England squad

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

19 year old Mainoo who has played 24 games of premier league football for a dreadful United team is going to replace Rice without issue?

Or Wharton who has played just 16 games...for Crystal Palace.

Bellingham, Fodon both play in World Class teams, surrounded by world class players - including the very best defenders and midfielders - they are not going to be as effective are aren't used to carry the dross that is the England defence.
Yes, Mainoo and Wharton. Young and experienced but confident and talented, both take the ball from the back and play through. The back four has some major weaknesses though, I agree

I don't see England even getting out of the group to be honest. The back 4 are hopless, with their CB 'leader' Stones having made just 16 appearances all season, Shaw only 12. Trippier has been out of action for ages.

In midfield, we only need to be without Rice and we have zero ability to transition from defense to midfield.

England certainly don't have the players to pass out from the back, and they don't have the midfielders to play through the center.

It's going to be hoof ball. Sit back, invite pressure and when you get the ball, hoof it up to the wings for runner to get onto. run to the corner, pull it back and aim for late runs from Bellingham / Fodon into the box.

If it's one thing England don't do under Southgate it's play "hoof ball". We keep possession better than ever. Probably too much at times as it can make us be a bit "safe" and play at too slow a tempo. But we recently played Brazil and Belgium and had a bit more possession than both.

And thinking England won't get out of that group is utter codswallop. As is saying a back four that will hopefully include Stones, Walker (both world-class) and Shaw (made the last Euro team of the tournament) is hopeless.

Last edited:
Joe Gomes has been excellent at LB so he's inclusion is justified.

I'd have taken Branthwaite over Dunk for sure so yep agree there.

Walker -- Guehi -- Stones --Shaw
Trippier Dunk Konsa Gomes

Rice---Gallagher
Wharton TAA
Mainoo

Saka---------Bellingham-------Foden
Bowen Palmer Eze
Gordon

Kane
Toney
Watkins

I mean as I said there's an argument for Branthwaite over Dunk and Konsa and maybe another LB? other then that it looks like we are pretty stacked and not including maddisin and grealish is right as we have more then enough cover in attacking positions.
For me there's a few question marks here. Firstly right cb guehi I'm OK with dunk definitely not an injury to guehi causes us a huge problem. Secondly gomes may have done a good job but there's no substitute for balance especially in the biggest games so we're imo unbalanced there until a left back who hasn't played since February returns which in itself again is a monumental risk again. Thirdly I think putting foden left wing instead of where he won player of the season in his creative central role is another Scholes scenario all over again,this also means that potentially Gallagher starts and I don't think he's part of our strongest 11.

Our best midfield 3 is Bellingham (who can play box to box) Rice and Foden. They may not seem big issues upon first viewing but for me it tells me alot about how we're going to set up and I don't think that is the best way to get the best out of one our potentially best squads we've had in a long time.

For me there is two obvious errors.

Braitwaite is a clear one, Dunk in his two recent games looked miles out of his depth for England. The other issue is left back, we only have Shaw. Tripper and Gomez are horrible left backs, he is young but we should have chosen Lewis Hall.

If Stones and Shaw aren’t fit (which is a big risk) this is the backline

Walker Dunk Guehi Tripper

So that is the mediocrity of Dunk and the unsuitability of Trippier. If Stones and Shaw can’t keep fit we will not win the Euro’s, no chance.
Lewis Hall couldn't get a start for an injury ravaged Newcastle for most of last season. I share the concerns about left back but needing Lewis Hall to step up is as risky as trippier imo.

Dunk hopefully won't see any minutes so im calm about that.

Lewis Hall couldn't get a start for an injury ravaged Newcastle for most of last season. I share the concerns about left back but needing Lewis Hall to step up is as risky as trippier imo.

Dunk hopefully won't see any minutes so im calm about that.

Hall has a lot to learn but he's a natural left-back. It makes a big difference having someone able to comfortably bomb up and down at left-back rather than cut back inside every time, which is exactly what either Trippier or Gomez will do.

