England squad

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Which is the best pairing then?

Rice-Gallagher
Rice-Wharton
Rice-Mainoo
Rice-Trent
Other?

For me Wharton is the best fit. Try him in a group match and if he fails, it probably won't be fatal to England's chances overall.

If it clicks, he could be a key player for us, like Kalvin Phillips was in the last Euros, also coming in without a lot of caps.

In terms of balance Wharton and either Rice or Gallagher. If we want to play Trent needs to be in a 3 man midfield.

I’d prefer to play trent RWB and have Walker come in as a RCB tbh. I think going back to the five back could be necessary if our defensive issues are *that* bad.

So Trent and Shaw as wing backs with Walker, Stones and Ghuei as the back 3? Appreciate Shaw and Stones might not be ready for game one.

Rice-Gallagher
Rice-Wharton
Rice-Mainoo
Rice-Trent
Other?

For me Wharton is the best fit. Try him in a group match and if he fails, it probably won't be fatal to England's chances overall.

If it clicks, he could be a key player for us, like Kalvin Phillips was in the last Euros, also coming in without a lot of caps.
Rice-vindaloo

Rice-Gallagher
Rice-Wharton
Rice-Mainoo
Rice-Trent
Other?

It will be Rice - Trent to start with and then see how they get on.

Walker will be RB

Against high quality opposition I reckon Rice-Mainoo will be the pairing.

If Southgate throws a one capper with just 16 premier league starts to his name into the starting eleven I'll be amazed.

Pickford

Walker
Stones (if fit)
Guehi
Gomez

Rice
Wharton

Bellingham

Eze
Saka
Kane

Gomez to come in for Trippier to add some much needed height to the backline against Serbia.

Keep changing between Trent and Wharton starting in midfield alongside Rice. But despite having much more experience I actually see TAA as the bigger gamble. Wharton has the talent and game to make the team tick.

It seems almost daft I'm leaving out a player of Foden's ability butI just can't have him stuck out on the left where it's never worked for England under Southgate. For this game he would be a wonderful sub to bring on after 65-70 minutes when Bellingham inevitably starts to tire.

Eze in just ahead of Gordon based on him having a bit more of an all round game, but I'd be fine with either starting. Saka has his nose ahead of Palmer right now based on him being generally excellent for England over the last couple of years.

Gareth will no doubt see it much differently to most of us though.

In terms of balance, if Shaw isn't fit I'd probably go with:

Kane
Gordon - Bellingham - Foden
Rice - Wharton
Gomez - Guehi - Stones - Walker
Pickford
Nervy 0-1

Sadly I think we'll see Trent in midfield and trying to shoehorn all our attackers in. But it shouldn't matter too much against Serbia you'd hope.

So Trent and Shaw as wing backs with Walker, Stones and Ghuei as the back 3? Appreciate Shaw and Stones might not be ready for game one.

Yep. Fully fit Trent and shaw wing backs, that back 3 and then Rice and Bellingham as a double pivot. Ask them both to do what Pogba did for France - limit their forward roles to drop in and cover space. They’re both tactically intelligent footballers capable of it. If they can’t throw in a Gallagher or a Wharton for one of them.

Foden, Kane, Saka as a front 3 but in this system have Foden playing a sort of free role where he can go central when needed. If he’s struggling there, go with a Gordon. I’m not a fan of the balance of that three on paper but equally see why you would try and get them in the team as they’re some of our most technical, intelligent footballers.

Will be Rice and Gallagher chugging around the midfield, huffing and puffing - Kane won’t get the ball. Eng never learn. Wharton has to start but he won’t

All leaks point to Trent and Rice.

Be interested to see how that works or doesn’t. Trent is a bit of a mess defensively so makes sense he has Rice next to him however Trent isn’t the type for running a game more a high risk high reward player.

If he was in the NFL he would have the best Hail Mary pass in the whole NFL then be able to do nothing else. Hopefully Bellingham is dropped slightly deeper in a midfield 3.

Sounds like this tournament is going to be

"why didn't he play Wharton!"as if this is the answer to all our problems.

There's always one name who doesn't play who people believe will solve everything

It's been Joe Cole in the past, Theo Walcott, Carrick, Grealish et al.

It's funny that a one capper with 16 premier league starts is seen as a vital cog by so many for this England team.

If he plays well then great, but it will be quite unlike Southgate to put him the starting eleven.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom