Europa League 2015/2016

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

For me EL should be bottom of our priorities till the KO stage. As, despite the increased prize money, the costs (including playing too many Sunday games, the difficulties involved in winning it, etc) outweigh the benefits if we treat it as a first/second priority.

Play the youngsters, fringe players, then IF we get past the group stage, re-evaluate.

That strategy for me is a win-win, because we get to use the squad, and they 'earn' their salaries that way. At the same time we can have a proper go at the League Cup (including the final, which I'm still furious about from last time) and the Prem, where the major money is.

I know the LC Final comes after the group stage, but in that case the Final gets priority over EL knockout games,
Nope. Mental.

The huge money is available in two places. Staying in the prem and getting into the CL. We will find it very difficult to beat the present top four in the prem, but we should be able to give the likes of Sevilla a serious fucking shoeing.

We'll make a lot more dough winning the EL and finishing 10th than we will finishing fifth and winning the LC.

frustrated-cameron-o.gif
Now singing Let My Cameron Go.

Fuck sake. It'll be days before I shift that.

I agree with all above.. in it and win it. My concerns are, If UEFA want to continue with this Eurovision song style football contests, it will only dilute the quality of the tournaments. IMO, It will effect (it may be doing so at the moment) the quality of our domestic league and our home trophies.

Hate to say it... but I'm sure in the 'Bad old days' of UEFA CUP football, we still played Thursday nights AND had games on a Saturday too!!! (in the time before Sky decided that Sunday is the new Saturday!)
...plus the 1st Division (that's us, not League 1 kids!) had 22 teams as well didn't it?? That's 4 extra league games a season right there!

Don't get me wrong, I think the Europa League in its current format (with CL dropouts) is a farcical nonsense... but if we can see PAST all that, and actually get to the Quarter/Semi finals and beyond... we may be treated to a couple more famous European nights like Sevilla had last night!
Years may have caused confusion with the football part of my brain, I honestly cant remember playing Thurs nights? Maybe Im allowing these memories to expire so I can rant on about how good it was then?

Sevilla has 4 titles in 10 years now, no? There is no reason why we couldn't be that club. Fucking go for it!
It's depressing, isn't it. One year in the CL has blinded us to the success we could have had in the meantime. There's still time to change that.

I think it is a bit easier for them than us. The aspirations of the club are fixed on this completion, they and their supporters are not focused on qualifying for Champions League position (obtained by La Liga position). They are not expected to compete with Barcalona, Real Madrid and Athleti. La Liga is also not as competitive as the premiere league, the bottom half of that league rarely win against teams in the top 6. They also don't have to play 8 local derbies each year.
BTW not disagreeing, this completion is the part of our glorious history and is the only competitve thing left we can slap in the faces of the scum.
I disagree. Sevilla are expected to push for top 4, very much in competition with Valencia. Of course they have the strong 3 (similar to the Prem), but that last spot is up for grabs, and you can bet your bottom dollar that's their aim at the start of every season.

The difference is, they juggle that expectation with the EL far better than we do.

For me EL should be bottom of our priorities till the KO stage. As, despite the increased prize money, the costs (including playing too many Sunday games, the difficulties involved in winning it, etc) outweigh the benefits if we treat it as a first/second priority.

Play the youngsters, fringe players, then IF we get past the group stage, re-evaluate.

That strategy for me is a win-win, because we get to use the squad, and they 'earn' their salaries that way. At the same time we can have a proper go at the League Cup (including the final, which I'm still furious about from last time) and the Prem, where the major money is.

I know the LC Final comes after the group stage, but in that case the Final gets priority over EL knockout games,
Then we come second in the group again (if we're lucky) and we face a CL dropout in the first KO round, putting our cup run in jeopardy and making the whole thing a waste of time again.

We need to just go for it. 100%. We've got Chelsea on Sunday? I'd rather play a strong team against Saint Etienne on the Thursday thanks and rotate for the league.

Kids aren't going to win us Europa. You're fucking deluded.

I agree with all above.. in it and win it. My concerns are, If UEFA want to continue with this Eurovision song style football contests, it will only dilute the quality of the tournaments. IMO, It will effect (it may be doing so at the moment) the quality of our domestic league and our home trophies.
UEFA will be the center shortly'
FIFA have had the self destruct button pressed on them!

Years may have caused confusion with the football part of my brain, I honestly cant remember playing Thurs nights? Maybe Im allowing these memories to expire so I can rant on about how good it was then?

Shit, I think you're right!! Maybe I was confusing it with the Cup Winners Cup... or maybe all three European Competitions were played on Tues/Weds because TV didn't 'assume' that you'd want to watch a European Cup tie at home on telly, with two teams that weren't the ones you supported, even if your team was playing in the UEFA Cup on the same night and you could've gone to that instead!!

