England squad

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

There are structural issues off the ball that need sorting out, Southgate needs to decide whether he wants the team to commit to a high press or a mid block, it seems like the players are doing both or neither which is leading a lot of gaps and making us easy to play through.

If he wants to commit to a high press then I don't think Kane can play, he's better off getting Watkins in there to lead it, if he wants to sit in a mid block then Kane is fine for that.

Also Foden coming in from the left in this setup is broken because there's generally no rotations with anyone else. When Foden comes in Bellingham is meant to rotate with him and go on the left but they're both staying in the middle so when we lose the ball the left side has a massive gaphing hole leaving Trippier exposed, it's actually hilarious.

I actually think there's a bit of genuine rivalry between Bellingham and Foden in the team, neither are really respecting each others spaces and it looks like both players want to be the main men but they're just getting in each others way.

Last edited:
I agree with most of this but as much as it pains me to say it I think Saka offers more than Foden.

Foden is a better technical player than Saka (not saying Saka isn’t fantastic on the ball), Saka is more explosive, both are elite. I don’t think Pep would swap Foden for Saka but Saka is more useful as a traditional winger than Foden which is how Southgate plays. Foden is basically a Bernardo Silva Iberian style player who happens to be a chav from Manchester.

Our front line has the top scorer in the bundesliga, the top scoring midfielder in La Liga, the two highest scoring midfielders in the prem

Between Kane, Foden, Palmer and Bellingham alone we have 96 league goals last year in the top 3 leagues in the world. Crazy how a manager can take that talent and deliver what we are seeing.

Our front line has the top scorer in the bundesliga, the top scoring midfielder in La Liga, the two highest scoring midfielders in the prem

Between Kane, Foden, Palmer and Bellingham alone we have 96 league goals last year in the top 3 leagues in the world. Crazy how a manager can take that talent and deliver what we are seeing.

Half of the outfield line up against Denmark were all Champions League winners. Two of the other players that made up the team were a striker who is his nations top ever goalscorer and a midfielder that cost 100m.

It's quite comical really.

Just goes to show that if you don't have balance in a team and a clear plan for players to follow, all the best players in the world won't get you where you want to be. It's like having a fantastic sports car in a race that's much quicker and better than most, but asking Stevie Wonder to drive it.

Southgate can handle gritty, workmanlike players like Henderson, Phillips and Mount. It's why he has loved them all so much. But he has no idea what to do with flair players, technical players, such as Foden, Palmer, Mainoo etc. These players are way beyond his capabilities.

I don’t like the criticism Kane is getting. He is being told to play as far forward as possible but then gets no service apart from Pickford hoofs. Even the goal he got yesterday only came to him via deflections.
More should be made of Pickford

I’ve always hated him - he’s erratic and jumpy, and shouts at himself and the pidgeons but it’s amazing how old fashioned his footwork is compared to GK’s like Vicario, Ederson etc. he never plays risky passes and breaks lines, the thick northern inbred just fucking booms the ball long. He’s awful, truly awful

I’ve always hated him - he’s erratic and jumpy, and shouts at himself and the pidgeons but it’s amazing how old fashioned his footwork is compared to GK’s like Vicario, Ederson etc. he never plays risky passes and breaks lines, the thick northern inbred just fucking booms the ball long. He’s awful, truly awful

He’s a bit of a mess but our selection of keepers is like going shopping in Poundland. We’ve come a long way in developing certain players but we’re still horrendous at producing a genuinely good, reliable goalkeeper.

Pickford is a competent shot stopper but plays like he’s snorted a line before every game. He makes me nervous. God knows how nervous he makes the players.

He’s a bit of a mess but our selection of keepers is like going shopping in Poundland. We’ve come a long way in developing certain players but we’re still horrendous at producing a genuinely good, reliable goalkeeper.

Pickford is a competent shot stopper but plays like he’s snorted a line before every game. He makes me nervous. God knows how nervous he makes the players.
Yep

I was in row 10 of the south stand this season and saw and him heard his deranged ADHD antics up close. Was amazing

BUT my point is this isn’t the main issue, it’s the booming long balls bypassing everyone. He’s a handicap to good attacking g footballers, exactly like fellow northern scrote Trippier, arguably Roce and Walker too

It's just astonishing that they're happy to criticise the countries all time top goalscorer and arguably the best striker in world football.

Yet seem absolutely against forming any sort of criticsm for the £100m central midfielder who will do absolutely everything in his power to not pass forward. It's a massive problem.

You have a defensively shambolic right back with zero awareness partnering a player who's allergic to actually playing football and we wonder why our offence falls short.

It's just astonishing that they're happy to criticise the countries all time too goalscorer and arguably the best striker in world football.

Yet seem absolutely against forming any sort of criticsm for the £100m central midfielder who will do absolutely everything in his power to not pass forward.
It’s not just Rice at fault for that, but you are right he’s a massive problem - loads of them fault to responsibility and just drill it into Kane early. His touch and awareness is class, at worst he will win a free kick

It's just astonishing that they're happy to criticise the countries all time too goalscorer and arguably the best striker in world football.

Yet seem absolutely against forming any sort of criticsm for the £100m central midfielder who will do absolutely everything in his power to not pass forward.

Rice is unbelievable at a few things and very average at other.

Elite
- ball carrying
- tracking runners (maybe the best in the whole Prem)
- pressing

Average
- passing
- press resistance

His profile is Roy Keane like, obviously United had Scholes next to Keane who covered Keane’s weaknesses. At Woolwich Rice is a Ball winning 8 with Jorginho/Partey the deep lying playmakers.

We could instantly fix this with Wharton at 6 who is an elite deep lying playmaker in a 3 man midfield with Bellingham.

Again it’s a Southgate issue. He is a chef and should understand the ingredients he is cooking with. If you are expecting Rice to be your creator even from deep you are fucked.

thick northern inbred

Spit Take GIF

Rice is unbelievable at a few things and very average at other.

Elite
- ball carrying
- tracking runners (maybe the best in the whole Prem)
- pressing

Average
- passing
- press resistance

His profile is Roy Keane like, obviously United had Scholes next to Keane who covered Keane’s weaknesses. At Woolwich Rice is a Ball winning 8 with Jorginho/Partey the deep lying playmakers.

We could instantly fix this with Wharton at 6 who is an elite deep lying playmaker in a 3 man midfield with Bellingham.

Again it’s a Southgate issue. He is a chef and should understand the ingredients he is cooking with. If you are expecting Rice to be your creator even from deep you are fucked.

100%

And I'm not saying Rice, in isolation, is the problem.

Just not sure why pundits are so quick to jump on Kane (despite him likely following instruction) but not Rice, who's continuously slowing down the play or being so negative on the ball. (who again is likely just following instruction).

I'd argue based on price tag and reputation, Rice has been top 3 worst performers for England this tournament so far. But we'd also put that down to system and Southgate.

Rice isn't good enough as a footballer to play a different role to what he should be playing.

100%

And I'm not saying Rice, in isolation, is the problem.

Just not sure why pundits are so quick to jump on Kane (despite him likely following instruction) but not Rice, who's continuously slowing down the play or being so negative on the ball. (who again is likely just following instruction).

I'd argue based on price tag and reputation, Rice has been top 3 worst performers for England this tournament so far. But we'd also put that down to system and Southgate.

Rice isn't good enough as a footballer to play a different role to what he should be playing.

You could go thought the half the team

Stones: used to playing out from the back
Trippier: a right back playing the wrong side
Rice: not a deep lying playmaker
Foden: not a left winger but a rotating technical wizard
Gallagher: a pressing machine in a team that doesn’t press
Kane: world’s best 9 with no service
Trent: a offensive right back playing as a CM

This is 100% on Southgate, you are handicapping more than half the team. I would give Southgate 0/10 for his managerial/coaching performance, it’s abysmal.

Back
Top Bottom