Eric Dier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We have been left short at CB. Phillips is untested but will possibly get a chance before Dier. However whilst he does not fit the profile of CB wanted by Ange he is better than Sanchez and will have to stay until at least January when we can get someone else in. If someone comes in then either Lloris or Dier are out of the squad but get 2 in and they are both out and his contract expires next summer anyway.

We have been left short at CB. Phillips is untested but will possibly get a chance before Dier. However whilst he does not fit the profile of CB wanted by Ange he is better than Sanchez and will have to stay until at least January when we can get someone else in. If someone comes in then either Lloris or Dier are out of the squad but get 2 in and they are both out and his contract expires next summer anyway.
Hmmmm, not sure about that.

Sanchez has pace and could at least tackle. Dier has neither attribute.

Dier was never ever better than Sanchez
He was. I think ( not that my opinion is worth more than yours )

When in his best form Dier would not have gotten rolled by Solomon Rondon. Whereas Sanchez cannot say the same…

It’s not that long back that Dier was smashing in winning penalties at world cups and making the England squad on a regular basis. I thought he went to WC 2022 but might be wrong.

The drop off in recent years is quite sad, but it happens in football and it does not appear he can compete at the elite level anymore, but there was a time when he certainly did compete at that top level. Dier played 270 first team games for us, which is 130 (ish) more than Sanchez.

Could make valid point for Sanchez I guess, both have around 50 international caps for example, but hopefully you know where I am coming from.

Last edited:
When they were in the team together or ever ever?

Early Poch Dier was better than Sanchez has ever been. Dier is just miles more technically proficient in possession.

Until Dier became Mr. Retreat he was a good player.
As a CB post 2019 they were both mediocre to flat out bad, Dier just had the leadership gimmick protecting him. 15-17 Dier the mobile DM was a good player and yet Poch still saw fit to bring in Wanyama at Dier’s supposed peak. That says it all.

He was. I think ( not that my opinion is worth more than yours )

When in his best form Dier would not have gotten rolled by Solomon Rondon. Whereas Sanchez cannot say the same…

It’s not that long back that Dier was smashing in winning penalties at world cups and making the England squad on a regular basis. I thought he went to WC 2022 but might be wrong.

The drop off in recent years is quite sad, but it happens in football and it does not appear he can compete at the elite level anymore, but there was a time when he certainly did compete at that top level. Dier played 270 first team games for us, which is 130 (ish) more than Sanchez.

Could make valid point for Sanchez I guess, both have around 50 international caps for example, but hopefully you know where I am coming from.
Fair enough - I was talking judging both as CB’s post 2019. Dier could never get rolled because he never bothers to engage anyone to begin with.

Conte hid him in the middle of his back 3, like he did with David Luiz and De Vrij. Davinson’s best year for us was his debut year where he played… in the middle of a back 3.

As a CB post 2019 they were both mediocre to flat out bad, Dier just had the leadership gimmick protecting him. 15-17 Dier the mobile DM was a good player and yet Poch still saw fit to bring in Wanyama at Dier’s supposed peak. That says it all.

No it doesn't.... We changed formation and he began playing in a CB3. He was still clocking up 40+ games per season. The simple fact is that Dier had a horrific 18 months run of illness, injury and surgery 2018 into 2019. Poch never 'dropped' Dier from the moment he arrived.

Also; 21/22 Dier had a good, even if not great, season.......

Nearly 300 games for the club, an important player in the best team we have had since at least the early 1980s, the disrespect put on his name is fucking outrageous.
Simon Cowell Wow GIF by America's Got Talent

But the thing with Poch’s tactics and Dier was that he could play 3 positions credibility and that enabled the team to switch formation in match. Poch’s team had that flexibility, Jose and Conte much less so.

So Jose and Conte used the utility player in a single position. Which perhaps exposed him somewhat, as you say from 2019 onwards. He is being asked to be a stand out centre back, when he was never that to begin with.

No it doesn't.... We changed formation and he began playing in a CB3. He was still clocking up 40+ games per season. The simple fact is that Dier had a horrific 18 months run of illness, injury and surgery 2018 into 2019. Poch never 'dropped' Dier from the moment he arrived.

Also; 21/22 Dier had a good, even if not great, season.......
Thanks to the Amazon documentary, we know that Poch was politely ushering Dier out of the door in summer 2019.

His “good” stint under Conte was because he was hidden in the middle of a back 3. It’s the easiest position in that system IMO, and even that couldn’t save him the next year.

It’s probably because he’s had people blowing smoke up his arse for years that he’s been blindsided by Ange axing him.

No ill will towards the guy, but he was protected for far too long IMO.

Back
Top Bottom