England squad

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

For me there is two obvious errors.

Braitwaite is a clear one, Dunk in his two recent games looked miles out of his depth for England. The other issue is left back, we only have Shaw. Tripper and Gomez are horrible left backs, he is young but we should have chosen Lewis Hall.

If Stones and Shaw aren’t fit (which is a big risk) this is the backline

Walker Dunk Guehi Tripper

So that is the mediocrity of Dunk and the unsuitability of Trippier. If Stones and Shaw can’t keep fit we will not win the Euro’s, no chance.
absolutely no way is Joe Gomez a horrible left back. He's been excellent in that position this season.

Stones and Shaw out I would play:
Trent Walker Guehi Foden
Wharton Rice
Palmer Bellingham Eze
Kane

Fluid ballers with Gordon for pace

Combined 11 probably looks like this;

Pickford
Walker Stones Saliba Shaw
Bellingham Rice Foden
Saka Kane Mbappe

Maignan over Pickford probably but yes, not far off!

Stones and Walker dead certs to start - you probably take Theo at LB especially with Shaws injuries.

Bellingham and Rice nailed on in midfield.

Stones and Walker dead certs to start - you probably take Theo at LB especially with Shaws injuries.

Close with the keepers. The tournament experience of Pickford probably just shades it for me but admittedly not much in it.

A fit Shaw I would prefer over Hernandez - who I think was quite poor against England in the semi final, conceding a bad penalty, getting booked and having little answers for Saka.

A bit like us with the forwards… you have the single best midfielder (Rice) but overall a weaker blend. Unless Griezmann counts as a midfielder…

Bellingham is a midfielder and will play in midfield. A combined midfield 3 would be Bellingham, Rice and Tchouameni. Griezmann would not start over La Liga’s player of the season at 10.

France have a better goalkeeper, better defensive mid, better left back, the best player out of both squads and better midfield depth. Much better defensive depth all across the line apart from RB.

England need no injuries and players who are injured to come back and be fit.

Probably take Theo at LB?

Haha I was thinking SameOldSpurs SameOldSpurs was an Inter fan leaving out Theo and Maignan who are comfortably ahead of Pickford and Shaw. Hilarious comment!!

Foden is against Mbappé as used. Kane and Saka win. Bellingham against Grizou is a tie at best. Tchouameni definitely sits with Rice.

And that’s before we start with the depth where it becomes a little embarrassing for England.

Probably take Theo at LB?

Haha I was thinking SameOldSpurs SameOldSpurs was an Inter fan leaving out Theo and Maignan who are comfortably ahead of Pickford and Shaw. Hilarious comment!!

Foden is against Mbappé as used. Kane and Saka win. Bellingham against Grizou is a tie at best. Tchouameni definitely sits with Rice.

A tie at best lol, both Foden and Bellingham are better players in 2024 than Griezmann. Their respective league players of the seasons and stars at the two best teams on the planet.

I would take Theo, Maignan, Tchouameni, Saliba and Mbappe in to our eleven.

Close with the keepers. The tournament experience of Pickford probably just shades it for me but admittedly not much in it.

A fit Shaw I would prefer over Hernandez - who I think was quite poor against England in the semi final, conceding a bad penalty, getting booked and having little answers for Saka.
Good to see we’re judging players on one game. If it’s that game then Kane is a bit average. I’ll take Giroud over him ;)

GFiiDSjaIAA0H6t.jpeg.webp

Fair bit of criticism against Maignan this season. The stats back it up, and he's untested in proper international tournaments?

Back
Top Bottom