Shit, I think you're right!! Maybe I was confusing it with the Cup Winners Cup... or maybe all three European Competitions were played on Tues/Weds because TV didn't 'assume' that you'd want to watch a European Cup tie at home on telly, with two teams that weren't the ones you supported, even if your team was playing in the UEFA Cup on the same night and you could've gone to that instead!!
I thought they were all on a Wednesday back then. Highlights on Sportsnight IIRC.

If sky had the rights to the Europa peoples impression of the tournament in this country would change almost overnight.

Why it's time for English clubs to start loving the Europa League

As Sevilla defeat Dnipro to lift Europe's other trophy, Martin Cloake argues that England's clubs should drop the attitude over the competition

By Martin Cloake

"To win something and share it with the fans is the greatest feeling in football." Those are the words of Unai Emery, coach of Sevilla. He said that before his team made history on Wednesday night by becoming the first team to win the trophy four times, and the first to retain it twice. And he's right.
It's fashionable, certainly in England, to deride the Europa League. It's 'Europe's second class competition'. As the English Premier League reaches its conclusion, the talk is of the race to avoid the Europa League. Fans and pundits seriously discuss the benefits of teams missing out on a higher league finish in order to avoid the competition. Playing in the Europa, it is said, damages a team's chances of doing well. All of which is complete nonsense.
Make no mistake, the Europa League is a horrible competition. Not only is it a cup competition that is half league, half cup, it's a competition in which teams that get knocked out of another competition get the chance to compete, and one which admits teams from way down national leagues, sometimes for the daftest of reasons. Fair play qualification? Do me a favour.
Its purpose seems to be to give as many clubs as possible the chance to make some money by competing in a Champions League lite, therefore heading off any challenge to the institutionalised supremacy of the Champions League regulars. It has reduced the once-proud UEFA Cup, a competition said by many of those who played in it to be at least as tough as the old European Cup, to a sad shadow of what it was.
But the point of sport is surely to win, or to do as well as possible. So arguing that you win by not doing as well as possible is perverse. In fact, the argument about the benefits of not qualifying for the Europa League is very perverse indeed. Much current wisdom has it that clubs that, because of the increasingly institutionalised nature of the Champions League regulars, have little to no chance of winning the Champions League, need to avoid qualifying for the Europa League so they can increase their chances of qualifying for a competition that they have little to no chance of winning.
It's not exactly Roy of the Rovers, is it?
It's also argued that the Europa League, as a sprawling competition, exerts a greater toll on clubs. More games, you see. More pressure on squads. Except that qualifying for a Europa League group of four presents a team with exactly the same number of group stage games as qualifying for a Champions League group of four. And, arguably, much of the opposition in the Europa League group stages is not as testing.
Of course, it really all comes down to money. The Champions League is the only show in town because it's where the big bucks are. Therefore anything else is not really worth the time. When English clubs and English pundits say the Europa League is a distraction, what they really mean is that they think it's beneath them. It's not really worth bothering about.
All of which is further illustration of the short-sightedness and arrogance that plagues the English game. Gaining experience from playing in Europe is surely better than gaining nothing by not playing in Europe. Clubs such as Spurs and Liverpool, which have been said to have suffered through qualifying for the Europa League, have deep enough squad resources to cope, and any failings in those squads would apply equally in other competitions. And, in any case, there's that question of experience.
This season, many Everton fans have pointed to the club's sustained attempt to compete in the Europa League as a reason for the failure to finish in the top half of the Premier League. But would that squad really have secured a higher league finish? And is there not a longer-term benefit from gaining experience against European opposition to be considered?
The Europa League doesn’t have the glamour or the financial rewards of the Champions League. And regular qualification for the Europa may grate because it underlines the institutional barriers reinforced by the way European competition rewards its top achievers. But it can offer valuable team-building experience and, as Unai Emerey, Sevilla and the 7,000 Sevilla fans present at the final will surely testify, it can also offer the invaluable experience of winning a major tournament.
It’s about time English clubs started looking at what the Europa League can offer, rather than moaning about what it doesn’t.