We'll get away with it in the group stages though. Southgate's hope will be that Shaw can perhaps play the last group stage game with us as good as qualified already and then he'll be good to go for the knockouts games.

You have stronger forwards than France but you’re weaker everywhere else.

And we can still field Mbappé, Giroud and Griezmann.

I don’t know how England are still favourites to be honest.
You have good CB but for some reason play Upamecano.

We are favorites with the bookies due to the money being spent not due to expert opinion

All this talk about the French being so much better than us, is that actually the case? I mean we played them in the World Cup last summer and there was next to nothing in the game. Both teams had injuries, not just the French. While I would say they are stronger in defence in regards to depth, and probably edge midfield, I certainly don't think it's by any great distance. Starting 11's there's nothing in it.

Pickford vs Maignan

Pretty much the same level. Both good keepers, neither world-class. To show I'm not biased I'll got with Maignan, just.

Walker vs Pavard

Pavard is a great right-back, but I'm taking Kyle every time. He's the best right-back we've produced.

Stones vs Upamecano

Totally different style of defenders, but Stones is a much better footballer. Easy pick.

Konate vs Konsa

Would give the edge to Konate. But he was very average for Liverpool at the back end of last season and can definitely be got at. Saliba should be starting for France.

Shaw vs Hernandez

The Luke Shaw that plays for England, when fit, is generally much better than the one at United. Similar level but I'll give it to the Frenchman.

Rice vs Kante

Kante has been an amazing player and is probably still very good. But the back end of his Chelsea career was blighted with injuries, and he's 33 now. So I'm taking Rice here.

Mainoo vs Camavinga

Hard to call this one as one is generally much more defensive than the other. Both top talents. Draw. If I had to pick one it would be Camavinga, but they are really different.

Bellingham vs Greizmann

One is the future, one is at the back end of his career. But as Greizmann is still brilliant and probably the French player I always worry most about, even more so than Mbappe, I'll call this a draw.

Foden vs Mbappe

Foden was at Mbappe's level last season, but will give this to Mbappe who is arguably the best player in world football. Walker will have him in his back pocket though, should we meet.

Saka vs Coman

I'd say this is close but would genuinely edge it to Saka, despite who he plays for. I think he just has a more consistent end product and better stats.

Kane vs Giroud/Muani

Giroud has been an under-rated and under appreciated footballer, but he's not Kane. Neither is Muani. Clear win for Kane.

So I make that 4 for England, 4 for France and 3 equal. And yes, I'm bored on my break at work.

Hall has a lot to learn but he's a natural left-back. It makes a big difference having someone able to comfortably bomb up and down at left-back rather than cut back inside every time, which is exactly what either Trippier or Gomez will do.

We'll get away with it in the group stages though. Southgate's hope will be that Shaw can perhaps play the last group stage game with us as good as qualified already and then he'll be good to go for the knockouts games.
I don't disagree that a lb is needed, don't think there is one.

During their injury crisis Livramento was starting over Hall. Didn't pay much attention to Newcastle towards the end of the season but Hall would have needed to be real hot to get a call up.

I don't disagree that a lb is needed, don't think there is one.

During their injury crisis Livramento was starting over Hall. Didn't pay much attention to Newcastle towards the end of the season but Hall would have needed to be real hot to get a call up.

Personally I don't know why that Mitchell lad at Palace wasn't called up. Had a good season and has also already been capped by Southgate. He just wants to find a way to get Trippier in the team but I don't understand why as he was quite poor at times for Newcastle last season and cost them a number of goals.

All this talk about the French being so much better than us, is that actually the case? I mean we played them in the World Cup last summer and there was next to nothing in the game. Both teams had injuries, not just the French. While I would say they are stronger in defence in regards to depth, and probably edge midfield, I certainly don't think it's by any great distance. Starting 11's there's nothing in it.

Pickford vs Maignan

Pretty much the same level. Both good keepers, neither world-class. To show I'm not biased I'll got with Maignan, just.

Walker vs Pavard

Pavard is a great right-back, but I'm taking Kyle every time. He's the best right-back we've produced.

Stones vs Upamecano

Totally different style of defenders, but Stones is a much better footballer. Easy pick.

Konate vs Konsa

Would give the edge to Konate. But he was very average for Liverpool at the back end of last season and can definitely be got at. Saliba should be starting for France.

Shaw vs Hernandez

The Luke Shaw that plays for England, when fit, is generally much better than the one at United. Similar level but I'll give it to the Frenchman.

Rice vs Kante

Kante has been an amazing player and is probably still very good. But the back end of his Chelsea career was blighted with injuries, and he's 33 now. So I'm taking Rice here.

Mainoo vs Camavinga

Hard to call this one as one is generally much more defensive than the other. Both top talents. Draw. If I had to pick one it would be Camavinga, but they are really different.

Bellingham vs Greizmann

One is the future, one is at the back end of his career. But as Greizmann is still brilliant and probably the French player I always worry most about, even more so than Mbappe, I'll call this a draw.

Foden vs Mbappe

Foden was at Mbappe's level last season, but will give this to Mbappe who is arguably the best player in world football. Walker will have him in his back pocket though, should we meet.

Saka vs Coman

I'd say this is close but would genuinely edge it to Saka, despite who he plays for. I think he just has a more consistent end product and better stats.

Kane vs Giroud/Muani

Giroud has been an under-rated and under appreciated footballer, but he's not Kane. Neither is Muani. Clear win for Kane.

So I make that 4 for England, 4 for France and 3 equal. And yes, I'm bored on my break at work.

Maignan, Hernandez and Camavinga would walk into this England team. Blindfolded.

I don't see England even getting out of the group to be honest. The back 4 are hopless, with their CB 'leader' Stones having made just 16 appearances all season, Shaw only 12. Trippier has been out of action for ages.

In midfield, we only need to be without Rice and we have zero ability to transition from defense to midfield.

England certainly don't have the players to pass out from the back, and they don't have the midfielders to play through the center.

It's going to be hoof ball. Sit back, invite pressure and when you get the ball, hoof it up to the wings for runner to get onto. run to the corner, pull it back and aim for late runs from Bellingham / Fodon into the box.

Just a load of outdated crap which would’ve been a decent point in the Roy era but makes zero sense now.

I will offer you any odds on us getting to the quarter final at least. Anything you want to accept. Any wager.

Maignan, Hernandez and Camavinga would walk into this England team. Blindfolded.

Not for me. I mean I'm not saying our counterparts are better, but I don't see any real difference in quality between the keepers and the left-backs. Both Pickford and Shaw are generally great for England in tournaments. Shaw was outstanding in the previous Euros.

Not for me. I mean I'm not saying our counterparts are better, but I don't see any real difference in quality between the keepers and the left-backs. Both Pickford and Shaw are generally great for England in tournaments. Shaw was outstanding in the previous Euros.

You wouldn't buy a player off the back of a good tournament, nor should you really judge one.

Shaw is nowhere near Hernandez level. He's also held together with chewing gum and it's wrapper.

Hernandez is a good left back. He also can’t defend at all. He’s a Trent level defender, he’s basically a winger.

We probably wouldn’t even play him the same way we don’t give Tomori a sniff. Which doesn’t mean that is right but the bloke would be getting the same shit as Trent except Trent percentile wise is far more impressive in nearly every offensive area.

Theo is literally in the fourth percentile for tackles, the twentieth for interceptions etc. He leaves his CB high and fucking dry lads. Brilliant ball carrier, goalscorer and crosser of the ball from full-back, yes. But he’s a worse defender than Trent in EVERY category statistically.

Just a load of outdated crap which would’ve been a decent point in the Roy era but makes zero sense now.

I will offer you any odds on us getting to the quarter final at least. Anything you want to accept. Any wager.
With the talent we have, we should be winning this tournament.....but guess what......

Shaw won't even play in the group stages........... Ignoring this fact won't make it go away.

Back
Top Bottom