Eric Dier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

tottenham-hotspur-interim-manager-ryan-mason.jpg

Fair play to this guy who saw what needed to be done after the Rashford fiasco.

Tbh I think this says more about ND than ED......Eric's purple patch was brief and long since gone, he initially blossomed when the Chav boss converted him to a DM and quoted a value of circa £50m. We haven't really seen that player since the bulldozers rolled in to knock down the old Lane, I distinctly remember the brainfart moments starting when we played at Wembley (re Liverpool etc) and the deterioration progressed to his current value of circa £50.

Danny Rose had more of a case because at least the defence Jose was picking without him was still leaky, and he was right to point that out. Mourinho could barely look him in the eye because he knew Rose was speaking the truth.

I’d love Ange to read out to Dier the following:

We’ve had 2 clean sheets and conceded 5 in 5 this season.

The last time Dier started and we kept a clean sheet was February 26th (2-0 vs Chelsea).

His last 8 starts we conceded 21 goals.

All whilst him being the so-called “leader” of the back line.

If he can’t accept this, then he is a truly delusional individual devoid of any form of self awareness and self reflection.

I think the fact that Dier last 8 starts we conceded 21 goals is enough proof in the pudding why this shocking excuse of a defender has been frozen out. Ange could see it clearly v Barcelona pre season. I don’t want Dier anywhere near this team. He’s a liability.

Danny Rose had more of a case because at least the defence Jose was picking without him was still leaky, and he was right to point that out. Mourinho could barely look him in the eye because he knew Rose was speaking the truth.

I’d love Ange to read out to Dier the following:

We’ve had 2 clean sheets and conceded 5 in 5 this season.

The last time Dier started and we kept a clean sheet was February 26th (2-0 vs Chelsea).

His last 8 starts we conceded 21 goals.

All whilst him being the so-called “leader” of the back line.

If he can’t accept this, then he is a truly delusional individual devoid of any form of self awareness and self reflection.
He doesn't even deserve a response. It's obvious to every Spurs fan and their dog that Dier isn't good enough. If he can't see it now, he never will.

Found this bit of news from the history books of Ange.

Apparently, he ended the career of the Socceroos captain before the World Cup and it has shades of Dier (delusions of grandeur etc.)

I imagine it's now up to Levy to negotiate Dier's exit from the club.

He was a bit upset he wasn't picked as captain and completely left out.

Like I say, rumours. So who knows.

Not even rumour..... Just fans BS-reacting to the video we all saw.... Allegedly Dier reacted really badly to the captain/VCs announcement; despite the fact that you actually only saw a split second of the back of his head in the clip.

Last edited:
Dier played for England in the World Cup Dec 22.

2 apps. Both times the game was already won.
20mins v Iran to rest Maguire when we were already 5-1 up.
14mins v Senegal > Scoreline was already 3-0.

I've got no time for un-necessarily hating on Dier, but you are ridiculous. You said a week or two again that he was the 2nd fasted player in the squad and then posted a link to 2015 for proof.

🤡🤡🤡🤡

But, but, but......why the fuck would you want to discuss your future after the window has closed? Is the guy a total moron or what?
If he had a few years on his contract that would be one thing. He's not staying here a second longer than his contract, there's no "future" to discuss.

The fact of the matter is that Dier is 29. We are building a new squad and that clearly cannot include older players in key positions. This is especially true of CB's. who are rarely rotated in games and rely on a run of games to maintain timing with their back 4.

Can Dier still be a useful part of the squad - sure. He can play CB, LB and DM if needed - but we don't have a lot of games this season so opportunities will be scarce.

Yes we conceded a lot of goals with Dier in defence last season. But Romero, Royal, Porro were also part of that defence, that had more to do with an unmotivated squad and flawed tactical system.

Where it does become unstuck for Dier is his style of play - something that seems to have been coached into him from Mourinho and Conte. He often stands off the ball and allows the opponent to keep it. He doesn't put on pressure or attempt a tackle - just blocks the passing lanes and maintains defensive shape. Ange expects different from his defenders, he wants pressure and aggression - the downside of this being increased risk of being bypassed by passes/dribbles and risk of fouls.

Turning 30 this year and out of contract, it does seem that time committed to coaching Dier to play the new system may be better spend on a younger CB.

Back
Top Bottom