England squad

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What would Watkins do lol

England were being pressed back and hemmed in, Kane actually did well in the last 20 mins, winning cheap fouls and holding up the ball, Watkins ain't doing that...

I thought he played well in the second half against physical opposition. He won loads of free-kicks, held it up well and only didn't score because of a ridiculous save. His passing was uncharacteristically sloppy at times but he's always been a slow starter in tournaments. I thought he battled well.

So pretty much what I expected. Still don't see an end to the tournament duck. Nailed Foden utterly ill suited to Gary's powerball. He'd have been better taking Rashford if this is the plan. Ironically Foden's efficacy would increase hugely with a Maddison type to play triangles with. Even so we should be better than this and worrying regression in England's ability to play through the thirds and keep the ball. All pretty predictable. Still 3pts is a great start. Was impressed with the Palace centerback. TAA will get found out.

The most worrying thing was that we ceded massive areas of the pitch to them after about the 65th minute

It looked like we abandoned the midfield as Rice dropped into defence and Gallagher went up top to join the forwards leaving a gaping hole in the middle of the pitch.

Basically, we got away with it tonight and we move on.

Forgot to add that Grealish would have made a HUGE difference in that second half in getting us up the pitch and giving us an out ball. He's the best in the world at what he's good at. Didn't need both Watkins and Toney, Grealish should be in Germany.

The most worrying thing was that we ceded massive areas of the pitch to them after about the 65th minute

It looked like we abandoned the midfield as Rice dropped into defence and Gallagher went up top to join the forwards leaving a gaping hole in the middle of the pitch.

Basically, we got away with it tonight and we move on.

I agree with everything up to the got away with it bit. I feel like to get away with something you need to have given up chances. We used the ball terribly for sure, but we also defended any situation they created brilliantly.

Some credit needs to be given for this. A team with two very good centre forwards didn't have a single moment that made me nervous in 90 minutes other than a desperate shot from distance. We contained very successfully.

Its obvious that decision will bite us in the ass

Eze won't get a kick this tournament unless there's injuries. I just don't undertstand it. Sure, Grealish didn't have as good a season last time out for City but he would have still come in and done exactly what he's always done. If anything, the fact that he didn't play as much football last season should have meant he's nice and fresh for this tournament.

We won the game today because of a defence that was supposedly going to be our weakness. While it was only one game and there'll be even bigger tests to come, that's the biggest positive I will take from tonight along with a vital 3 points which takes a lot of pressure off our shoulders.

Job done. Now show more in attack against the Danes, who I struggle to believe will be better than Serbia based on the games today.

While it's not his favoured position, Joe Gomez is actually perfectly adequate there. But obviously Southgate has a hard on for Trippier and always has done.

It really needs to be someone naturally left footed though. It leaves the team too unbalanced, and means the opposition can just squeeze every attack through the middle or right.

It really needs to be someone naturally left footed though. It leaves the team too unbalanced, and means the opposition can just squeeze every attack through the middle or right.

Well I think by the time the Slovenia game comes around, Shaw will be back in the team. He's always done great for England so don't think him missing a lot of football will stop him from being a massive upgrade on Trippier.

What would Watkins do lol

England were being pressed back and hemmed in, Kane actually did well in the last 20 mins, winning cheap fouls and holding up the ball, Watkins ain't doing that...

Kane was fighting v 3 CBs all night and in that context did well.

Oppo fear him. It's up to the other attackers to expolit the space and scraps he leaves behind.

Watkins is not suited to Gary plod-ball.

We looked unbalanced for a lot of the game and the Serbia coach tactically out did Southgate in the second half.

Thier passing in the final third was awful and whilst we defended what we had to well, they couldn't have made it easier for us to.

We looked unbalanced for a lot of the game and the Serbia coach tactically out did Southgate in the second half.

Thier passing in the final third was awful and whilst we defended what we had to well, they couldn't have made it easier for us to.

The good news is that Shaw will come into the side at some point and make us considerably more balanced. Wharton should be given a chance and can also make a considerable difference with his crisp and positive passing. The players are there if he uses them.

Back
Top Bottom