England squad

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Kane is not a pure penalty box striker, he drops deep and acts as a playmaker as well.Foden does similar for City. Bellingham now does that for England.Kane needs to be dropped at the moment as does Trent. Why the hell is Shaw there if he is injured and having been out for months can’t be match fit.

View: https://x.com/Euro24Hub/status/1804106119133979051?t=sigrgQyqOpBog46NQ2RjMQ&s=19

Think Roy Hodgson GIF by DAZN

View: https://x.com/jamiecobain97/status/1724431731984388536?s=46&t=Zr__ObRcjqxF616P03tagg

I don't really think anyone has an issue with the overall job he's done since he took over, it's more his outdated tactics that get found out and for which he has no answer to.
I have an issue with the job he’s done. He has zero strategic planning and is devoid of ideas. Most of the games are against countries like Lower Slobovia and everyone is happy because we beat them 5 zip but as soon as we play any team that is halfway decent we look like 5 pounds of shit in a 4 pound bag ! Let’s face it we are flat track bullies!!!

I don’t see much reason to get over excited by Eze, but that’s likely me ( I’ve seen the likes of Ginola and can see the difference and I am spoilt by such ) However, he is clearly a decent player.

If the better players don’t have credible pressure on them from below, then the incentives do lessen, call it the Spurs squad effect. You do need pressure on your position and often as a tournament advances a player breaks through, maybe it will be one of the Palace guys, but Palace had a decent end of season, not a decent season and that’s why I don’t think the credibility is there.

If it’s reasonable to have the better players from the smaller clubs, fair enough, but then why the utter shambles that is the Luke Shaw situation, there are 24 clubs in the Championship for example that might well have credible left sided defenders. A stretch in thinking of course, but why not ?

Our depth is pretty good, especially compared to other teams. France maybe a stand out here but Germany, Italy, Spain etc have lots of backs ups playing for ‘small’ clubs. Spain have brought on Ayoze Perez a couple of times, whereas Cole Palmer hasn’t got a kick yet.

The issue is tactics, coaching and probably a sprinkling of being vulnerable in a couple of positions. Left back situation is dire. But Bowen, Eze and Watkins are three good subs to be able to turn to imo. 99% of countries would kill to have them.

And yeah, I agree. The shaw situation is symbolic of Southgate’s stubbornness. Another left back needed to be coming to the tournament.

England will change the system and a few players then spank Slovenia, heading into the proper end of the tournament with a renewed confidence.

Think we will be a hard side for anyone to beat which makes us a dangerous opponent. Even after these poor performances, we aren't a side anyone will want to meet in the knockouts.

The only thing that's surprised me about these group games is the surprised reaction of everyone that's we're doing what we always do in the group phase.. crawling through.

England will change the system and a few players then spank Slovenia, heading into the proper end of the tournament with a renewed confidence.

Think we will be a hard side for anyone to beat which makes us a dangerous opponent. Even after these poor performances, we aren't a side anyone will want to meet in the knockouts.

The only thing that's surprised me about these group games is the surprised reaction of everyone that's we're doing what we always do in the group phase.. crawling through.

Never before have we looked this disorganised and undercooked in previous tournaments hence the reaction

I have an issue with the job he’s done. He has zero strategic planning and is devoid of ideas. Most of the games are against countries like Lower Slobovia and everyone is happy because we beat them 5 zip but as soon as we play any team that is halfway decent we look like 5 pounds of shit in a 4 pound bag ! Let’s face it we are flat track bullies!!!

That's not true though. We've beat some good teams regardless of them "being in transition". The likes of Germany, Italy and Croatia aren't mugs. We haven't lost to Germany since 2017, Croatia since 2018 and have beaten Italy twice since the Euros final. We lost to France in the World Cup last time out and played pretty damn well, their own manager even admitting they were a little fortunate to win the game.

If you forget about these last couple of games, which have been horrendous, we've clearly been a competitive and hard team to beat, and also one that generally dispatches the teams we should be beating comfortably, which hasn't always been the case in tournament football.

Last edited:

Agree mostly with what you say. 4 points from 6 is no disaster or even close. Serbia are a tricky game if you don't play near to your best, and Denmark are a very solid team. But the performances have clearly been a million miles away from what we should be capable of and the reasons why are pretty obvious to everyone.

