Europa league for half a decade now, points that would have secured Champions League spots and potentially even some minor silverware (that means you Coca Cola cup). Poch probably didn't fancy our odds against a Dortmund side even if we did go full strength and decides to go all out for the league. There can be no excuses from this point on. Do or die motherfuckers!!!

I don't get your point?

We surrender a game so we can play them again next season? What happens if we are 5th next season at the same point? Do we throw the game again to have the chance to do the same again and again?

When do we give it a tilt against a serious team in Europe?

What if we had gotten that striker and/or defensive midfielder? What if we had picked up a point against the Hammers and/or beaten Woolwich? Plenty of what ifs, and I hesitate to criticise Pochettino for simply throwing the game as he might have made a different decision under other circumstances. We were just a Kane and Dier away from a squad that's not far off from our regular 11 (whether that's good enough to beat Dortmund is another matter), and it's not like he stuck in youth players for half the squad.

In any case, all our eggs are now in the League, and the pressure is on Poch and the team to finish well.

Of course, I wouldn't mind a 4-0 against Dortmund at the Lane :levyeyes:

First time this season I really think Poch has got it wrong. :(

Maybe winning this over two legs against Dortmund was unrealistic, but would have preferred the full-fat starting eleven approach.

However, in this thread there are clearly some non-Spurs fans, so may I suggest to them, if they are not Leicester, to kindly do one and look at the league table.

All about opinions and many people will disagree. But I fully agree with what you wrote. A difficult call for Poch to make and IMO he's got it right. If we live in the real world he either needs to go for the league or the EL. Play the best team in both we are guaranteed to win neither. The league means a lot more and- even before tonight- was/is the one we had/have a better chance of winning anyway.

Poch made the right call, short sighted clowns on here want him to run the team into the ground...while bringing up the even failure has an echo of glory nonsense. No failure sucks, we lose our best players and a lot of money by not qualifying for the champions league. We can't lose ground in the premier league. Playing our best 11 here would have damaged our league performances.

I completely understand both sides, but I for one am 100% on board with how Poch played this.

CL birth has to be an absolute priority, and we are still in the thick of the title chase.

Poch made the right call, short sighted clowns on here want him to run the team into the ground...while bringing up the even failure has an echo of glory nonsense. No failure sucks, we lose our best players and a lot of money by not qualifying for the champions league. We can't lose ground in the premier league. Playing our best 11 here would have damaged our league performances.

Except we are playing arguably the second worst, possibly even the worst team ever in the history of the premiership on Sunday. Surely it would have made sense to have given the top team a rest against those clowns?

Then made a call next Thursday on what team to play. Hellfire some players could have had week and half off had tonights result been the same. Who knows? Couple that with the international break next week and they could have had 2 and a half weeks off!

It's not rocket science mate.

Keep up.

Except we are playing arguably the second worst, possibly even the worst team ever in the history of the premiership on Sunday. Surely it would have made sense to have given the top team a rest against those clowns?

Then made a call next Thursday on what team to play. Hellfire some players could have had week and half off had tonights result been the same. Who knows? Couple that with the international break next week and they could have had 2 and a half weeks off!

It's not rocket science mate.

Keep up.

You keep underestimating the impact of fatigue on the squad. We play away to villa who are fighting for their lives. They will not roll over for us. They are in the pressure cooker now . Every single fucking year we shoot ourselves in the foot this time of the year dropping points to team we should have beat. I dont want that team to be villa or bournemouth.

Considering our very recent run in the PL, I'm not taking any team for granted at this point.
And lets not forget how desperate Villa will be this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom