England squad

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

B-b-but I thought Southgate was the English Conte.

He really is a shocking manager.

Being carried to respectable finishes in tournaments by world class players does not make you a good manager.

The sooner English football is rid of this fraud, the better.

Being carried to respectable finishes in tournaments by world class players does not make you a good manager.

Hope we can get graham potter into the England job. He's got a track record of being the kind of open minded team spirit focused management, but he actually has a style that would suit England.

Indeed. Let's be honest, if he were to quit tonight there would hardly be a queue of Prem teams scrambling for his services.

A very conservative, safety first, beige manager. Like a lot of his predecessors sadly.

He's done a good job. Repaired relationship between fans & team, handled the media very well, clearly improved the atmosphere within the England squad too. But I think after this world cup (he'll definitely get that) it should be time to move on to someone capable of taking that step up & getting the best out of some of the attacking players.

But the question is who, really. We'll go with an English coach for sure & there really are very few good ones out there .. even fewer who will be available.

He's done a good job. Repaired relationship between fans & team, handled the media very well, clearly improved the atmosphere within the England squad too. But I think after this world cup (he'll definitely get that) it should be time to move on to someone capable of taking that step up & getting the best out of some of the attacking players.

But the question is who, really. We'll go with an English coach for sure & there really are very few good ones out there .. even fewer who will be available.
What if he wins the world cup?

Who would you have take over?
Fuck me, it’s a sad day if we think that Gareth Southgate, failed domestic manager whose managerial career highlight before getting the England job was getting Middlesbrough relegated is the best man for the England job.

I’d genuinely rather have a 98 year old Harry Redknapp as England manager than have to put up with Southgate’s shitefest football.

Southgate seems to value personalities a lot. He's a leader so gets picked. Similar with a few others.

I get having him as part of the squad because of what he brings to the dressing room perhaps, but for me he shouldn't be starting games, even Nations League games.

I get having him as part of the squad because of what he brings to the dressing room, but for me he shouldn't be starting games, even Nations League games.

I think we've got a few defenders out. Personally if we're going with the 5 I'd probably go Stones, Dier & Tomori .. although I do like Walker in the RCB role.

But it's all moot anyway as I don't think personnel is the issue. We managed to make TAA & James (the two top RB prospects in the world) look poor. It's amazing.

southgate.png

Fuck me, it’s a sad day if we think that Gareth Southgate, failed domestic manager whose managerial career highlight before getting the England job was getting Middlesbrough relegated is the best man for the England job.

I’d genuinely rather have a 98 year old Harry Redknapp as England manager than have to put up with Southgate’s shitefest football.
"just fackin run around a bit" would probably work better. The players know what to do, just set up the basic formation and tactics.

Southgate is shackling them.

Last two major comps -> semi final losers -> final losers... progression?

Sure, you can argue that.

But tournaments are a hard way to gauge genuine progression as it's dependent a lot on draws/individual performances etc. I think playing effectively at home in the Euros was a factor, as was a lot of superior talent emerging.

I'm not sure the quality of football has improved under Southgate much since he took over.

Never believe the ridiculous 'Southgate has done a brilliant job' narrative some media are still pushing. The guy is a very very average manager. PR wise he might have done a decent job.

Southgate still has taken England further than most other managers in the last few decades. People getting needlessly dramatic over game decided by 1 penalty. .

Back
Top Bottom