England squad

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I genuinely hate Sakashit so much that I hope he plays tomorow night and gets injured, and out of the Euros
star wars hate GIF

COYS!!!!!

The amount of nations who can boast better back-up strikers is really slim though. Ultimately you’re going to have a very short list of elite players proven at the top level for their countries as well.

Watkins hasn’t played well for England but he nabbed 19 goals 13 assists in the league with no pens. Very few countries have strikers like that in reserve. We haven’t really created chances for him.
You’re right. The worry there is, we lose our first choice 9 and then play a resilient, well-organised side who get a bit of luck and out we go.

Think Denmark, Croatia, Hungary, Switzerland, Italy… teams we should be beating but would be one injury away from a much more difficult game.

It doesn’t. It just means that England (and France) are both lightweight after their first choice 9s.

"Lightweight" by what measure? ........Relative to whom? ......I don't see how much more stacked at CF you'd expect England to be.

HK - GOAT
OW - Just had a banner EPL season - 19G / 13A
IT - Good ST (Problematic season; but previously hit 20 EPL goals and 3rd in the golden boot race.)
JB - Hot as fuck season / Balon D'or contender (albeit more as a proxy striker)

It's not the 90s where we'd churn out of top STs one after another...... No-one does anymore.

"Lightweight" by what measure? ........Relative to whom? ......I don't see how much more stacked at CF you'd expect England to be.

HK - GOAT
OW - Just had a banner EPL season - 19G / 13A
IT - Good ST (Problematic season; but previously hit 20 EPL goals and 3rd in the golden boot race.)
JB - Hot as fuck season / Balon D'or contender (albeit more as a proxy striker)

It's not the 90s where we'd churn out of top STs one after another...... No-one does anymore.
I have explained by what measure. You just ignored it.

I have explained by what measure. You just ignored it.

All you really said was "experience".

At the end of the day, competition is relative to the other teams around you; so the pertinent question remains........ Who has better (and more experienced) options?

You’re right. The worry there is, we lose our first choice 9 and then play a resilient, well-organised side who get a bit of luck and out we go.

Think Denmark, Croatia, Hungary, Switzerland, Italy… teams we should be beating but would be one injury away from a much more difficult game.

I’m a lot more worried about our left back and centre backs tbh.

If Kane was injured I do think we’d play Bellingham false 9.

All you really said was "experience".

At the end of the day, competition is relative to the other teams around you; so the pertinent question remains........ Who has better (and more experienced) options?
That’s not the pertinent question. The pertinent question is, how much of an effect would it have if we lost our first choice striker and our opposition didn’t?

Answer: it would not be good.

The same of course, is true of many other teams. My point is only that when the margins are tight, neither side has a reliable backup and it would be truly detrimental. England have other glaring weaknesses too (as Deuterz Deuterz has said, left back and centreback) but it’s not true of every position.

Pickford, stones, rice, shaw, and Kane would all be huge losses for England.

Maignan, Mbappé, Grizou and Giroud would all be huge losses for France.

That’s not the pertinent question. The pertinent question is, how much of an effect would it have if we lost our first choice striker and our opposition didn’t?

Answer: it would not be good.

The same of course, is true of many other teams. My point is only that when the margins are tight, neither side has a reliable backup and it would be truly detrimental. England have other glaring weaknesses too (as Deuterz Deuterz has said, left back and centreback) but it’s not true of every position.

Pickford, stones, rice, shaw, and Kane would all be huge losses for England.

Maignan, Mbappé, Grizou and Giroud would all be huge losses for France.

Obv. losing Kane would not be good; primarily because of how good Kane is (including his all round ability beyond his goalscoring)........ Not cos of how poor our back-up is.

I think your point is far more pertinent re: Shaw & Stones.

Obv. losing Kane would not be good; primarily because of how good Kane is (including his all round ability beyond his goalscoring)........ Not cos of how poor our back-up is.

I think the drop off from Bellingham to Foden or sala to Palmer is far far less of a concern than Kane to Watkins.

There’s a lot more confidence in Watkins than is merited.

If stones isn’t fit for the knockouts we should just go home and I’m only half joking. Zero chance if he’s not available.

I think we have enough forward quality that if Kane was out, the others pick up the slack. Without Stones we would be fuuuuuckeeddd.

Walker too tbh. That Man City right hand side of defence is where all our hopes are in terms of being competent back there.

I think the drop off from Bellingham to Foden or sala to Palmer is far far less of a concern than Kane to Watkins.

Palmer is less experienced in every sense than Watkins (years in the game, top flight and international) so how does that work then?

I’m going to be fucking working during the final. Managed to finesse the rota for every other game unless I finish very late for any of them.

I think if you’re talented enough then experience of international football is overrated. It’s just football. Generally if anything it’s a lower level !!

Rooney’s debut tournament was insane. Young players who play without fear can be devastating. I think for older players the fear they are running out of tournaments can be a hinderance.

So many young players have made their name in a big tournament. Obviously this doesn’t really apply to Watkin. I do think the whole ‘international quality’ marker is bollocks too, some absolutely shite footballers (Enner Valencia) have thrived in internationals.

Palmer is less experienced in every sense than Watkins (years in the game, top flight and international) so how does that work then?
Palmer has put up more goals and assists in fewer games at 21/22 than Watkins has at 27. In a worse team.

I think Palmer is more likely to have a good tournament than Watkins because he has more talent.

However we do in this tournament, we're going to be in much better shape in the next one squad wise. Braithwaite, Colwill and Quensah will all be more experienced and will certainly strengthen the centre of our defence. Wharton and Mainoo are hopefully going to be ballers by 2026 and not just top prospects. Then there's other talent such as Rico Lewis, Tino Livramento, Harvey Elliott and Morgan Rogers who you would think will have really kicked on by the time the World Cup comes around.

However we do in this tournament, we're going to be in much better shape in the next one squad wise. Braithwaite, Colwill and Quensah will all be more experienced and will certainly strengthen the centre of our defence. Wharton and Mainoo are hopefully going to be ballers by 2026 and not just top prospects. Then there's other talent such as Rico Lewis, Tino Livramento, Harvey Elliott and Morgan Rogers who you would think will have really kicked on by the time the World Cup comes around.
Heard this soooooo many times before! 🥱

Back
Top Bottom