Maybe it's blind optimism, but I genuinely think we will see a reaction against Slovenia and put in our best performance by a distance, giving us confidence in the last 16 against what should be a very beatable team. It only takes one good win or performance in football to change things. Performances have been rotten so far but I'll take a very slow and turgid start over looking great for a couple of games early on and then shitting the best suddenly when it matters the most.

If Southgate stops being an arse and shows a bit more faith in our younger players I think we can still have a very decent tournament. We can't play much worse than we are doing at the moment, but we're still unbeaten, and we're also very likely to top the group.

Last edited:
Never before have we looked this disorganised and undercooked in previous tournaments hence the reaction

Southgate is a very limited manager but he kept it limited in prior tournaments. Sit deep with Maguire getting every header, boot it upto Kane who passes it through to Sterling or Rashford who score. He now has a team of ballers in Foden, Palmer, Wharton etc and has zero idea how to use technical players in a possession team. He is totally out of his depth with a talented squad, he needs cloggers like Henderson and Philips.

For those saying Kane, Foden and Palmer can’t play together. Pep tried to buy Kane, it was his first choice over Haaland you can bet a million pound Pep would have had Kane and Foden like a machine at Man City.

Kane, Foden, Palmer, Bellingham would all easily be able to play together under Pep or heck even under a pound shop Pep like Potter. The next manager has to have a style of play and one that reflects modern football with the players we have. Cloggerball from Southgate doesn’t fit our squad anymore. English football has changed but England and the FA are stuck in a time warp.

For those saying Kane, Foden and Palmer can’t play together. Pep tried to buy Kane, it was his first choice over Haaland you can bet a million pound Pep would have had Kane and Foden like a machine at Man City.

Kane, Foden, Palmer, Bellingham would all easily be able to play together under Pep or heck even under a pound shop Pep like Potter. The next manager has to have a style of play and one that reflects modern football with the players we have. Cloggerball from Southgate doesn’t fit our squad anymore. English football has changed but England and the FA are stuck in a time warp.

I agree with most of this but as much as it pains me to say it I think Saka offers more than Foden.

It’s as simple as this… there are 92 teams in the premier league to league two. Name one fanbase that would be happy to have Southgate come in as coach………
He is a spoofer who has been out of his dept for years. He is the reason England will not win. Not the players.

Southgate is a very limited manager but he kept it limited in prior tournaments. Sit deep with Maguire getting every header, boot it upto Kane who passes it through to Sterling or Rashford who score. He now has a team of ballers in Foden, Palmer, Wharton etc and has zero idea how to use technical players in a possession team. He is totally out of his depth with a talented squad, he needs cloggers like Henderson and Philips.

I don't know why he carried on if he knew he couldn't progress the team

Yes Declan..... You're all playing like headless chickens because you 'care too much'

:avbshit:

I think this is where Southgate's management leads though - everything is all about PR, saying the right thing, taking the knee and the feels. Tactics and a ruthless winning mentality are way down on the list of priorities.

Pep's plan seemed to be Foden Kane Grealish.

Which I don't think England have ever once started a game with.

But what does he know.

Pep's plan seemed to be Foden Kane Grealish.

Which I don't think England have ever once started a game with.

But what does he know.

Funnily enough, when checking out what Foden had ever actually achieved in an England shirt in his 40 odd caps. A game against Iceland popped up from a few years back. (Foden scored twice)

4-0 win.

Foden and Grealish playing behind Kane.
England playing a back 3 with Saka as LWB.
Walker CB with Trippier at RWB

Funnily enough, when checking out what Foden had ever actually achieved in an England shirt in his 40 odd caps. A game against Iceland popped up from a few years back. (Foden scored twice)

4-0 win.

Foden and Grealish playing behind Kane.
England playing a back 3 with Saka as LWB.
Walker CB with Trippier at RWB

And we know what a notoriously tricky team Iceland are......

Southgate can just tweak his current lineup and things would look a fair bit better in my opinion.

He's tried Trent in midfield,it isn't working. So drop him to the bench. Move Bellingham back next to Rice. Play Foden at number ten. Keep Kane upfront but put someone with pace on the left side of attack, probably Gordon. Give that a go in the last group game, see how it goes, we will probably get a result regardless.

Pickford
Walker Stones Guehi Trippier*
Bellingham Rice
Saka Foden Gordon
Kane

*Try and get Shaw some minutes if he is able.

Back
Top Bottom