England squad

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Bottom line: a team with world class attacking riches struggles to score from open play with a manager that can't manage in-game.

It's one game. They didn't struggle to score in the last tournament before exiting against tournament favourites France. We scored 13 goals in 5 games, only one of them being a penalty.

If we struggle to score and create against Denmark and Slovenia then everyone will have every right to complain.

I seriously hope that if/when Southgate has them play the same way against the Danes and likely get less than a win, that you don't continue to defend this shite.

If we lose the game I’ll be very angry. If we win it I’m not going to go mental over a poor performance but another win in a major tournament.

These group stages are about getting to the next stage, not entertaining anybody. There were things I liked and things I disliked against Serbia. I would like to see improvements on the bits I didn’t like but I won’t pretend I thought the performance was terrible.

It's one game. They didn't struggle to score in the last tournament before exiting against tournament favourites France. We scored 13 goals in 5 games, only one of them being a penalty.

If we struggle to score and create against Denmark and Slovenia then everyone will have every right to complain.

WTF why can't people complain now? 😆

Surely you critique on a game to game basis, if England played well and people were praising them then no-one's gonna be policing opinions.

It's one game.

Stop gaslighting......

It's not.

I've posted all the stats in the past.......... The patterns go back as far as pre Euro-2021.

They didn't struggle to score in the last tournament before exiting against tournament favourites France. We scored 13 goals in 5 games, only one of them being a penalty.

They already do.

.....I'd rather people admitted that these are the kind of performances and traits in play that typify the majority of Gary's England games when they're not putting 10 past San Marino.

All the excuses for him have run dry (some time ago arguably); yet it's always "ahh, but they're just friendlies", "Nation's league means nothing", "aah, but we won", "something something a semi and a final" whilst ignoring the recurrent, underlying problems.

.......You wait; the excuse story of this tournament will be "He was brave with his squad selection; but it will hold us in great stead for the world cup".

Bottom line: a team with world class attacking riches struggles to score from open play with a manager that can't manage in-game.

6 past Iran, 3 past Wales, 3 past Senegal, then in qualifying, 5 past Italy over two games in qualifying, before that 7 past Macedonia etc..

Of course amongst that plenty of low scores when we were out of form as no team will be in form throughout an entire qualifying campaign or during an entire tournament but erm ... why do we sort of ignore the other stuff when it comes to Southgate?

I thought in the last world cup we scored shit loads, we then played in a way nobody expected vs France and had most of the play, but Kane missed a pen, we went out and oh yeah .. Southgate got the same kind of criticism anyway.

WTF why can't people complain now? 😆

Surely you critique on a game to game basis, if England played well and people were praising them then no-one's gonna be policing opinions.

Criticising aspects of the game and performance is fine. I've done so myself. But the doom and gloom merchants are annoying as fuck.

We won despite a fair few players being nowhere near their best. We kept a clean sheet against a more than useful attack. We conceded ONE shot target in 90 minutes. And despite Serbia being given praise for keeping the ball well, we still finished the game having edged the possession, and with a higher pass completion rate. Not to mention there was some excellent individual performances.... Bellingham, Rice, Guehi.

It was hardly the disaster some are making it out to be.

Criticising aspects of the game and performance is fine. I've done so myself. But the doom and gloom merchants are annoying as fuck.

We won despite a fair few players being nowhere near their best. We kept a clean sheet against a more than useful attack. We conceded ONE shot target in 90 minutes And despite Serbia being given praise for keeping the ball well, we still finished the game having edged the possession and with a higher pass completion rate. Not to mention there was some excellent individual performances.... Bellingham, Rice, Guehi.

Happy clap delusional merchants are equally as annoying, just let people vent ffs.

We won despite a fair few players being nowhere near their best. We kept a clean sheet against a more than useful attack. We conceded ONE shot target in 90 minutes. And despite Serbia being given praise for keeping the ball well, we still finished the game having edged the possession, and with a higher pass completion rate. Not to mention there was some excellent individual performances.... Bellingham, Rice, Guehi.

It was hardly the disaster some are making it out to be.

It's not being a doom & gloom merchant to correctly point out that England's problems are being caused by the manager and that they've been evident for a long time.

The "it's just one game" card is implying untrue.

You acting as a 'crash' barrier for cvriticism of Southgate just denies justified criticism being afford the traction it deserves.

It is EXACTLY what Cundy was doing on TalkSPort last night.... But he's being PAID to be a contrarian to keep the debate alive.

I too think there were a few very good individual performances last night..... The problem is the team is only going to get by on individual brilliance and yet the manager is actually neutralising them when eg Bellingham does play a blinder.

It's not being a doom & gloom merchant to correctly point out that England's problems are being caused by the manager and that they've been evident for a long time.

The "it's just one game" card is implying untrue.

You acting as a 'crash' barrier for cvriticism of Southgate just denies justified criticism being afford the traction it deserves.

It is EXACTLY what Cundy was doing on TalkSPort last night.... But he's being PAID to be a contrarian to keep the debate alive.

I too think there were a few very good individual performances last night..... The problem is the team is only going to get by on individual brilliance and yet the manager is actually neutralising them when eg Bellingham plays a blinder.

I don't even rate Southgate. Who would?

I just don't see how people are so concerned about a nervy opening game we won. Winning when you can play much better has never been a bad thing in football. I'm confident we'll put in better performance against the Danes, who I also don't think are a better team than Serbia, though until they play each other and we see who progresses nobody can say for sure.

I don't even rate Southgate. Who would?

I just don't see how people are so concerned about a nervy opening game we won.

Cos that's generally HOW the manager manifests this team.

FFS.... It's NOT "just one game".

Unlike the WC; there is no Iran or Panama for us to stat-pad and put 6 past in this competition.

Our best players are fighting against the tide of Southgate-ball.....

Cos that's generally HOW the manager manifests this team.

FFS.... It's NOT "just one game".

Unlike the WC; there is no Iran or Panama for us to stat-pad and put 6 past in this competition.

Our best players are fighting against the tide of Southgate-ball.....

RicharliSon RicharliSon - You're in denial.

The only way this team has a meaningful tournament is IF Gary surpasses himself.

RicharliSon RicharliSon - You're in denial.

The only way this team has a meaningful tournament is IF Gary surpasses himself.

Not in denial at all! It's not like I'm screaming from the rooftops that it's coming home. I don't even agree with Southgate's squad, there's at least 4 players I think he should have taken that he didn't.

But ultimately a win is a win and I know we're capable of more as the tournament progresses.

Back
Top Bottom