England v Hungary

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I can understand the argument we lack a world class goalkeeper or a world class possession midfielder like Modric which is obvious so we do lack in certain areas.

But to say we lack in attack is crazy, other than Brazil and France we have on paper probably the strongest attackers of any country in depth. The idea that Pep couldn’t use Kane, Foden, Maddison, Mount, Grealish, Saka etc is laughlable. I mean one of them is a key player in his team and 2 others he is or was trying to buy.

Look at Nuno Spurs vs Conte Spurs, two totally different teams, an attacking manager would have alot to work with.
There's definitely plenty of talent and experience in the England squad now, including arguably the best striker in world football and some mercurial talent in the forward positions. Underperformance is all about the tactics and motivation and that's mostly on the manager.

I can understand the argument we lack a world class goalkeeper or a world class possession midfielder like Modric which is obvious so we do lack in certain areas.

But to say we lack in attack is crazy, other than Brazil and France we have on paper probably the strongest attackers of any country in depth. The idea that Pep couldn’t use Kane, Foden, Maddison, Mount, Grealish, Saka etc is laughlable. I mean one of them is a key player in his team and 2 others he is or was trying to buy.

Look at Nuno Spurs vs Conte Spurs, two totally different teams, an attacking manager would have alot to work with.

It probably won’t happen but I’d love to see Poch have a go

I still can't get over how bad we were. Hungary finished their chances really well to be fair to them and you have to give them a bit of credit. They've drawn and beat us over the last couple of weeks and were also really unlucky to only draw against Germany in Budapest. They are a team that are rapidly improving. But we really were rotten from front to back. The only player that showed any sort of quality was Harry, but he just didn't get the ball anything like enough and when he did, it was always far from goal.

I know some people here think I've got a woody for him, but that game never finishes 0-4 if Declan Rice is on the pitch. Sure, Hungary might still win the game. But we would never have got countered as we did. Phillips was hopeless and looked every bit a player that had missed most of last season. Gallagher ran about a lot but offered little in the way of quality. Bellingham, again, was quite poor although he showed the odd glimpse of his ability. But ultimately it's Southgate that has to take most of the responsibility. He's got it terribly wrong in the last couple of weeks and we now need big performances against Italy and Germany when we play them before the World Cup. It might actually suit us a bit more playing good teams and being the underdogs somewhat at the moment.

I still can't get over how bad we were. Hungary finished their chances really well to be fair to them and you have to give them a bit of credit. They've drawn and beat us over the last couple of weeks and were also really unlucky to only draw against Germany in Budapest. They are a team that are rapidly improving. But we really were rotten from front to back. The only player that showed any sort of quality was Harry, but he just didn't get the ball anything like enough and when he did, it was always far from goal.

I know some people here think I've got a woody for him, but that game never finishes 0-4 if Declan Rice is on the pitch. Sure, Hungary might still win the game. But we would never have got countered as we did. Phillips was hopeless and looked every bit a player that had missed most of last season. Gallagher ran about a lot but offered little in the way of quality. Bellingham, again, was quite poor although he showed the odd glimpse of his ability. But ultimately it's Southgate that has to take most of the responsibility. He's got it terribly wrong in the last couple of weeks and we now need big performances against Italy and Germany when we play them before the World Cup. It might actually suit us a bit more playing good teams and being the underdogs somewhat at the moment.

Yeah it's just facts. Phillips is really struggling and honestly I'm not sure including him was right, he probably needed a summer of rest after badly struggling with injuries all season. He was all over the place vs Hungary. Rice is arguably our most important player after Kane currently, simply irreplaceable as nobody else can do that job.

I feel sorry for Bellingham as I've seen real flashes, particularly vs Germany where we at least at a cohesive midfield, but he's an 18 year old being thrown to the Wolves really. The lack of structure in the team has been awful for the entire nations league. Lot of players simply very clearly not fancying the tournament.

England are 12/1 to win the world cup in Qatar.
For those who do not understand betting, that means if you put £10 on England to win at odds off 12/1, you’ll lose £10.

Yeah it's just facts. Phillips is really struggling and honestly I'm not sure including him was right, he probably needed a summer of rest after badly struggling with injuries all season. He was all over the place vs Hungary. Rice is arguably our most important player after Kane currently, simply irreplaceable as nobody else can do that job.

I feel sorry for Bellingham as I've seen real flashes, particularly vs Germany where we at least at a cohesive midfield, but he's an 18 year old being thrown to the Wolves really. The lack of structure in the team has been awful for the entire nations league. Lot of players simply very clearly not fancying the tournament.

He was also playing as our defensive midfielder, where Rice usually plays. Usually when Rice is in the side he plays a bit ahead of him and is more box to box which suits him better for me. Rice is now vital for this England side though. I think he's someone who will get more respect the more times he's missing from our national team due to injury. Him, Kane and Pickford would be my first three choices on the team sheet.

Back
Top Bottom