Why it's time for English clubs to start loving the Europa League

As Sevilla defeat Dnipro to lift Europe's other trophy, Martin Cloake argues that England's clubs should drop the attitude over the competition

By Martin Cloake

"To win something and share it with the fans is the greatest feeling in football." Those are the words of Unai Emery, coach of Sevilla. He said that before his team made history on Wednesday night by becoming the first team to win the trophy four times, and the first to retain it twice. And he's right.
It's fashionable, certainly in England, to deride the Europa League. It's 'Europe's second class competition'. As the English Premier League reaches its conclusion, the talk is of the race to avoid the Europa League. Fans and pundits seriously discuss the benefits of teams missing out on a higher league finish in order to avoid the competition. Playing in the Europa, it is said, damages a team's chances of doing well. All of which is complete nonsense.
Make no mistake, the Europa League is a horrible competition. Not only is it a cup competition that is half league, half cup, it's a competition in which teams that get knocked out of another competition get the chance to compete, and one which admits teams from way down national leagues, sometimes for the daftest of reasons. Fair play qualification? Do me a favour.
Its purpose seems to be to give as many clubs as possible the chance to make some money by competing in a Champions League lite, therefore heading off any challenge to the institutionalised supremacy of the Champions League regulars. It has reduced the once-proud UEFA Cup, a competition said by many of those who played in it to be at least as tough as the old European Cup, to a sad shadow of what it was.
But the point of sport is surely to win, or to do as well as possible. So arguing that you win by not doing as well as possible is perverse. In fact, the argument about the benefits of not qualifying for the Europa League is very perverse indeed. Much current wisdom has it that clubs that, because of the increasingly institutionalised nature of the Champions League regulars, have little to no chance of winning the Champions League, need to avoid qualifying for the Europa League so they can increase their chances of qualifying for a competition that they have little to no chance of winning.
It's not exactly Roy of the Rovers, is it?
It's also argued that the Europa League, as a sprawling competition, exerts a greater toll on clubs. More games, you see. More pressure on squads. Except that qualifying for a Europa League group of four presents a team with exactly the same number of group stage games as qualifying for a Champions League group of four. And, arguably, much of the opposition in the Europa League group stages is not as testing.
Of course, it really all comes down to money. The Champions League is the only show in town because it's where the big bucks are. Therefore anything else is not really worth the time. When English clubs and English pundits say the Europa League is a distraction, what they really mean is that they think it's beneath them. It's not really worth bothering about.
All of which is further illustration of the short-sightedness and arrogance that plagues the English game. Gaining experience from playing in Europe is surely better than gaining nothing by not playing in Europe. Clubs such as Spurs and Liverpool, which have been said to have suffered through qualifying for the Europa League, have deep enough squad resources to cope, and any failings in those squads would apply equally in other competitions. And, in any case, there's that question of experience.
This season, many Everton fans have pointed to the club's sustained attempt to compete in the Europa League as a reason for the failure to finish in the top half of the Premier League. But would that squad really have secured a higher league finish? And is there not a longer-term benefit from gaining experience against European opposition to be considered?
The Europa League doesn’t have the glamour or the financial rewards of the Champions League. And regular qualification for the Europa may grate because it underlines the institutional barriers reinforced by the way European competition rewards its top achievers. But it can offer valuable team-building experience and, as Unai Emerey, Sevilla and the 7,000 Sevilla fans present at the final will surely testify, it can also offer the invaluable experience of winning a major tournament.
It’s about time English clubs started looking at what the Europa League can offer, rather than moaning about what it doesn’t.
I am asking the powers to be, to add another icon button that allows me to cast my opinion on a comment that replies ' stating the obvious ' I do not believe that anyone is objecting to playing in Europ , Its the format that is being questioned. As we are in it ,we need to give it our best efforts. I don't have to agree with the way its set out.

If sky had the rights to the Europa peoples impression of the tournament in this country would change almost overnight.
Don't agree. Its money at the moment that predicts the format. Sky would probably make it worse and anyone that disagrees with the current format would see through it.

Nope. Mental.

The huge money is available in two places. Staying in the prem and getting into the CL. We will find it very difficult to beat the present top four in the prem, but we should be able to give the likes of Sevilla a serious fucking shoeing.

We'll make a lot more dough winning the EL and finishing 10th than we will finishing fifth and winning the LC.
If you want to withdraw the 'mental' bit, I'll reply :thumbup:

Can someone clear something up for me? In the automatic group stage bids, the winner of the FA cup gets a spot. Assuming the goons beat Villa, who would get that spot? Does it go to Villa since they are the runner-up? Granted, I've only limited my research to the Wikipedia page...

I assume the same situation will happen with Barca and Atletico Bilbao in the Copa del Rey.

Can someone clear something up for me? In the automatic group stage bids, the winner of the FA cup gets a spot. Assuming the goons beat Villa, who would get that spot? Does it go to Villa since they are the runner-up? Granted, I've only limited my research to the Wikipedia page...

I assume the same situation will happen with Barca and Atletico Bilbao in the Copa del Rey.
UEFA changed the rule so only the winner gets a place. If woolwich win it goes to the league.

Back
Top Bottom