England squad

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Well I think by the time the Slovenia game comes around, Shaw will be back in the team. He's always done great for England so don't think him missing a lot of football will stop him from being a massive upgrade on Trippier.

Southgate needed to find another back up solution to Shaw/Chillwell though - there are players like Mitchell playing well enough at their clubs to provide it. You just can't rely on Shaw to be fit.

Or you try things out in qualification to see what other things you can come up with, maybe Branthwaite.

If you really want to mix things up set up a few 'B' fixtures and try players entirely out of position.

England will be fine. They tend to get better as tournaments progress so getting three points against Serbia, who just wanted to kick lumps out of them, is good enough. No need for mass tinkering.

They might target him but defensibly he's usually fine. The problem he brings is constantly cutting back in field, while also not helping Foden to shine. Despite them losing and Denmark getting a draw in their game, I was more impressed by Serbia than anything I saw from Denmark. They're never an easy team to win and look great against but I think we'll look better against them than we did last night. Bellingham especially should have far too much athleticism and strength for a midfield that includes Eriksen and Hojbjerg,

Yeah the group will be tight. The Serbia v Denmark game will be an interesting one for sure. I couldn’t call our Denmark game, I wouldn’t be surprised if it ended up a draw, both teams are fairly uninspiring. That would probably be fine in the context of the group but another lacklustre performance won’t sit well with fans.

Yeah the group will be tight. The Serbia v Denmark game will be an interesting one for sure. I couldn’t call our Denmark game, I wouldn’t be surprised if it ended up a draw, both teams are fairly uninspiring. That would probably be fine in the context of the group but another lacklustre performance won’t sit well with fans.

I'll be the first to criticise if we play in the same manner again. I just expect and think we will be better. Last night always had the makings of a tricky opener, all the pressure and expectation was on us which can do funny things to teams. I think a hard fought win in which we answered a lot of questions defensively will stand us in good stead from here on in. But now we want to see more goals and lots more chances created in the next two games.

I'll be the first to criticise if we play in the same manner again. I just expect and think we will be better. Last night always had the makings of a tricky opener, all the pressure and expectation was on us which can do funny things to teams. I think a hard fought win in which we answered a lot of questions defensively will stand us in good stead from here on in. But now we want to see more goals and lots more chances created in the next two games.

I’ve just read some ten hag quotes on the game (he also says shaw will be fit to start after the group games) and he’s nailed it with Southgate here…

It’s the vision of the manager [Southgate],” Ten Hag said.

“England will take a 1-0 lead, then he [Southgate] decides to start gambling with making his team compact and relying on moments for the remaining minutes of the game.”

England will be fine. They tend to get better as tournaments progress so getting three points against Serbia, who just wanted to kick lumps out of them, is good enough. No need for mass tinkering.

They 'tend to' struggle through group games like last night, take early knockout rounds into extra time and then go out to a more rested team in the QF's.

They 'tend to' struggle through group games like last night, take early knockout rounds into extra time and then go out to a more rested team in the QF's.

Southgate's record is a semi, then a final, then a QF. He certainly needs to deliver but he's better than the so-called Golden Generation of the 2000s.

On a sidenote, the biggest news outlet in France, L'Equipe, gave John Stones a match rating of 3 out of 10 this morning I noticed, stating he made blunder after blunder. Like what the actual fuck? It's mental how differently we can all see football at times. I thought he was excellent, as he usually is.

I'd like to know what our French compatriot LeParisien LeParisien makes of this!

I'd go for a draw with Denmark, though tbh, if we play like last night, they could well beat us. They were pretty neck and neck in the last Euros 3 year ago

On a sidenote, the biggest news outlet in France, L'Equipe, gave John Stones a match rating of 3 out of 10 this morning I noticed, stating he made blunder after blunder. Like what the actual fuck? It's mental how differently we can all see football at times. I thought he was excellent, as he usually is.

I'd like to know what our French compatriot LeParisien LeParisien makes of this!
Stones was decent yes. He was a 6 or 7 for me. No one deserved a 3

They're really building Bellingham up just to wait for that moment where they can tear him down.

When's the last time someone was so hyped up going into a tournament? Rooney in 2004? And even then, if he didn't get injured they probably would have blamed him for something had we not won it.

Even when Kane got the Golden boot at a World Cup they belittled it by saying he scored against no one good and should have passed to Sterling.

L’équipe is famously tough for ratings. Bellingham was MoM and got a 7. The next highest player got a 6. Only a small number of players has ever got a 10.

Stones wasn’t really tested but there were several times when he didn’t look assured. If you didn’t know it was Stones then there’d be more questions than answers after that display.

However he has been isolating all week and he’s barely played since March. He’ll continue to not be tested too much until the QF so he’ll have time to grow into the tournament.

L’équipe is famously tough for ratings. Bellingham was MoM and got a 7. The next highest player got a 6. Only a small number of players has ever got a 10.

Stones wasn’t really tested but there were several times when he didn’t look assured. If you didn’t know it was Stones then there’d be more questions than answers after that display.

However he has been isolating all week and he’s barely played since March. He’ll continue to not be tested too much until the QF so he’ll have time to grow into the tournament.

There's tough and then there's retarded...

Look forward to seeing how they rate their own players later this evening.

Macaulay Culkin Reaction GIF by Laff

There's tough and then there's retarded...
The nunbers are completely arbitrary - what matters are the relative ratings. Add one or subtract one from the ratings and you can justify them. Without a clear rubric it’s all just made up.

For what it’s worth, in France we tend to give lower marks generally; from sports ratings to grades at school to presidential favourability.

Back
Top Bottom