Europa Conference League 2021/22; potential QR2 vs Honka Espoo

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

How far will we reach?

• Total voters
15 or 17 games till glory.........

Roma and Villareal "look like" the only credible opposition but I can see many frustrating Thursday nights ahead where we scrape a 1 nil win over a bunch of part timers or are held to a boring crappy draw.

And then the manager comes out with stuff like "There are no easy games in modern football......"

Remember that teams that do poorly in the Europa League will drop into this competition during the knockout phase. So some more decent teams will be in there later on.

Does this shit show make anyone wish they hadn't been so displeased at us being one of the 12 in the Super League?

This competition is an embarrassment.
I was torn yesterday as to what was more embarrassing, finishing behind Woolwich or playing in this stain on our history.

I'm still torn tbh

Treat it as experience for the younger players at the club, although annoyingly it does mean that we're going to need to keep a bloated squad to cope with the extra games.

Roma and Villarreal are the only 2 good teams.

We probably wouldn't face them until the QF's at the earliest.

You may also get 1 or 2 good teams drop from the EL for whatever reason.

In reality we won't need to play any first teamers until probably the QF'S
Therefore its a competition where despite the banter it:
- Provides the youth with minutes
- Keeps our 2nd XI fit and so they can be called upon in the league.
- Away trips for our fans
- Revenue for the club through gate reciepts as well as TV/tournament money

It also means we can still fully concentrate on the league because our first team will probably just stay at home while other go on the away trips etc.. its almost like having no Europe because no strength is required to play these teams until very deep into the competition.

Also a great opportunity for us fans who can't usually get to games to get tickets

There will be a few home legs that will struggle to sell just like there was at WHL can't personally wait to get to the new stadium next season at least once

Who are in the pool of possible opponents in the playoff round?
Not decided yet I think. It will be a mix between the teams in the earlier play off rounds. And some teams dropping down from the EL qualifiers.

It shouldn't be that hard to handle in other words. But following Zagreb it is obvious that we need to take every opponent seriously.

At least we only need to play the one leg instead of three like this season.

Not decided yet I think. It will be a mix between the teams in the earlier play off rounds. And some teams dropping down from the EL qualifiers.

It shouldn't be that hard to handle in other words. But following Zagreb it is obvious that we need to take every opponent seriously.

At least we only need to play the one leg instead of three like this season.
Agreed - we were 8 minutes away going out to Plovdiv - luckily now it's a 2-legged affair

Agreed - we were 8 minutes away going out to Plovdiv - luckily now it's a 2-legged affair
Yup.

You can't build a winning mentality if you take games/teams easily. My biggest gripe with Poch during his tenure was that he acted like the cups and EL did not matter. And now it seems like some of the players feel the same way.

If you want to be a winner you have to want to win everything. I am not saying field our PL 11 in this tournament. But you need to take whatever team you face seriously. They deserve as much.

You'll see. You'll change your mind by the time it comes.

It does sound shit, I can see why, but we made by getting higher than Woolwich, that win vs Leicester was nice if we get far in this tournament, I think we will take it very seriously.

As we should, were not at the moment when we should pick what trophy to win.

I won't lol. the road to tblisi is one our reserve team should be on. I agree on the last point, beggars can't be choosers but i hope we don't take it too seriously.

TBF. The sooner the club realizes this, the sooner we will become successful.

You don't build a successful football club by taking games easily.
That's the problem inherent at Spurs......

We waltz into games like Zagreb as if just turning up is enough and then act all surprised when we get our arses handed to us on a plate.

Europa league is that. This is poor mans version
Europa is the continuation of the Uefa, though a bit easier than in the old days as now more good teams go into the champions league.

The Cup winners cup was always the weakest European competition, just as this new one sees to be.

We won the inaugural Uefa cup and I wouldn't turn my nose up if we won this, we are European pioneers after all. I'll take any European trophy to be honest.

That's the problem inherent at Spurs......

We waltz into games like Zagreb as if just turning up is enough and then act all surprised when we get our arses handed to us on a plate.
Exactly. We deserved to go out to Zagreb because we did not take them seriously. We had already skirted that a few times this season earlier in the campaign against Antwerp, Plovdiv and LASK.

We did it against Gent/Genk during the prime Poch years as well and paid for it. Granted Dele got sent off in one of those games as well.

It looks like they have to play in the stadium from Hertha Berlin / Olympiastadium
This would be a real shame but would actually give the chance for a massive away allocation. I've been to both stadiums and they are both excellent in different ways. Berlin as a whole is also class.

Back
Top Bottom